Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw S' G'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 3:13pm
Carbine parts "laying stripped down on the dinning room table", Awesome!
Dave
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by gene of oregon gene of oregon wrote:

Made the deal today ended giving $800 cash. The Saginaw S'G' is laying stripped down on the dinning room table. All parts are correct marked S'G' with no IP parts which surprised me being its 4442 lower ser. # than my other S'G' which has IP stamped parts.?? The hammer is a Quality LT Q   barrel new?? I'll post pics this weekend

When Saginaw took over the Grand Rapids plant they assembled what the could from parts. The blocks were produced simultaneously.

There is correlation to barrel dates and parts found in same range. up to 4-43 barrels more IP parts seen. 6-43 more S'G' parts seen.
Being your barrel has been swapped complicates matters. However the rear ear also tells a tale. Round ear early, Square later.
I think you said 1.80 serial which I do not think a square ear is seen, however CCNL 27 & 70 address this.
Depending on the 4th digit there are a few barrels on record. with 7-43 being prevalent. So I think you are good.
What is the barrel date on you other one?
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 10:07pm
Here Are the pics of the S'G' striped Let me know about it. Bolt needs to be stripped I'm a little concerned about the receiver, has it been sandblasted and reparked?? Gene

The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 2:01am
New2Brass    
        Barrel date on 1811xxx 8-43    When you say round ear, square ear, what is that referring to?? Gene
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 2:31pm
Look at receiver detail on data sheet located in links section.
It is the left rear of receiver with tooling hole. Only found on Grand Rapids produced receivers.

You did very will with your purchase.
Some very nice parts.

I would think with 8-43 it would be mostly S' G' parts.
With carbines never say never!
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 8:24pm

New2Brass    
        Barrel date on 1811xxx 8-43    When you say round ear, square ear, what is that referring to?? Gene

Yours is round !
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2016 at 8:19pm

Here Are the pics of the S'G' striped Let me know about it. Bolt needs to be stripped I'm a little concerned about the receiver, has it been sandblasted and reparked?? Gene

Yes, it's a repark. And the stock and rear sight aren't USGI, well, the cartouche isn't. Sorry. Unhappy The butt plate I don't think is either. ETA: I don't like the band either.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 12:42pm

tenOCEE    Appreciate your comments. Your right about the butt plate, I hadn't really checked the id books and took the side stamp for granite. It's a Saginaw S.G. butt plate. I am going to disagree with you on the stock. I've checked all my books with their cartouche stamps and I don't see a problem. I also have another S'G' stock that has been around the block a few times as far as wear and the cartouche match perfectly. Looking over the pic's of the cartouche I posted, I do see where it looks like there are 4 Fins? (not sure what they would be called???) but there are only 3. That is the only discrepancy I see. I would appreciate knowing what you see is wrong. Thanks, Gene   

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 1:32pm
Thanks, Gene. Sorry, but the stock cartouche is positively not original and not from a USGI stamp. There was one like it at Louisville in Jan on a put together IP with the same stamping. A local guy also went to Louisville a couple of years ago and came home with an S'G' that I believe had the same cartouche. Saw it for 1 second as he was trying to peddle it to a new guy without showing me. I never said anything to the buyer and didn't have to when he saw my face as he said he thought it was real. Seller admitted it wasn't once the subject was brought up. But boy was he mad at me though. But I never said a word.

The same stamp cartouche looks to be is in this box on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131722586314?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 6:12pm
There is no way to be gentle with this one ,.! Stock is not USGI so of coarse the cartouche is fake . barrel band , rear sight are also not USGI and I think the barrel is also aftermarket .
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 1:25am
    Hey guys I don't have a problem at all with your evaluations even though it's not what I wanted to hear. When I post pic's, I do expect comments, good bad or ugly. I do appreciate a member sending a private message with a pic of an original S'G' cartouche and then I saw the difference. My other S'G' stock matches his. This next week I'll be having a talk with the gun shop, can't really put the blame on them it was on consignment. Something will be worked out because they have another on consignment by the same guy.
    I remember when I first started and was talking to a couple carbine collectors, they told me "remember your going to make mistakes and hopefully not too costly"
                                   Thanks Again, Gene    
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 9:25am
Here are a few examples of S'G' cartouches that you can use for your future reference ..

http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/rcycles45/library/SG%20Cartouches
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 2:23pm
Rcycles Thanks for posting pic's, problem coming through. I'm having same problem. Lupus Dei sent this to me, I saw what I was doing wrong.
post issue
Gene, I fixed your link.
Did you copy and past the address or did you use the photobucket tool to the right which copies the link?
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 2:48pm
I just looked at your pictures.  I have to agree with Scott, stock is and cartouches are fakes!!  As well as the other parts.  That really sucks!!  I know and feel your pain, been there!!
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 6:46pm
Rcycles45 Pic's come through. I noticed that the Fake S stamp is upside down along with the left Side of the G. I know now that I could spot a fake right off. Where were you when I was buy that dam thing??? Har! Har! To be honest I've never had an I stock for sale in front of me and I got all excided, kinda like having a good looking blond wick at ya when your over the hill.
      Next Time I post Pic's I want you old time carbine guys to close your eyes. Har! Har!    Thanks Again, Gene
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12