The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30 Carbine HP Ammo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 Carbine HP Ammo
    Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 10:26pm
I bought 2 boxes of this 30 Carbine Ammo. I showed it on Milsurps to Check if anyone has used this before, but didn't get anything. I'm hoping to get how do you think this Ammo will perform. If everyone here is a very active Milsurps Member then I totally understand that I will not get any information. I use this Barrel Mount I have on one of my M1 Carbines which has one Picatinny Slot. Perfect for my Pistol Light that I cannot use on my CZ Pistol collection. I collect the older model CZ's that do not have a mount for a Light. I like it for when my Wife tells me she heard something outside and wants me to go check. It has a strong Beam and Laser which ever I need to use. This Hollow Point Ammo has only 100 gr and the Velocity is 2025 fps compared to Critical Defense at 110 gr and it's Velocity is 2000 fps. I'm not a expert on 30 Carbine Ammo and just would like Opions. I wouldn't want to use this if it's going to hurt my M1 Carbine and yes I do have a Pistol in my drawer but has No Light to see down the sides of my House or the field behind it. I prefer a 15 Round Mag Carbine for Protection, but not my '44 NPM I showed here cause it's For Sale. I also found my folder which contains ALL the CMP Material I got with it.

Frank

Uncle Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 9:53am
Hi, I've tried this ammo and found it very accurate. Corbon is one of the premier self defense ammo companies. Evan Marshall who wrote several books on stopping power by using the statistics from real gun fights has stated that the DPX line is his go to self defense ammo. I found it shot slightly higher that commercial 30 Carbine ammo. I don't have a chronograph so I can only speculate it's a tad higher in velocity. I also have some Hornady Critical defense which I like also but has the added plus of having nickle plated cases. Not a real difference but something I personally like. I currently have the DPX loaded in my self defense Carbine.

I tried several mounts for a  light on my Carbine with limited success. I then settled on a shotgun mount from Brownells at under $10 with a Surefire Tactical flashlight. The Carbine being of light recoil it's easy to press the light and fire the weapon as needed. here's a picture ,regards, Mike

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 10:53am
Thanks Uncle Mike that was exactly what I was looking for. I like your mount. I know they have a quick detachable ome that I would like to get, but every time I go to order it there out and won't let me buy it to put it on back order. I appreciate your help. Thank You
Frank

HCSO249 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2017 at 9:32pm
Considering I spent $30+ for 20 rounds I haven't shot any of mine.  Always had good luck with Corbon & Hornady for duty ammo so thats why Im ok with it just sitting until I need it.
Fortune Favors the Foolish
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2017 at 7:39am
These look like they would be a outstanding Defense Round. Wish they were still in production, but due to the small M1 Carbine market, and the high per round price of these, I can see why they ended up stopping production on them. At $1 a round, I would have a good supply of them for home defense and SHTF use.

Retired Army, 22 years.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2017 at 12:00pm
I routinely reload-n-shoot an 86-grain 30-caliber (.308) jacketed soft-point Mauser bullet at an MV of 2250-or-so. The Underwood loves it. I have no idea if I'm doing long-term damage to the barrel, but it cycles well and patterns in the same spot as 110-grain commercial loads. 
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2017 at 2:24am
When I was actively reloading for my carbine, ( many years ago ), I used a 93 grain round nose hollow point made by Remington. Can't remember the weapon it was designed for but it was .309 in diameter. I routinely used small rifle primers and 15 grains of 2400 powder measured very carefully. I had to hold the bullet in the case to start seating it or the case would wrinkle in my old C and H "C" press. Then seat the bullet to the length of a loaded carbine round. These worked very well and were impressive to shoot.
  I liked 2400 powder as you could fill the case to the top and compress a bullet on top of the powder and not generate enough pressure to blow the gun or split a case. An added advantage was that at night there was no flash out the muzzle as the powder all burned in the barrel.
  In those days you either had to shoot 110 grain hardball or half jacket bullets for hunting, neither of which I wanted to use.
 Post Reply Post Reply