Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unknown stock markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unknown stock markings
    Posted: Mar 25 2016 at 9:40am

Just got Inland SN800K with RSG Type III stock (not M2). There is an oval also stamped in the slingwell.
I believe the stock is Saginaw Gear but don't know what the oval is. Would that be for Overton?

Also, the stock is stamped MRT (Caps) on the right side above the trigger well. I can't find that in any of my books. I wouldn't think it is "mildew resistant treated" but don't know what it stands for. 
Would appreciate some help on these 2 items.
Thanks

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2016 at 11:09am
The RSG is what's important. It's Robert Irwin for Saginaw. Look at the O looking things as a possible indicator of it being an Irwin stock. Also, look at the snout of the stock and notice the quick taper of it as it heads towards the bottom. The markings that look like MR are most likely rebuild marks from Mount Rainier.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2016 at 11:50am
Most MR stamps i have seen were quire smallest i have seen. Usually near oil cut. The post war ops page shows a large MRM. yours looks like MRI to me.
If Mount Rainer then last letter would be inspector. I would venture a guess that the larger would be earlier. That location was also found to be undesired as potentially cracking stock.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 8:22am
Thanks for the inputs. I've added another PIC that shows the MRT a little more clearly. 
I forgot to mention that the stock does not have a crosscannon or any other rebuild stamps.
Nor does it have a P proof stamp anywhere.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 8:56am
Nice stock.  Looks like it has brass pin repairs in the recoil plate area.  Would it be possible to get a few pics of that area?  Always enjoy seeing arsenal (vs. Bubba) repairs.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 9:02am

Here is a Mount Rainer rebuild from page listed above.
The fonts are the same. Last letter being the difference.

I still see a possible M R I on yours. the bottom of the I seems to lay on the grain of the wood. Or I am just seeing the grain. try taking the picture with the stock upside down.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 9:18am
OK. Will take a few more pics and post later today
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 3:15pm
first for newbrass.
Will follow with pics for m1a1fan.
The MR? stamp is clearly MRT. Observed from all angles and that is the only thing it can be.
The one disappointment with this stock is the slop with the fit of the recoil plate. see pic.

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 3:28pm
for m1a1fan.
2 Pics of the repair area plus the rack stamp on the heel. Notice that only one pin went all the way thru. 
I will follow this up with some general pics of the stock.

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 3:46pm
New RSG stock photos.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 4:51pm
With those pictures it is more clear that what looked like the bottom of an I is the grain. So it is in fact MRT. So it was rebuilt at Mount Rainer. the Inspectors letter was T. Could be first initial of last name or a person code or maybe a date code.

Might be a good project for someone to look into the rebuilders and the codes.

The brass pins are actually threaded with a solid shoulder. They would drill a hole, screw in rod and cut and sand the stock.

The area around the recoil area is typical of the RSG stocks.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 5:10pm
Don't see a crack in that area.  Wonder what the pins are for?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 6:07pm
There appears to be a hairline crack where I've indicated on photo. The repair was quite good.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2016 at 6:19pm
When I first started collecting, I looked down on arsenal repaired stocks.  Now, I'm the opposite.  Early on, there was an M1A1 on the CMP WTS which I passed on because it had arsenal repairs.  Didn't even ask questions or ask for pics.  Think it was reasonably priced as well.  Back on topic...

What skill these woodworkers had.  Can you see the repairs on the inside of the stock?
 Post Reply Post Reply