Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front Sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Sight
    Posted: May 19 2016 at 9:48pm
If I have a Front Sight that has R P in the Front and a number on the left side what Carbine would someone use it for. I read a past post that having that R P with that number goes on a different Carbine than a Rock-Ola.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=38209

Read Post #9. I think there talking about a IP Carbine

Frank

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 6:23pm
CCNL 324 talks about an RP marked front sight for Rockola with a number. An IP front sight can also have a number. An IP rear sight can be marked RP and the leaf might be marked RP. Not sure if there is an answer to the mystery of Rockola front sight source.

Any pics of it?
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 6:40pm
The only thing I was told by 2 Collectors is that when IP was taken over by SG the remaining parts from the contractor making these IP front sights that some made it to Rock-Ola. If you noticed what they were saying they did not mentioned it but knew who was it for and did it for obvious reasons. But one person I talked to said they have seen 2 of these sights on IP Rebuilds. I know nothing more than that. I would like to sell it or trade it to someone that could use it for the correct Carbine, but I don't think Rock-Ola is the Correct Carbine for this number on the left side. I wish I did.
Frank

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 7:29pm
What number is on the left side? How does the staking look?
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 10:16pm
The Number is 3

Frank
Frank

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 10:21pm
And the staking?
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 10:51pm
I'm assuming you talking about the staking across the Front Sight Pin Hole ?

Frank

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 1:12pm
OK, as BQ stated on milsurps the RP marking was made by Planert Skate for Rock-Ola. there are two types of RP marks

Now there were many instances of parts being transferred from one company to another. Sometimes this was not documented or those records have not been found. In the case of front sights I do not believe it has been documented that Rock-ola sent front sights to Irwin-Pedersen. However they did send sights to Saginaw plant.
Further there have been reports of RP sights with numbers found on the side on original IP and S'G' carbines.
The way to tell what carbine the sight came off is by the staking if possible or other markings. In the case of IP/S'G' there are clear differences.

In the case of Rock-ola they not only struck a line across the pin they also were known to stake the front or rear. I am guessing in an attempt to keep the keyway in place or to tighten up the sight. Look at the picture and you can see stake marks as seen on Rock-ola

Getting back to the transfer of these sights to Irwin-Pedersen. The IP contract was cancelled by the government due to problems with IP production. Saginaw Steering Gear in Saginaw Michigan had a contract to produce carbines (as well as other war items) The government bought or leased the Grand rapids facility and its contents. They then gave the contract to Saginaw SG to produce carbines at the Grand Rapids facility as well as Saginaw plant.
Saginaw sent a team to Grand Rapids and they took all IP stock on hand, checked the parts and salvaged what they could. They then began machining and assembling carbines with these left over parts. This is why you will see parts marked for IP on the early S'G' carbines.
Now to be clear, S'G' (and IP) evidently worked on both serial blocks simultaneously. So early is not purely dictated by the serial numbers in order. The Manufacturer Updates in the CCNLs address the production sequence.

I hope that is more clear.

Edit to add info from CCNL 324-8
From WB page 437
Plantert Mfg Co. was listed as a supplier to Saginaw
Planert Scate Co. was listed as a supplier to Rock-ola
both in Chicago. So same company or a division of other. or perhaps a printing erro

BTW 374-8 mentions the RP sight in the Update.

Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 2:19pm
Frank check News letter # 324 page 8 for more on this sight and how it got to Grand Rapids.

Chris
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 5:34pm
IP front sight numbers (at least the ones I've seen) are about half the size of the Rock pictured previously. Has anyone ever seen a 3 on an IP front sight?
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 6:01pm
I used a photo editor to enhance the picture. I resized it
Frank

Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 7:11pm
Here's one I have loose. It's larger like the 3 but is marked N on top.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 8:37am
The font looks similar to Frank's.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 9:11am
And are the larger numbers only typical to later IPs?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 9:47am
Interesting theory Doug.  Example of the number on an earlier IP front sight.  Other examples I've seen of this "7" look the same.

Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 4:16pm
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 4:22pm
Interesting it has a number but no other marks. Font looks similar.
 Post Reply Post Reply