The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help-Won't pick up and feed new round

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help-Won't pick up and feed new round
    Posted: Mar 09 2016 at 11:31am
My carbine fires and ejects OK, but will not strip and feed new round from mag. Bolt closes normally on empty chamber. It does this on multiple mags (at least 5 different ones). I checked the ejector, extractor, and main spring. All seems OK. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Colreed
colreed1@hotmail.com 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2016 at 11:42am
this is commonly caused by magazine spring being installed backwards. The spring should have the longest dimension facing the rear of the magazine.

Reed, I am sure you have checked what I am about to say, but put it here for future searches on failure to feed.

Check that the nibs on the back of the magazine are not worn.
Clean and inspect the magazine catch to ensure magazine is being fully inserted
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2016 at 3:48pm
Dan,
Will do and thanks. I think I'll change out the mag catch while I'm at it. May be worn just ever so slightly. Will take a couple weeks to report back. Unfortunately, the range is not in my immediate future. 

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 10:18am
Pick up a couple Snap Caps, and try feeding them from the mags with a flat tip screw driver to see what is the problem. 

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 11:09am
thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to my list of things to do.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2017 at 1:47pm
I found that some of my newer mags was the problem ejecting rounds. If you put a known good mag next to a known faulty mag and look very carefully, notice a difference of those ears where the bullet exits the mag, the faulty mag will have longer and misshaped ears with sharp edges. You will find you can't push rounds out easily with your thumb nail. The bullet case is catching on those sharp edegs. Remove the spring. With a half round metal file , very carefully file the ears to soften the sharp edge until you can easily push a round out. Reinstall the spring making sure the full rounded part of the spring is in the back under the primer.   Be sure to clean the mag thoroughly when finished. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2017 at 2:14pm
Great tip, Charles.
I have often encountered mags that were more difficult to strip with thumbnail than others but never considered why. Will now tweek them as you suggest. Thanks.
Reed
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2017 at 3:44pm
Most of my feeding issues have been directly related to the magazine I'm using.  G.I. mags seem to work best, but I've even had issues with some of them. The newly manufactured ones I've bought, in my opinion, aren't worth a damn.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2017 at 5:17pm
I bought 50 NOS G.I. surplus mags from a fellow in Europe several years ago. Pristine and VERY SWEET. Thanks again for your inputs.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2017 at 10:51am
Can anyone post pictures as to the correct orientation of the spring to the follower. Also, is it a good idea to lightly oil the inside if the mag for smoother follower operation?
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2017 at 11:20am
It is not a good idea to oil the inside of a mag. That will attract dust and dirt. Just wipe it clean.
As far as the mag spring is concerned, there are many demonstrations on the internet, in a search box, type M1 carbine magazine maintenance and repair.

Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

this is commonly caused by magazine spring being installed backwards. The spring should have the longest dimension facing the rear of the magazine.

bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by RClark9595 RClark9595 wrote:

Can anyone post pictures as to the correct orientation of the spring to the follower. Also, is it a good idea to lightly oil the inside if the mag for smoother follower operation?

This manual is worth saving for future reference.

Go to page 97 of the manual and see figure 68 for correct spring orientation for a fifteen round magazine and figure 69 for a 30 round magazine.

If you lightly oil the inside of a magazine wipe it out before assembly. I just pull a oily rag through once and call it done and do that only rarely.

http://www.90thidpg.us/Reference/Manuals/TM9-1276_1947.pdf
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2017 at 1:14pm
Thank you bonnie and all who responded, my questions were answered, here is what I got from that really good manual, and I did download it.

Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2017 at 1:42pm
I noticed on my 15 round GI magazines that the top spring coil is slightly narrower than the bottom spring coil, I assume this is to orient the spring correctly as to top and bottom, although I see no mention of this anywhere.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
 Post Reply Post Reply