The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB: M1 Carbine stripped receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mel chung View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mel chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB: M1 Carbine stripped receiver
    Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 9:27pm
i have a friend who has most of the parts for an M1 Carbne except for the stripped receiver. Does anyone have a stripped receiver?  What condition? What manufacture?  3 day inspection please and send by us mail to Hawaii,Thanks, Mel Chung
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2016 at 7:37pm
Be careful, I think a receiver has to go through a licensed gun dealer
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2016 at 8:10pm
Yes, an M1 Carbine receiver definitely needs to go through an FFL.

There was a Quality Hardware receiver available at Century Arms within the last hour. at this link:

http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=139

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2016 at 8:18pm
Thank you David for the conformation. I don't think everyone knows that a receiver striped or not is the same as a complete rifle.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2016 at 9:50am
Started out going to a FFL and paying the transfer fee. Got a C&R and haven't been back since, as long as the item is C&R eligible, you're not running a business, yada yada yada, otherwise must go through FFL.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

https://www.atf.gov/file/61516/download

The best part of a C&R after not paying FFL fees is opening the box at home like a kid on Christmas morning.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2016 at 10:22am
Keep in mind that a C&R only covers them in original configuration, and a receiver isn't original configuration is it?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2016 at 11:10am
Looking for definition of original configuration in book. How it left the factory? Configuration as in it has all of it's parts? If I have an original 1st block Inland but iit is missing a sling swivel, is that original configuration? An interesting question.

Edit: Yup, nevermind. Found it.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2016 at 2:21pm
I've directed this question toward two individuals whom I trust, who are both experts in this type of law. One is an ATF agent who frequents my board, and another is an attorney in the field. I think the bare receiver should be C&R, since it's over 50 years old, and therefore a relic, though I've seen differing opinions online, so I'm going to folks I trust with the question. This may be kind of a grey area.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2016 at 4:59pm
From having a C&R myself, a bare receiver does not qualify as I understand it. However, given what was said above, I am wondering more if that's correct. If I had to make a call, I tend to think a receiver only requires a FFL.

As far as original configuration goes, I think a complete M1 carbine is what they mean, but with their interesting rules interpretation, it wouldn't shock me if they tried to play games with someone.

BTW, I can testify that a C&R license has very few negatives about it. It's fairly easy to get, extremely convenient, and a money saver in FFL check and buying some items online. I have had mine about a year and haven't been turned down yet in over ten transactions.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2016 at 5:05pm
Yes, a C&R FFL is certainly convenient, and I would recommend it to those who don't have one.

I'm now leaning towards a bare receiver not qualifying for C&R, based on what I've heard so far in the post I made on on my board, but I have not heard yet from the two folks I mentioned. It seems that bare frames or receivers from military firearms have been specifically called out recently as not being C&R by ATF. I will update as soon as I hear definitively.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2016 at 7:44pm
Thanks for checking David. Wonder what the point of the "original configuration" stipulation is? No matter, it's always better to err on the side of caution regardless.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2016 at 8:02pm
The original configuration stipulation is there because some C&R firearms achieve C&R status because they are unique, or otherwise appealing to collectors in their original configuration. If a firearm is changed significantly from its original configuration, it may lose its uniqueness or appeal as originally enabled it to be placed on the list. I feel this is in conflict with the 50-year old relic rule, though, if the firearm, such as an original M1 Carbine, is the firearm in question. However, I don't make the rules, so I'm waiting for my colleagues to provide their input on this particular question about bare receivers. As I stated earlier, it looks like ATF does not consider stripped military firearm receivers to be C&R, probably because they were trying to prevent more receivers from being imported.

Here is what another friend pointed out to me:

27 CFR 178.118: IMPORTATION OF CERTAIN FIREARMS CLASSIFIED AS CURIOS OR RELICS

"In classifying firearms as curios or relics under this regulation, ATF has recognized only assembled firearms as curios or relics. Moreover, ATF’s classification of surplus military firearms as curios or relics has extended only to those firearms in their original military configuration. Frames or receivers of curios or relics and surplus military firearms not in their original military configuration were not generally recognized as curios or relics by ATF since they were not of special interest or value as collector’s items. More specifically, they did not meet the definition of curio or relic in section 178.11 as firearms of special interest to collectors by reason of a quality other than is ordinarily associated with sporting firearms or offensive or defensive weapons. Furthermore, they did not ordinarily have monetary value as novel, rare, or bizarre firearms; nor were they generally considered curios or relics because of their association with some historical figure, period or event."

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2016 at 3:24am
This seems to settle it...

What firearms are considered to be curio and relic firearms?

Curio and relic firearms are defined as firearms which are of special interest to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as a curio or relic, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

(1) Firearms manufactured at least 50 years prior the current date, but not including replicas thereof;

(2) Firearms certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

(3) Firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, or bizarre or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

ATF has recognized only complete, assembled firearms as curios or relics. ATF’s classification of surplus military firearms as curios or relics has extended only to those firearms in their original military configuration. Frames or receivers of curios or relics are not generally recognized as curios or relics.

Collectors wishing to obtain a determination whether a particular firearm qualifies for classification as a curio or relic may submit a written request for a determination to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch. ATF’s classifications of curios and relics firearms are published in ATF Publication 5300.11.

Last Reviewed February 10, 2016

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-firearms-are-considered-be-curio-and-relic-firearms

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2016 at 9:39am
You have provided information that should make a lot of people very happy.
We are very lucky to have you as a member of this club.
The very best health to you,
Charles
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

lbelflowers View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lbelflowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2016 at 9:15pm
Go with what CMP sent to you. A complete carbine in a cardboard box with egg crate foam.
 Post Reply Post Reply