Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommended M1 Carbine Books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended M1 Carbine Books
    Posted: Feb 12 2016 at 9:28pm
I know this topic is potentially controversial, and I hope in advance that everyone who reads or participates in the discussion will keep in mind that these book reviews are my opinion, and yours may differ, and I welcome diversity of opinion. I take firearm books very seriously. I sell them, and collect them for my personal library, which is currently comprised of just short of 400 quality firearm books.

I will preface this by saying that I am not what I would consider an M1 Carbine expert. I am an enthusiast, and if I'm expert about anything involving the M1 Carbine, it is the manuals and other paper items that are associated with it, and I'm fairly knowledgeable about accessories, also. So, I am still learning, and have loved the Carbine for almost 32 years since I bought my first one.

From my perspective, these are the books that I recommend, in the order that I recommend them:

1. Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine, by Bruce N. Canfield, 1998 - This book frames up the M1 Carbine in a very organized, and quickly understandable fashion, and I still reference it frequently since I purchased it in 1999. If you have only one book on the subject, I recommend this one. It also has an index that helps with quickly finding what you're looking for.

2. War Baby! - The U.S. Caliber .30 Carbine, by Larry L. Ruth, 1992 - This is a Collector Grade publication, and has much more detailed information than you will find in the Canfield book, but its organization is somewhat more difficult to follow, and it does not have an index. You will need to spend some time looking for what you want to find, but the information is probably there. This is typical of the Collector Grade books…The publisher includes an extremely detailed Table of Contents, but no index.

3. Comprehensive M1 Carbine Guide, by R.C. Larson, 2010 – There is a second edition of this book, which is the one I would recommend. My copy is a first edition, and there are some inaccuracies, some of which were addressed in the second edition. I like this book because it has over 4,000 pictures, mostly in color, and has tabs that take you to the many different sections and manufacturers. There is no index, but this book takes a completely different approach, and doesn’t really need one. Some people don’t like this book because of some inaccuracies involving reproduction parts, and I understand the criticism, but I still like the book for the convenient guide that it is.

4. War Baby! Comes Home: The U.S. Caliber .30 Carbine, Volume II, by Larry L. Ruth, 1993 – This book covers the Korean War, U.S. aid and distribution/use of the Carbine around the world, Carbine accessories, and commercial Carbines. Like other Collector Grade books, it does not have an index, but it’s fairly easy to find what you’re looking for within a short time. I like the commercial Carbine section, in particular.

5. U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production, By Craig Riesch, 7th Edition, 2012 – I like the handiness of this book, and its comparison of characteristics between manufacturers. It has good accessory coverage. This is also a recommended choice if you want only one book on the M1 Carbine at a low price. ($22 range,) It can easily be taken to a gun show in a pouch or bag for quick information, and it is perceived as being accurate, with many editions of revision since first being published in 1994.

6. The M1 Carbine, by Tom Laemlein, 2006 – This is a picture book, with significant captions, of the M1 Carbine in combat during WWII. You will find photos here that will not be found elsewhere, and it’s a great reference for period use verification of various Carbines and accessories. I enjoy looking through this book whenever I get a chance.

I don’t have War Baby III yet…I will get it soon.

Please feel free to add other books that you recommend, and comments on the ones that I recommended above. Again, these recommendations are my opinions, and I’m certain others will vary.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2016 at 11:20pm
Nice work! I will point out that the main pages have a comprehensive listing of books and manuals for those reading.
I will point out that the Larson book has many issues including 'suspected fraudulent parts" pictured. These are sold by Larson which makes "reproduction" parts such as barrels and other parts.
nothing like promoting your wares as correct!

It is mostly plagiarized work of J.C Harrison with the addition of many photographs, which evidently some are edited and used more than once.

CCNL 364 has a compressive review by Brian Quick.

I would also point out that Amazon has reviews of books. I suggest reading the negative reviews as they are made by people familiar with the carbine. The positive reviews are by those who are looking into learning about the carbine and easily impressed by it good looks.

I would think education being the key to the club, and that promotion of that book or its parts are the antithesis of our mission and carbine collecting.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 2:43am
New2brass,

Thank you for your reply, and I realized my review of the Larson book might receive some contrary opinion.

I had not reviewed the book and manual section previously. The book section is quite comprehensive, with brief reviews of the content of each book.

The manual section is quite incomplete, in fact, nowhere near comprehensive, with many reproductions represented. It needs an overhaul using original example photos, and much additional material. I could help in this regard. It never ceases to amaze me how experts in a variety of firearm fields don't fully explore the many manuals and other paper items associated with their weapon of expertise. The different manual variations are time capsules of government generated knowledge that were put to paper, and should be completely explored. The CC has done a collectively good job of referencing FM's TB's, TM's, ORD SNL's, Base Workshop Manuals, Conference Courses, USMC courses of instruction, and Air Force publications through the years, but only a few of whom I consider advanced collectors can tell you much about the succession and range of publications for their firearm of expertise. I've made it a quest of mine to further education in the paper item firearm genre, particularly with the Thompson, Reising, Browning Machine Guns, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, U.S. Combat Shotguns, and Martial .22 Rifles, as well as others.

I'm not one to criticize without offering to help. There is a wealth of paper item information available that should also be referenced. I made an article contribution in the past (CCNL 369?) that covers some of the U.S. paper items associated with the M1 Carbine, and I'll help to improve the static content of manuals displayed here, if my help is wanted.

Sorry to get on my soapbox a bit about manuals and other paper items, but they are one of my passions in regards to firearms of many (most?) types. :-)

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 8:41am
I would challenge anyone to point to a website that has more books and manuals listed for the beginner to intermediate collector.

I will point out that many of the pages are being updated as time allows. 

Any help is always greatly appreciated. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 9:39am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I would challenge anyone to point to a website that has more books and manuals listed for the beginner to intermediate collector.

www.Machinegunboards.com

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2016 at 11:59am
I received my copy of War Baby III yesterday, and am very impressed with the book. I waited too long to buy it. (It was on my Christmas list for 2 years) First of all, it has an index for all 3 books, which is quite a welcome addition. I also didn't realize it covered the Reising .30 Carbine rifles in such detail, which is a subject very close to one of my main areas of interest. It covers new material found since the original 2 books were published over 20 years earlier, and also has excellent coverage of accessories. I will be working my way through this book for a while...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply