Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal Teflon Coated M1 Carbine in '69-70 Catlg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal Teflon Coated M1 Carbine in '69-70 Catlg
    Posted: Feb 08 2016 at 7:55pm
A couple of years ago, I acquired a 1969-70 Universal Firearms Corporation catalog. It features what it advertises as "The first gun ever coated with Teflon-S," which was applied to a special version of their M1 Carbine. My question is simple...Has anyone ever seen one of these?

They also show some deluxe versions, including a gold-plated M1 Carbine. I've seen one of those before, but thought it was something someone did on their own, and not a manufacturer offered option.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. I posted this a couple of years ago on my own website, but no one came forward to say they had one in their collection...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2016 at 8:58pm
pretty cool - an early one would be nice
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2016 at 8:01pm
manteo97 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manteo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2016 at 7:51pm
I own a 24 k gold plated original Universal S/N 30922. It came with the original box, plus ads, manual, and the 3 year warranty card. Written on the end of the box, along with caliber "30", is "GOLD". Only (visible) parts not plated are the front & rear sight, and round bolt. This is a "GEN II" Universal, ie has the non-ferrous re-designed trigger housing, but has USGI parts, mostly Inland (slide, bolt, mag catch, hammer, trigger). Even came with a KI marked plated magazine.

I don't normally collect commercial carbines, but this was offered to me at a great price 2 years ago. It's not the Universal with the 2 return springs & stamped slide, another reason why I bought it. 

It's a novelty, and real pretty to look at too.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2016 at 8:20pm
OH man, need to post pictures of that!
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2016 at 8:28pm
Has anyone seen one of these teflon coated Carbines recently?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
cameleon View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2016 at 9:27pm
New guy here. I have one. See my post "1st one" in this section.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2019 at 9:09am
Found this on the web

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2019 at 11:30am
There are a few photos of the plated carbines and one of the Teflon coated carbines on our commercial carbine website.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal4.html

I used to have the various sales brochures and catalogs available for download. I cleaned up a number of them to like new condition. Problem was people were downloading them then selling both digital and hard copies on both EBay and Gunbroker. I've left the manuals online though the problem continues with these. I don't mind people sharing for free but strongly dislike those who take the work of others and sell it for profit.

Regarding the Teflon coated Universals, the idea was a good one but not all of every metal part could be coated with Teflon or retain the coating. Examples being the bore of the barrel, inside of the gas piston housing gas piston, springs, etc.

The claims of Universal's marketing person of the Teflon coated carbines being impervious even to total submersion in water, salt water included, were more than a little over stated. To no surprise the exposed metal areas rusted.

Jim

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2020 at 10:26am
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2020 at 3:21pm
That one has been stored properly for a long time. I have seen them with much of the finish worn off, or rusted thru. Never that clean. 
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2020 at 9:54am
Teflon: one of the wonder products of the 60"s and example of "if you can Teflon it, do it". LOL

My first rifle was a 12th year birthday gift from my parents; a shiny new Remmington Nylon 66 22lr. I still have it. Got to love that DuPont nylon stock. Big smile

Thanks for sharing the photos. I had never heard of or seen a Teflon coated firearm. Are there more Teflon coated firearms out there?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

Are there more Teflon coated firearms out there?

Maybe Duracoat took it’s place. I think anything sprayed on a gun is likely to eventually come off.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2020 at 12:42pm
Floyd, as you pointed out that the finish chipped. The auction I noticed this on the buttplate.

Form talking with Jim, who authored the pages he says that he does not recall seeing any other manufacturers using Teflon on their guns like we see today with Duracoat.

Universal marketed the Teflon carbines as completely waterproof. Quite the claim.

Stainless Steel Universal in this thread

Edited by New2brass - Dec 02 2020 at 12:28pm
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2021 at 9:38pm
Simpson Ltd. had one of the gold colored Teflon coated Universal Carbines on their site the other day for $550. It sold quickly. Perhaps a member here purchased it? Here are the photos:

Happy Thanksgiving!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2021 at 10:58pm
Kind of handsome, albeit a little on the gaudy side!
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2021 at 7:39am
A teflon or gold-plated cow patti is still a cow patti.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2021 at 8:37am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

A teflon or gold-plated cow patti is still a cow patti.

Indeed. Makes my eyes hurt on top of it... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; that said I'm going to stick with USGI
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2021 at 2:47pm
Theoretically, Teflon probably seemed like a good idea. It looks great from a distance but if you zoom in on the gold Teflon finish and look a bit you will see why it wasn't a good idea.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply