Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw fore end

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tda003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw fore end
    Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 10:25am
Brand new to the site and to M1 carbines.  I was cleaning my new (to me) M1 carbine from CMP sales, I found out the stock has a BA cartouche "BA" on the left side just above the sling inlet and stamped "SA" on the top of left side next to the barrel channel.  I'm told this stands for Benicia Arsenal where it was apparently rebuilt with a Springfield Arsenal stock.  The hand guard is stamped "RSG" on the bottom edge which Canfield states is a Saginaw hand guard.  So far everything is good.  However, Canfield states that all known Saginaw hand guards are of the 2 rivet variety and this hand guard definitely has 4 rivets.  Thoughts?  Thanks
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 1:21pm
Welcome to the forums!
your carbine was rebuilt at least twice by two different arsenals as you mention BA and SA
Seems your Hand guard was also rebuilt.

Could you post a picture to let others see this.
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
tda003 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tda003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 1:30pm
BLO on fore end still drying, but I'll give it a go.
tda003 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tda003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 2:15pm
Here's a stab at the pictures

tda003 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tda003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 2:16pm
Sorry for the shine.  Not finished w/ the BLO
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 4:14pm
good stuff, see how the wood has been relieved further back between the two rivets to fit the longer metal tab. 

Got to set a timer to see how long before the BLO vs RLO debate starts.
moneawon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneawon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 4:58pm
It's been suggested that RLO is the way to go. Some like BLO. I've been told I need to use something but have yet to do so. WWAWW2GID?

As usual, I'm off topic. To the OP, can you post pics of the top side of the handguard? Also, congrats on your new acquisition.
tda003 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tda003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 5:55pm
Inasmuch as I've already started w/ BLO, the argument of RLO vs. BLO, although of great interest, is moot.  However, I look forward to reading both sides of this debate.
tda003 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tda003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 6:06pm
Photo of top of Saginaw handguard.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 6:44pm
BLO will seriously distort a cartouche for good in most cases. Most online debates have ended with BLO getting slammed pretty good, but it does make your wood shiny! Seriously, RLO is the way to go. It leaves a more natural military look.
 Post Reply Post Reply