Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual Marking Placement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual Marking Placement
    Posted: May 06 2016 at 5:49pm
I came across this marking on one of my USGI Carbines. It's in a place where you don't usually see a Marking. First I thought it was a "N" now I'm thinking it's a "Z" but if you look close you can see a "I" below it. Has anyone ever seen a marking like this on a USGI Front Sight and maybe give me a Clue why it's there or what it is. TIA

Frank

Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 6:17pm
I've never seen that before, but I like it! What carbine is it on?
Dave
Dave
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 6:37pm
It's on my '44 Winchester...
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 6:42pm
Dave, I think I showed it here...if not I can add it here.
Frank

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 9:03pm
What type of barrel band? Take a picture of sight from side so we can see ear shape
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:04pm
Here's one side of this puzzling Front Sight. It is on my '44 Winchester and I think I have a couple of Winchester Front Sights, but this is unique and I'm going to leave it on. I'm pretty sure I will never sell this one. I am though selling my Bavarian All Rock-Ola. There is this Very Nice Carbine I have my eyes on. Please let me know what type of Sight you think this is. I really would appreciate it. TIA

Frank

NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 6:46am
See NL 346, page 14 and NL 343, page 2. The NI marked sights are made by Niedener Rifle Corp. for Inland.
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 7:59am
I have a loose front sight marked exactly like the one the OP posted. I thought it was marked TN but could be IN.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 6:02pm
Since I posted this picture of the Sight with the unusual placement of its marking I have had a few people say it's from Niedner , but I have had a couple of people email me back from all the emails I sent to various Collectors and have been told it comes from National Cash Register Co. National Cash Register Co. did make several small parts for the M1 Carbine that they started to make these Front Sights, but quickly stop Production of them. Other than that one post that got his info from a CCNL it doesn't say where the information came from at least I didn't see it. I just wonder if it's possible it was from NCRCo. I did happen to view some Carbines from Newmarketarms as they list the maker of each and every part. There was one Inland that said the NI was from them. But them again I consider myself still a little new to collecting, but getting better in Collecting M1 Carbines. I just have 5 USGI Carbines since I just started a year and a half ago. I went after the ones I wanted to buy first. Here are 4. The '42 Winchester I bought is in the Safe at my parents home and my Commercial '78 Iver Johnson the one my Father bought me back in 1978 is going through a overhaul while I'm waiting for the Enforcer Stock I just bought from Gunbroker to get here.

Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 12:09pm
I need help in identifying this Front Sight I found. The only place where I can get any information is on http://m1family.com/topic46.html but skeptical about how accurate it is. Here is the Picture of this Front Sight it has R P in Front of the Sight like Rock-Ola markings. TIA

Frank

hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 12:13pm
Some IP sights were marked with a number on the left side. I think it indicated the height of the blade.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 12:53pm
Thanks hunterman...
Frank

Post Reply Post Reply