Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st one (Teflon Universal)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2016 at 10:38am
My serial# is 139xxx. That would put it in the GI bolt era.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal2.html
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2020 at 10:25am
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2020 at 12:25pm
Not a Teflon..
A Stainless Steel Universal spotted on an auction site

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/UnivesalStainless1.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/UniversalStainless2.jpg
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2020 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Not a Teflon..
A Stainless Steel Universal spotted on an auction site

If anyone has an interest in a stainless carbine, the Iver Johnsons manufactured in Middlesex are USGI compatible. All Universals I have seen are Gen 2 or maybe 3. IJ did use whatever parts they had, IJ, Plainfield and Universal, but the action is GI compatible. 
vellnueve View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vellnueve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2024 at 10:04pm
Found another Teflon gun in Tulsa. I had bought a blue one months ago but it ended up having severe corrosion in the gas system as is common, so I returned it. This past weekend I think I was more fortunate.

This one was being sold by a dealer who’s kid had used it for hunting for several years before graduating to a 300 BLK, so I’m reasonably confident it works, although I didn’t have an Allen wrench to take it down and check. Came with 150 rounds of Aguila ball ammo and 40 rounds of Federal JSP for $600 even - I’ll take that deal every day and twice on Sunday.

I’m not sure that the mag is original, it’s U marked and most of the existing pics and references show a 5 round mag. I wasn’t sure about the cheese grater either but the old catalog scans do show some came with Teflon cheese graters.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2024 at 1:47pm
Is this one green or blue?

The mag sounds like a Union Hardware wartime spares contract magazine. Is it also Teflon coated?

I have been looking into the commercial carbine manufacturers that sold magazines. I have identified some  vendor specific 30 round magazines.

As to other metal magazines
 5 round mags some look specific made, others are clearly 30 round cut down.
15 round mags I have only found one specifically different. The rest I suspect are USGI which were readily available.
The Iver Johnson I have only found the base plates separate.

Some companies offered stainless/nickel magazines. One company offered both. I am wondering if it was a publishing error.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2024 at 2:11pm

Some companies offered stainless/nickel magazines. One company offered both. I am wondering if it was a publishing error.

I have two stainless examples and have seen those posted on auction sites. I presume them to be Iver Johnson.
vellnueve View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vellnueve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2024 at 7:38pm

Is this one green or blue?

The mag sounds like a Union Hardware wartime spares contract magazine. Is it also Teflon coated?

I have been looking into the commercial carbine manufacturers that sold magazines. I have identified some  vendor specific 30 round magazines.

As to other metal magazines
 5 round mags some look specific made, others are clearly 30 round cut down.
15 round mags I have only found one specifically different. The rest I suspect are USGI which were readily available.
The Iver Johnson I have only found the base plates separate.

I'm not sure if it's teflon or just really well matched paint. All the other examples I've seen of this model are 5 rounders. On the other hand it's not hard to believe that they would sell extra teflon coated mags in higher capacities.

This appears to be the leaf green variant (I think, it doesn't really look olive drab in person)

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2024 at 10:04am
Vellnueve, I am not familiar with how things were "Teflon" coated in 1969/1970 era, but today there are certainly Teflon paints. A quick check it seem bead blasting the surface helps adhesion. Thin or flexible items would be prone to flaking or chipping of the finish.

With the abundance of USGI magazines and low cost it is probable that they were used by the commercial manufacturers as was USGI parts.

@Floydthecat, Yes IJ that listed both stainless and nickel. Stainless is not always non-magnetic. Usually this form of stainless is  noticably less magnetic.
The examples I have observed or others have checked have been magnetic.  So maybe they are nickel plated? Are yours magnetic?

Scherer magazines offered a 30 round stainless steel mags, which to date I have not located one.
The easiest way to tell a Scherer 30r form the IJ mag is the follower.
Scherer has a cut to hold the bolt open on the last round
Iver Johnson has follower more consistent with the 15 round mags that have a ramp for the bolt and does not hold the bolt open.

There are a few other differences winch will be addressed in a separate post at a later date

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2024 at 10:55am

The examples I have observed or others have checked have been magnetic.  So maybe they are nickel plated? Are yours magnetic?

When compared to blued USGI mags, mine are “barely” magnetic. I am convinced they are stainless. They came from the Ruth collection along with his stainless IJ carbine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12