Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw SG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw SG
    Posted: Jan 30 2016 at 7:32am

Here are pictures of my Saginaw M1.
I have bought it from a young guy who inherited it from his father. As he wanted to buy a more modern rifle and needed some money he sold it to me. The barrel was a bit rusty on the outside therefore I got it for a good price.
It is one of my nicest M1's I have to say but I am wondering a bit about the stock. I has a very faint SG in a box on the right side (I hope you can see it on the pictures) but apart from that no other visible markings (apart from the "Laura" on the right side behind the SG).

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2016 at 10:15am
Nice Carbine. I have an original SG similar to it in the 3.30m range with square S flip.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2016 at 10:31am
I wonder what caused the tool like marks (not saying that's what they are) on the top both sides of the flip base. I've seen some weird variations, but not anything like that. Very nice Saginaw variant. Most of the ones I see from Europe are the most unmolested looking carbines anywhere.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2016 at 4:40pm
I am digging the barrel flat marks. there is an upcoming article asking about a barrel with a "c" found on a Norwegian K.art return.

I am wondering if that "c" is the same size and shape. Any history where it may have served?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2016 at 8:06pm
Great carbine. Have yet to see a legit SG in person. Check the sling well. Markings can be hard to see. One of mine is marked but is very hard to see unless the light hits it right.
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2016 at 11:22am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I am digging the barrel flat marks. there is an upcoming article asking about a barrel with a "c" found on a Norwegian K.art return.

I am wondering if that "c" is the same size and shape. Any history where it may have served?

Unfortunately no information on the history of that carbine. The previous owner was from Luxembourg. There are a lot of weapons in the area that have been picked up after the battle of the bulge and ended up bein hidden unregistered in the attics, cellars and other places here in Luxembourg and Belgium.

Myself I have bought a G43 last year that was discovered in an attic of a house that was on sale by an old woman when her husband died and she needed the money to move to a retirement home. The G43 is now officially registered with me but was never registered before. I also used to own a Kar98 (Erfurt 1918) with basically the same story, I sold it some years ago.

This Saginaw might have served here in the Ardennes and stayed here after the war, but we will never know for sure.
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2016 at 7:28am
muzzle of the Saginaw

Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2016 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

I wonder what caused the tool like marks (not saying that's what they are) on the top both sides of the flip base.

When I first started researching M1 carbines I noticed a common claim in auction listings re. type 1 flip sights: No Stake Marks. ie. all stake marks indicate a replaced sight.  Found out later that isn't correct.

Underwood used sharp angular staking on their type 1 flip sight installs.  According to info I was given, Saginaw S.G., Quality, and Rockola would frequently use the tiny round punch to stake their flip sights.  NPM used both types. Saginaw also built receivers for Inland during a couple of periods and some Inlands have the marks.

There is so much depth of detail in the history of these it is no wonder they are popular with collectors.

Underwood Flip Sight Staking
Saginaw Flip Sight Staking
Rockola Flip Sight Staking
 Post Reply Post Reply