The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Accuracy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accuracy
    Posted: Apr 22 2016 at 8:35am
If you don't shoot your M1 Carbine, none of this matters. But if you do and want to improve your accuracy if needed, I found that some shims between the barrel and the wood just behind the barrel band are needed. I found that no matter how tight the clamp was, there was still some rattle in that area. If you think about it, the clamp only pulls the wood together and if the barrel is slightly smaller then the space has to be filled.
I found that one layer of aluminum, that kind used for flashing was just the right thickness. Anything non flammable will work fine.
I cut two pieces, about 1"x 1", one for above and one below the barrel. Push the aluminum into the barrel channel to form it and trim if necessary. Put the gun back together and check the fit. This was just perfect for mine, add more if needed.
When you put the action back in the stock, don't forget to give the butt plate a slap with your hand before tightening the barrel clamp.
Happy shooting.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

johniv View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johniv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 4:13pm
Good info, thanks for that sir. I helped my carbines by tightening the  hook at the rear of the stock where the receiver hooks.This raises the barrel , and removes play. Just another way to do it.
FWIW
John
 Post Reply Post Reply