The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

m1a1 aftermarket butt plate position

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baytown bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: m1a1 aftermarket butt plate position
    Posted: Apr 01 2016 at 10:10pm
What is the correct position of the folding stock butt plate when folded (at rest) It seems without a rubber pad or such, the butt plate whether at 45, 90 or 180 degrees will scratch the side of my stock.
Did the original stock have an indent for the butt plate?
crashtestnewbie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashtestnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2016 at 1:13am
Every USGI i have seen has marks fron the plate hitting stock. Though it is supposed to be folded flat against stock. I do not think keeping stock dent free was an issue.
Make everyday a good day
baytown bob View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baytown bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2016 at 8:57am
Thanks for the info...perhaps I will cut my own indent. I am a picky sob.
bob
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2016 at 9:45am
One way to check if an original M1A1 has been monkeyed with is to see if the butt plate mates up perfectly with the dent in the stock. I learned this the hard way because no matter how many times I folded my M1A1 stock, I couldn't get the butt plate to reach the indent in the stock. It came close but, close only works with. . well you know. Not original, it had to go. Buyer beware! Just my opinion of course.
Dave
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2016 at 8:39pm
Wire stock locks in folded and unfolded positions.  Last picture shows wire stock folded and associated mark.  I see three sets of marks.  The mark to the right (made by butt plate edge), the mark to the left and the marks in between.  Note the mark on the right appears a little deeper (and wider) that the one on the left.  In addition, the radius edges of the butt plate don't reach far to leave any mark.  Maybe the wire stock was replaced at arsenal, hence the second set of marks?  Or maybe one thing caused all of it? Anyone venture a guess what caused the other marks on the 2nd prod example below?

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 9:17am
Here's a picture of an M1A1 wire stock butt plate when pressed down.

Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 2:08pm
If you repeatedly close the stock, then apply a bit more force to flatten the buttplate all the way, the marks will appear, and be in the right position.  If you cut them in it may not match.  Couple hundred cycles is what it took on my repro stock plus a bit of linseed oil to soften the wood a bit.

btw from what I have seen the originals wind up with almost black marks.  New marks like on a repro stock are lighter.  To get the right look on my repro stock I dabbed a bit of Transtint walnut dye at points of contact.

Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 2:19pm
Can't tell from the pic if the resting position of the buttplate edge when folded reaches the second mark.  My original has 2 distinct areas with a "smear" mark in between.  One where the buttplate initially contacts, and one where it rests when flattened, smear mark is the edge dragging along.

From the pics looks like second mark is the resting position of the totally folded buttplate.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 5:49pm
It can. Depends on the fit of the wire stock, how well it folds and its location where it touches the stock. My experiment above is a sample size of one. Hardly evidence but observation can lead to seeing a potential source of the main mark and the other marks. The question I always had was how/why was the butt plate depressed in such a way. Had it slung across my back at a show once and could see force like a heavy pack or scrambling to a fox hole applying such force. Don't see how it could be depressed in the hands of a collector, even if it's shot. Old marks do seem to differ than recent marks but hard to know for sure.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 6:42pm
I'll bet it folds flat so it can fit in the jump case with a lower profile.  I carried mine to a show in the case and when I inserted it the handle folded flat on its own and prevented a buldge.  It is spring loaded and I can't think of any other reason why it would be.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 6:50pm
Int the rhelm of possibilities. With two points of contact, a blow to it would be spread out whereas a blow with the buttplate perpendicular to the stock could results in a crack. I've never paid attention to the inside of the stock to see if the wood is built up in that area. Have yet to see one cracked in that area. It's always at the recoil pate, back of the stock or underneath. Just thinking about it being perpendicular, a blow should cause the buttplate to splay out thus distributing the force. Pretty ingenious if one thinks about it. Almost as ingenious as the folding stock mechanism itself.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 7:09pm
Imagine that edge against your leg or your back in a hard landing.  Ouch.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2017 at 8:50pm
GI cases have padding in them, imagine that is why. Quite the shock landing on the ground with an M1A1 strapped to one's leg.
 Post Reply Post Reply