Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Other Wartime Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for the Right USGI M191A1 Pistol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for the Right USGI M191A1 Pistol
    Posted: Feb 11 2016 at 7:15pm
I'm looking for my First USGI M1911A1 .45 Semi-Auto Pistol. I shot my friends and Now I'm hooked. I'm not waiting for CMP to start selling there's. Just like ALL there M1 Carbine they have sold have been Mix Masters. I want to make sure the one I get is complete and not mixed up like I think some from CMP will ( maybe not...I'm not very familiar with what to look for). What I need is a Lesson. I'm not new to 1911 .45 Pistols. I did have a Real Nice Rock Island 1911 .45 for a couple years that I traded a year ago (wish I didn't). I want or like to do is know how to get the correct one. Colts are more Rare and expensive then the Rem that's fine if it's All Original. What specific parts to look out for and if you can Please Post a Picture. I heard some parts that can't be found are made or swapped. I just want to get the right one for me that's original with help from people here. I would hate to plunk down the Money I set aside for a year to get one. Other the GB what other Auction sites sell original ones that are all original. If anyone who knows anything about them please feel free to post whatever you can. I'm reaching out here to get some GREAT INFO. TIA

Frank
imntxs564@gmail.com

Frank

Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2016 at 1:02am
Frank, I would suggest that you start with getting a copy of Joe Poyer's book "The Model 1911 and 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols".  Just like carbines, there are a lot of variables and original examples are far less common than the rebuilt ones and do bring a premium price. 
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Scott C. Scott C. wrote:

Frank, I would suggest that you start with getting a copy of Joe Poyer's book "The Model 1911 and 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols".  Just like carbines, there are a lot of variables and original examples are far less common than the rebuilt ones and do bring a premium price. 

I second that suggestion. If you get the Poyer book, and want to further expand your M1911 library, I'd recommend the following:

1. U.S. Military Automatic Pistols, 1920-1945, by Edward Scott Meadows
2. Collectors Guide to the Colt .45 Service Pistols, Models of 1911 and 1911A1, by Charles Clawson
3. The Government Models, by William Goddard - This book is especially good for very detailed early history

The other Meadows books may also be of interest to you.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 8:24pm
Thanks...Sounds like a Great Start.
Frank

darrylta View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrylta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 9:33pm
A great 1911 seller to frequent would be JacktheDog, he is on the Auction Arms site.
I've bought a lot of original period 1911s from him, always good stuff.
Darryl
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 10:29pm
I did receive a couple of pictures from this Collector who is retiring and is selling of his Collection. I bought my '44 Winchester M1 Carbine from him. I'm pretty sure matter of fact I'm almost positive I will be buying this .45 from him. It looks Real Nice and he gave me a 5 Day inspection period just like he did with the Winchester. He is a Texas State Trooper lives by Dallas. Since the Winchester was everything he said it was I believe this Pistol shall be the same.

Frank

darrylta View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrylta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 10:46am
Some better photos would be nice?
-Darryl
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 11:10am
books first, join a couple forums and read - unless liberated from the military in WW1 or WW2 any sold would be mixmasters.

You can find a Remington Rand or a Colt that is not a mixmaster, not reblued, etc, but think 2k and up.

Edward Tinker
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I / Vol II and Vol III
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 11:29am
Go over to ( http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123 ) and post there on your 1911a1 but they'll want better pic's
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
DonFromTexas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFromTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2018 at 1:10pm
I am amused by the "collector" mode of wanting an all matched maker weapon.  In 20 years in the military, there just did not exist such an animal!  I find that I WANT a "mix master" weapon, since that is more realistically a true war weapon, instead of one someone put together later to make it a more collectible collection of parts.  Just some food for thought.  I was armed (not all at the same time of course) with a 1911A1, a carbine, an M1 Garand and an M16 and my "collection" is intentionally made up of "rack grade" weapons like I carried and shot.
Retired US Army Officer
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2019 at 6:35pm
If you want a good one, be ready for sticker shock. Any good one is going to set you back $1000 or more. The prices on these are climbing to the stratosphere! I have a near mint, all original remington with a colt serial number (overrun serial) that would get $1500 if I were to sell it. And no, it is not for sale. I couldn't replace it!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply