Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Irwin-Pedersen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irwin-Pedersen
    Posted: May 08 2016 at 3:31pm
I posted this on another forum earlier, but thought I would share it here also.

Never thought I would own of of these but a very good collector friend found it in December and generously offered it to me.

The wood was very dry and dark and there was a thin powder of rust on most of the metal. Some areas (mag catch and butt plate) had significant rust. Three coats of RLO and the stock is almost black in the sun light. That was accompanied by several treatments of repetitive soaking metal in CLP and taking off rust with a toothbrush and tooth picks.

I believe this is an original, unmolested gun. Unmarked parts are the butt plate, extractor, and mag release. According to CC NL #374, these unmarked parts were noted on other IPs. The "SP" marked sear is probably by Stechertraung Lithograph Co. See related post at

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/sear-id_topic1110.html

The rusted butt plate was ID'd here at

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/butt-plate-id_topic1310_post5407.html?KW=#5407

There is no number on the left side of the front sight. CC NLs say most IPs had the number, indicating not all did. The only other stock I have that is even close to being as dark as this one is also an IR-IP stock.

Here are the pictures. The first 17 are "before" shots.

http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/rocker1951/slideshow/Irwin%20Pederson
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 9:25pm
Great score you have there!!!  I like that look!!!
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 4:44pm
It's so rare to see them like that, like Scott said great score ! Thanks so much for all the pictures.

Best
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 9:06pm
Very few examples of that SP sear that I know of. Three or four maybe. The two I know of are about 6k apart and one of them is this IP's. Sample size too small but both are original....which is nice. I've seen another IP not far from yours and it didn't have an SP sear.
 Post Reply Post Reply