The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CMP Carbine National Match

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chas100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CMP Carbine National Match
    Posted: May 01 2016 at 9:44am
I'm thinking about registering for The CMP carbine match at the nationals this year. I've never been to the Nationals nor have I ever been in any type of sanctioned shooting event. I was planning on going last year (spectator only) but we had some family health issues and I was not able to go.

I was at the CMP North store this past week to pickup a spam can and a few other items and was talking with one of the NS employees about the rim fire Sporter match, CMP Carbine match and the CMP Garand match. I was especially interested in th RF and Carbine matches. I'm a pretty competitive person but other than a few of modified or mid grade rim fires (CZ lux and 2 CPC modified 10/22's) it would be more for just the fun of it and to get my feet wet with the nationals. He was telling me that the carbine match is a very popular event and it's a good one to try and have fun with.

I think I could do OK in the RF Sporter match. He also told me if I did the RF match it would be a good idea to also go to the RF Sporter clinic the day before since I had no experience with that or any other matches. I have taken some vacation days during the nationals and just hoping I'm able to at a minimum spend some time as a spectator this year.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these events or any others not mentioned. If so what are your thoughts on the events and also your thoughts on a newbie to the nationals entering matches. As I said I'm just interested in having some friendly competitive fun but I also don't want to stick out like a sore thumb competing with entrants that have big bucks in shooting equipment and clothing.

Sounds like a good time at camp Perry !
Thanks for any info
Chas
dek001 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dek001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 6:50pm
"I also don't want to stick out like a sore thumb competing with entrants that have big bucks in shooting equipment and clothing. "

First, you're not going to "stick out like a sore thumb" and you don't need to spend "big bucks" for equipment and clothing. The carbine match is conducted at 100'. A spotting scope would be the only item, besides your carbine, sling and two magazines, that you'd really need and you can find them at reasonable prices - your only shooting at 100' and basically using it to make sure your sighting shots are as close to center as possible. Other than that you'll be too busy shooting and scoring. The match takes place in late July or early August and it is hot and humid at Perry during those months. You're more likely to be shooting in a T shirt than a shooting jacket.
It is a fun match and your competing against yourself and no one else. Just make sure you've sighted your carbine at 100' before you go and that it works with your magazines.
If you haven't already done so, go to the CMP website for competitions -rulebooks
http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-competitions-rulebooks/

Register, go and enjoy the experience. You'll find that people will be more than willing to help you with any questions or difficulties you might encounter. Shooters are good folk.
 Post Reply Post Reply