The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Chamber Port

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Chamber Port
    Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 11:58pm
I'm hoping someone can please help me out here. I already wrapped everything to send the Inland Barrel to have it swapped out to replace the worn out one it has. The gas port is clogged on the one I'm going to use. Before I wrapped it I checked the port and it's clogged. I heard that there is a certain size of Bit you can gently use to twist it to unplug it or is there a type of Solvent I can be use to loosen it up and then use the bit to turn it back and forth. Now if I do it this way and it unplugs would I have to take it apart and clean the chamber out then re-install the piston and nut. I used the stem of the oiler and it goes right through the one I cleaned a lot and it goes all the way to the back. I would hate to disassemble the Nut and Piston. But is this the only way. BTW when I hold and close one end and blow the piston does move freely, but that's another thing when I assemble the Carbine back together when he sends it back to me shouldn't the gas port be clear. Any Advice ? TIA
Frank

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 11:11am
Hi Frank.
Hopefully your gunsmith will have checked it after installing and head spacing the barrel. After all there might be some metal shavings that could find their way into the port. When you get it back, just clean it normally. When you first shoot it, anything clogging the port will probably be blasted out by the hot gasses and the carbine will work normally (you don't want to take the piston apart if you don't have to). If not you will have to remove the gas piston nut and gas piston and use a .070 drill bit to chase out the port. Do this by hand being careful not to enlarge the hole or remove metal. A little solvent might help. After reassembling the piston and nut, check to see that the piston moves freely. Then restake the plug.

There's a nice cross section view of the gas cylinder here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/barrels.html
JackP
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Hi Frank.
Hopefully your gunsmith will have checked it after installing and head spacing the barrel. After all there might be some metal shavings that could find their way into the port. When you get it back, just clean it normally. When you first shoot it, anything clogging the port will probably be blasted out by the hot gasses and the carbine will work normally (you don't want to take the piston apart if you don't have to). If not you will have to remove the gas piston nut and gas piston and use a .070 drill bit to chase out the port. Do this by hand being careful not to enlarge the hole or remove metal. A little solvent might help. After reassembling the piston and nut, check to see that the piston moves freely. Then restake the plug.

There's a nice cross section view of the gas cylinder here:

Jack, Thank You So much for replying. I didn't want to remove the Nut and Piston as I heard that if not put back correctly the Nut could loosen on you then you have to Stake it like you said. I looked at it and didn't see any Stake Marks around the Nut. I'll just ask him to check it out and see if he can do it and let him deal with it. He has done several for guys on Milsurps and Bill recommended that I send it to him to have it done since it was a Hand Stamped Receiver. Also the size of the bit I couldn't find anything on back post what size I needed, but seen it somewhere. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the Help.
Frank

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 11:34am
Will your gunsmith be test firing the carbine after the installation? That's what I would do. If so, he will be able to tell if it needs to be disassembled.
JackP
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 1:20pm
Yeah he is...He said he was, but still going to be careful when I shoot it. I just got off the phone with him and told him about it and he said "I'll look over everything and what needs fixing will be fixed". Thank You.
Frank

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 10:05pm
Frank, taking the piston and nut out is the last resort you need to do. It's most likely been staked into place and the process of removing may cause more damage that you want to deal with. I have an IBM that came with a frozen up piston. First, I plugged the muzzle so not to leak. I then placed the muzzle end down and filled the barrel full of CLP up to the breech and let it soak for two or three days. I drained it after that and the piston was free. Just soaking the area on the outside of the gas cylinder/piston and letting it soak some will help. There are other products as good or better to use than CLP too.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 10:54pm
The one great thing is the piston moves freely. In the Technical Manual it does say that the Gas Port should be clear. I was just wanting to know cause I seen people talk about cleaning them. It did say that All Carbines are staked when installed, but I have a Carbine I've never messed with and the nut with the a little force comes right off unlike the one that the Nut was so tight it seemed welded, but I know it's not just using it as an example. So I didn't want to force it and break anything so I left it alone. I just wanted to know if I clean it how does that residue (clog) come out of the chamber without taking it apart. If these are staked already like it says in the Manual how do you clean out the chamber ? Before I put back my Inland together when the Barrel arrives any suggestions what I should to the Barrel before I put it together then shoot it a couple of times then clean it and put it away ?
Frank

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 11:38pm
During the tests of the original carbine prototypes, Winchester engineers noted that carbon did not accumulate in the gas cylinder because the gasses are too hot at that point. At the same time they noted that the gas piston nut tended to loosen, thus the need for staking. The answer to your question, "how does that residue come out" is that it is completely disintegrated by hot gasses. I would not worry about it if it cycles okay. Just make sure the nut is tight.
JackP
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2016 at 8:19am
I was thinking with people using all sort of ammo, old surplus and reloads that maybe some of these Carbines can get clogged or real dirty. After all the Barrel was so worn it had to be replaced. It came like that and was my first USGI Carbine buy so I didn't know a lot back then what to look for. I did get lucky though with this Carbine. It wasn't never reparked, non Import and it was a Hand Stamped. I got it for 650.00, but Finally knew why he gave such a great deal. I really like this Carbine and with this Nice '45 Inland Barrel that the ME was great it's going to group a lot better.
Frank

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 11:11am
So if the piston moves freely on the barrel you are going to remove it? Is that on the barrel you are replacing or your replacement barrel? Like Jack said, just the force of shooting these guns will do an amazing job of keeping the gas port clean. If you want to clean the gas port I gave you a good idea on what to do without taking the nut and piston out.

People get into problems with the carbine when they overthink stuff. They obsess with what's in this book or another and what marking this has or this doesn't. I guess what I am getting at is that don't do something based on this that or the other. Use your experience and go from there.

Also, judging by a picture of your handstamp on another forum I think I know why it was so cheap
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 11:17am
Which Receiver ?
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 11:34am
He did receive the Barrels on Thursday and looked them over and called and said everything look good for it to be changed. That's one thing he emphasized is that he needed to make sure there was nothing wrong with anything so he could swap them or if he found something that was wrong he would send them back cause it wouldn't be worth swapping them out. He told me that the shipping would take longer than swapping the them out. I just can't wait to get it back.
Frank

grump09 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grump09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2017 at 1:16pm
I have one that the nut loosens and all falls out. Intend to stake it but am not sure if the nut is in as far as it should be. A couple threads show after I have seated it as far as I dare. Any suggestions?
Moose Foot
bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2017 at 5:04pm
grump09,

Is it a USGI carbine?.

"as far as I dare"... You don't want to tighten it any more, or it will not tighten anymore?

Firmly tightened, not hard, while using a piston nut wrench is what I do. The nut should draw up even with the piston housing leaving the notched threads still exposed.

This is a good picture of what I'm trying to say. Just scroll down.

If it has fallen out I would clean the housing, nut, and piston, then reassemble and stake in place. Start the nut in by hand slowly so as not to cross thread the fine threads.

hth
 Post Reply Post Reply