Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carved lettering on Stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeoulFood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carved lettering on Stock
    Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 8:43pm
There is a carbine on gunbroker with CAI import markings and a strange carving on the stock.
It is four letters so I don't really think it's just someone's initials. What I originally thought to be a "C" looks like it could be something else, but who knows. It may not mean anything, or we may never know, but nevertheless I want to see what this brings to mind for you guys.

SeoulFood View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeoulFood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 8:48pm
Some additional images, it's a pretty beat up old gun. The seller wants $749 for it!

weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 9:26pm
QMR1 ?

Quarter Master R1?

Interesting, and since the sn is stamped, you'd think a unit marking would be stamped too - almost looks like electro-penciled?
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 10:32pm
I think the numbers are characteristic of an Israeli return and the letters look like Hebrew.
JackP
Tired Retired View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tired Retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 10:35pm
The stenciled serial number looks like an Israeli stamp.  That would match the import stamp which was mentioned.  The elctro pen could have been added at any point in the carbine's life.  Sure that is a personal marking.  But is it US, Israeli, or any other place the carbine has lived in the last 70 years?

Just my two cents...
SeoulFood View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeoulFood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 10:43pm
Wow, I think you're right jack! Definitely looks like Hebrew. Thanks! 
 Post Reply Post Reply