Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are these?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are these?
    Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 10:13pm
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 5:48am
I need a wider pic but I'll take a shot. Carbine extractor plunger and spring? Plus an extractor spring!
J.R.

FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 7:19am
Yup, springs were found inside of one another.

Came from an early IBM I cut bolt. Very strange.

Speculated to be "home" work. Will provide better pics later as the above are at 10x magnification.
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 7:46am
Send me a cigar! The tight shot didn't help me but I took a "ed-u-macated" guess.
J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 7:51am
Plunger is some sort of very light metal. The whole thing is definitely not USGI. Drove my armorer (and myself) nuts trying to put it back together. The bolt tool didn't work very well since the spring doesn't push back.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 9:53am
I've used "coaxial" springs before to increase the range of adjustment for adjustable trigger pull on an old Ruger Model 77. It's really tricky but if you get the right free length of the stronger spring you can get a range of force of a few ounces to over 5 pounds without changing springs. I have no idea why this would help much with an extractor though. It's not like it's adjustable.   
JackP
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 10:02am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Plunger is some sort of very light metal. The whole thing is definitely not USGI. Drove my armorer (and myself) nuts trying to put it back together. The bolt tool didn't work very well since the spring doesn't push back.

The light color and rough finished threw me. It's NOT a USGI part for sure.
J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 5:17pm
Correct again. Home work parts, I guess. Smaller spring was found inside the larger one. Springs are useless. Not sure why someone would use those parts. A non collector probably would have corrected. Would love to know how they got there. Found in an IBM flat bolt.

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 9:51am
Some people don't like to have any pars left over, so put them somewhere.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 12:42pm
i had to make an ejector and makeshift extractor plunger once out of an old car antenna. the springs i could find so i reused them.  those parts remained in the bolt for probably 20 years or so until the invention of the internet and i found a source for spares. 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 2:47pm
Now that is ingenuity. Use what is around us to make things work in a pinch.

The bolt pictured above is from an IBM I cut and while I have the correct parts for it, it will be left alone and noted for the next owner. There is an article from Marty Black about not changing parts if they seem incorrect, but can’t find it. Doesn’t apply here since the parts are homemade and so flimsy. I’m not sure if the carbine would even work with them. The plunger is so light I’m not sure what it is made of. At one time an experienced collector speculated some of the parts might be from a pen.

How well did the parts you made function? Would you have any pictures of your parts? Really enjoy seeing ingenious solutions to make things work.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 3:05pm
Wonder if someone made that plunger tip from a nail ?
And the small spring from a Slide stop pin spring ?  Ermm

Had a friend fix a spring on a friend on mines shotgun (who he didn't like).
Buddy tried it and worked fine, but I don't recall the problem.

Later he told me he'd used part of a spring from a ballpoint pen.

m1a1fan,

I pulled a Hand Guard from a box that looked GI Type II. Closer look seen no top rivet holes. The home made retainer tab had what looked like 2 upholstery tacks driven in from the bottom. If it wasn't for the fact there were no rivet holes in the top, you'd of swore it was GI. 

Never under estimate the ingenuity of a country boy !

Thx for sharing this,

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 6:37pm
I ran across a hand guard that had tacks in it myself. I just took it as some commercial manufacture’s shortcut. I have also seem a stock set which the guard was screwed on from the top down into the stock. It had an enclosed slide rail. It looked “factory” and I figured it might be off a bb or toy gun.

I fixed a Lorcin with a cut nail once. I think that’s what they actually used for pins.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 6:45pm
Hmm, That might have been for the Ruger 10-22 carbine stock. I believe they were screwed down.
I think Sarco had them but out of stock.
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Hmm, That might have been for the Ruger 10-22 carbine stock. I believe they were screwed down.
I think Sarco had them but out of stock.

A. Arthur Brown has them is stock for $129 and 2 handguards

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 7:13pm
Sort of like that. I don’t recall seeing the cut-out for the sight, but it might have been there.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 7:48pm
They are out of stock as well. Not that I was looking for one. One of our members made a post looking for the m1a1 version.

Floyd, if you look through the pictures there are two handguards included, one without the hole should you decide to upgrade to their carbine style sights
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 10:23pm
Most of my pictures are locked up on Photo bucket. I'm worried if I commit tp paying more, they'll shut down soon afterward.
Anyway I found the old post about the hand guard on Milsurps, with a couple more pictures in the link:

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=64819

I'm not sure but think it's made from Southern hard pine.

Charlie-P777
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 10:39pm
Charlie, interesting HG, it is about a perfect copy.. Even cracked by the nose edge like some of them do. Never seen one like that before!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 10:49pm
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my link 'Highlighted in the post. So you can just click on it and it opens. Instead of users having to highlight it and right click then via google to open it.
I'm gonna try a Hyperlink ? here as a test.
Poor Dan is constantly following and kindly editing my links to correct them.

The HG I pulled out of a box of hundreds and was looking for a makers mark for 1/2 hr it seemed before I realized it wasn't a GI one......

Attempt at direct link via Hyper link (?)

Think I've got it !!

Ch-P777

Post Reply Post Reply