Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Pawn Shop find Underwood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Pawn Shop find Underwood
    Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 10:13am
I found this at a Nashville Pawn Shop, and am very pleased. It is not perfect, but I was looking for a Shooter anyway.

1943 Underwood Serial # 2589470. It is perfect for a shooter, as it went through rebuild at Springfield Armory in 1952, where the barrel was replaced, and has late model sights, trigger assembly.

I cleaned it up, polished the feed ramp, and it is a Great Shooter, and takes any fmj, soft points I feed it.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 11:01am
Here is a shot of it.

Retired Army, 22 years.
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 4:16pm
Don't you just love walking up on great find ? Congrat's it looks very clean, glad your enjoying it.

Chris
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 11:19pm
     A lot of my best finds have come out of pawn shops. But you have to be there within a few days of them being put out for sale and some times within hours.
     Just curious what did you have to give for your carbine?
                                                 Gene
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 7:24am
The carbine came with 7 magazines, a bayonet and sling. He said it was a Universal, and with the late model adjustable rear sight sticking out, could only see the UN of the name. He wanted $490, but it was very dirty, so we settled on 400 which I thought was fair. I was looking for a shooter, so it being a Universal was not a problem. 

I was curios as to what year it  was made, since I only knew that Universals were made between 1960-80. Found a Universal site, and asked the guy what year mine was made? He checked, and said the serial number did not match any Universals. This is when I got out some WD40 and paper towel and started cleaning under the rear sight. Thus us when I found out I had a UNDERWOOD.  

I called the pawn shop to tell him there was a mistake on the sale, and he promptly said "All Sales are Final". So I am stuck with it. :)

I have done a lot of cleaning on it, and refinished the stock. Here it a shot of it in the pawn shop.

Retired Army, 22 years.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 9:33am
    Deals like that are what keeps me hitting the pawn shops. Gun shops and gun shows around here very rarely will have deals like that. Great find. Gene
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 9:49am
My goal now is to find one of those old Enforcer Carbine Pistols so I can legally replicate the carbine I carried in Nam.

Problem is they seem to fetch way too much money. Trying to find a old rust bucket, or one with out a stock, since I will be adding a modified M1 stock to it any way.

Retired Army, 22 years.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 5:52pm
You just about divulged your age with the pic. Years pass too quickly don't they and some days it seams like yesterday. What year and where were you over there? Gene
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 6:46pm
1966-67

Retired Army, 22 years.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2016 at 7:30pm
69-70 Quang Tri Province here   
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2016 at 9:59am
The Enforcer carbine pistols have gone through the roof on price for what they are, and Inland is releasing a Advisor Carbine Pistol next month. I have decided to get one, then pick up a old M2 stock and replicate my Nam gun.

Retired Army, 22 years.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2016 at 10:51pm
wd4ngb Just a link to CMP about new carbines. A couple other links by members within. You might have already seen them. Just trying to help with your project. Hope it helps, Gene   

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=188064&page=2
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2016 at 7:27am
Good information. The one good thing about the Inland's, is the parts will all interchange with GI issue.  This Advisor is a legal pistol, and much better than the old Enforcers which are the only ones that I can use to make the clone without ATF papers.

Retired Army, 22 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply