Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt markings on S'G' Carbines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Weaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt markings on S'G' Carbines
    Posted: Jun 07 2016 at 2:59pm
I see on various S'G' and Irwin-Pedersen bolts where numbers are stamped.  Also flaming ordnance marks. I'm sure the flaming ordnance marks were inspector marks, but what about the numbers?  Is it possible that there were production lines with specific marks?
I have one bolt with a small, plain 4 on top of the lug, and I've seen pictures of various others with larger, fancier numerals either on the right lug or left lug and top or bottom.

I do have a tendency to over analyze things.  It's the scientist in me.
James Weaver
norwich93 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norwich93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2016 at 7:26am
James,

I think the highest number I've seen was a 2 on the bottom of the right lug on S'G' and IP production.  It probably was early attempts at heat lot or time period production to trace bad lots.  Flaming bomb use on bolt seems to rare, more common on the trigger housings in a few variants.

Regards, Rob
Rob Clark
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2016 at 9:45am
Concur with Rob, I've seen a 2 on the underside of lug. Have seen flaming bomb on receiver and barrel flat. Also have seen on trigger housing part. Sometimes the flaming bomb is upside down.
 Post Reply Post Reply