Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Other Wartime Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine, Thompson, Bring back

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine, Thompson, Bring back
    Posted: Jan 30 2016 at 5:10pm
Just a quick picture from upstairs.

The carbine is one I picked up last year, its an Underwood - in the center is a T14 Nambu, it has a very bronze color to it, since it must have been nickle plated, but then someone must have stripped it off. The grips have been replaced by brass, with designs on them and a US Captains name on them. For some reason they are very worn, I have assume whoever took the nickle off was not careful.

The MP Badge was a close friend of mines, and I used to have a WW2 Colt where the Nambu is, but swapped it out a while ago.

The Thompson is one of the lend lease ones that was sent to Russia and all the parts came back - except the receivers. It is deactivated, the receiver is solid metal, but it makes for a nice display   

THOMPSON View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THOMPSON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2016 at 10:34pm
A very nice display!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2016 at 11:56pm
Police that sling!
I never knew a soldier to have a scabbard on when "bayonet ready" but it is a display.

Nice stuff.

PS more pics of the Nambu!
Thaddeus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2017 at 8:23am
Beautiful display! I am looking for at T14 Nambu at some point to expand the Japanese portion of my collection.

-T
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2017 at 9:36am
I have two T14 Nambus in my collection. I'll have to take some pictures...

Growing up in Hawaii, they were very commonly encountered. It was common for my favorite gun store there to have 20 of them in stock during the early 1980's. I guess being the first stop on the way back from the Pacific War, Hawaii ended up becoming a trading ground for them. (Probably in preparation for activity on Hotel Street)

Edit: adding photos of my 2 Nambu T-14's. They were both manufactured by Chuo Kogyo K.K. Works, 7 months apart from each other.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 8:11am
Know nothing about Nambus. Why the different color on the grips? Change in materials?
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2017 at 8:25am
m1a1fan,

The bottom one saw a lot more use, and the finish has some pitting and wear. The grips match the overall condition. I would expect that this was brought back from the Pacific by a GI, and was in tropical conditions for a period of time. It looks more like it was "rode hard, and put up wet" than the Nambu at the top.

The top one is in a lot better condition, and the grips match that overall condition.

I think the grips may be the same material, but I could be wrong. These are not "last ditch" guns, so they still demonstrate some finer finishing and craftsmanship.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 1:42am
Reading your post about the Nambu, I would suspect that the pistol had been chrome plated at one time, god only knows why. Under the chrome is nickel then copper as a base. The only way to get that stuff off properly is to take the parts to a good chrome shop and have them dipped to remove the nickel and copper. With the right solution it won't harm the metal parts but they will be bare metal and will need to be reblued along with the rest of the pistol.
  Early Nambus are fine pistols and I wish I had bought several when I had the chance and they were cheap.
 Post Reply Post Reply