The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why were the Irwin Pedersen carbines not accepted?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why were the Irwin Pedersen carbines not accepted?
    Posted: Jan 25 2016 at 12:58pm
I am reading a lot about carbines lately, and a thing that still puzzles me, is why the 3542 carbines that Irwin Pedersen produced, were not accepted by government?
What what the main reason, couldn't they produce quick enough?

Hopefully one of your carbine experts can shine a light on this.
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 4:01pm
I figured someone would have answered by now, I am no expert but I will give it a shot.
From what I understand they (Irwin or Pedersen) were old school gunsmith/manufacturers. they were set in their ways in production and fitment. The Carbine called for parts which did not require fitment.

The IP carbine parts have machine marks specific to IP. Most usually from their set up jigs which from what I understand when moved from machine to machine for different machining process created compounded errors. I am guessing they just "fit" the offending pieces to correct this.

thought that specific carbine could pass initial inspection, it probably would not pass interchangeability tests.

Hopefully someone better versed can chime in. I would recommend War Baby as it gets into many of the ordeals with pulling together the manufactures to produce the carbines
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 4:10am
Yes, that could be the issue. Thanks for the info.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2016 at 2:16pm
Making interchangeable parts is something that has to be meticulously planned for, with production processes established, and the use of go/no go gauges, with master gauges to measure the gauges used on the line, among many other factors. I am not certain this was the issue with IP, but if they were old school gunsmiths/manufacturers as Lupus Dei mentions above, it is likely they had a failure to fully indoctrinate interchangeability into their culture, since it may have been predisposed to hand fit parts. Management would have been an issue if they allowed this, and didn't have the proper tolerance checks in place. The result was probably a bunch of individually functional M1 Carbines that wouldn't work if you mixed up the parts.

Incidentally, this happened with another WWII firearm, but not in the same manner. When the Reising Model 50 Submachine Gun was adopted by the USMC in 1941, they were under pressure to get their hands on a submachine gun, because the Thompson was in limited production, and almost all the output went to Britain, and the U.S. Army. The USMC could not get many Thompsons, so they contracted with H&R to build the Reising Model 50, which was already in production for civilian use. (Mostly law enforcement)

The Model 50 did great in tests by Russia, performed at H&R, and in other tests. It performed exceptionally, but the parts were hand fitted. The USMC knew this, but wanted a submachine gun fast. They decided to go with the gun produced as it was, because gearing up to produce fully interchangeable parts would have taken many months. The problem was, this fact was not communicated well through the Marine Corps ranks. So, in 1942, the USMC found themselves at Guadalcanal with the Reising, and began to clean the weapons communally. This became a fatal error, since the parts were not fully interchangeable, and weapons without original parts subsequently failed in combat. The Reising Model 50 got an underserved bad rap as a result. There were some other issues with the blued finish of the early guns rusting in the jungle conditions, but again, the issues were not the fault of H&R, but rather the fault of the USMC in its haste to field a submachine gun under pressure. When all this occurred on Guadalcanal, a Colonel weighed his options, and, knowing he had other shipments of Reisings inbound to him, and that he could change the cleaning processes used with them going forward, he gave an order to dispose of the Reisings that had parts switched out into a river. The bad taste for the Reising never really left the USMC grunt, because regardless of how it all came down, many thought the weapon itself failed them.

So, this gives you an idea of what could happen had hand-fitted M1 Carbines been accepted from IP, assuming that hand fitting was the issue in the first place.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 1:14am
I used to have one of those Model 50 Reisings.  It was a very dependable shooter and a lot of fun!!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2016 at 7:11pm
To answer the OP's question:

- "why the 3542 carbines that Irwin Pedersen produced, were not accepted by government?
What was the main reason, ? "

Cost per carbine was too high.
War Dept realized they had entered a bad contract agreement.

That's the main reason. Nothing to do with Quality,  interchangeability or production.

Regards
Charlie-painter777
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2016 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

- "why the 3542 carbines that Irwin Pedersen produced, were not accepted by government?

That's the main reason. Nothing to do with Quality,  interchangeability or production.

Regards
Charlie-painter777

painter777,

So, you're indicating the government entered into a contract for an agreed upon price, and IP made the Carbines, but the government didn't accept them because the contractually agreed upon price was too high? I have difficulty accepting this hypothesis without further substantiation. My understanding is that the government didn't accept them because they did not meet inspection criteria.

Please school me further on the high price theory...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 11:39am
According to Ruth War Baby, Irwin Pedersen failed to qualify a single carbine. At Aberdeen they had fractured receivers from tests.  Page 156 says that IP was going to lose their contract for failure to preform.

It goes on to show that IP was attempting to keep the contract.
Page 159 has notes From Doerfner that metallurgy was an issue.  Inexperience of the "company" with mass producing and the antiquated manufacturing methods advocated by John Pedersen

though I did not re-read the chapter in its entirety It is my understanding that the methods used and advocated by John Pedersen lent themselves to compounded errors from one machine setup to next.
If that was in fact case this would effect both quality and interchangeability.

Added
This is backed up on page 167 from Doerfner "there was little control of parts [at IP] to hold a close tolerances. This was the way all of the 'old' guns were done" also states what I said above about compounded errors.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 2:35pm
Hello David Albert,
I'm not the School You Type, just passing along some info.
I'm not saying the government entered into a contract for an agreed upon price.
They entered a contract  based on a cost-plus basis.
Production was delayed while trying to get all the in short supply/needed machinery.
IR-IP had start up problems like all the prime makers did.
Doerfner came in roughly the first of Dec 1942 to a mess. Parts being hand  fitted because of the lack of machinery.
Sound like it's getting pricey $$ now? (Cost-Plus++)
As late as IIRC Feb of 1943 IR-IP still wasn't up to speed on needed equipment.
Contract cancelled in March. SG takes over April 1.

Brothers Robert and Earle Irwin were already filling orders for furniture needed by Ordnance when they stepped into a 'Arranged agreement' at the Ordnance Departments urging with John Pedersen.
The Irwin family was able to keep a government contract to continue making stocks for the carbine effort after the cancelled IP contract. In fact when Saginaw Steering Gear took over the operations, the Irwin employess became employees of Saginaw Gear.
John Pedersen held no shares in the Irwin-Pedersen Arms Company and functioned as the arms consultant, with a monthly salary of $2000. Quoting Robert Irwin " Pedersen was a capable gun designer, he was not a practical production man"

The Irwins were having problems with both John Pedersen, Ordnance Sub Contractors, Inspectors and the Army Ordnance Department in Detroit.
In Robert Irwin's log he tells of securing parts CLEARED by inspectors at other carbine manufacturers, only to have inspectors reject them at his plant.
Robert Irwin knew their overhead and cost per unit was to high.
In May of 42 the Irwins learned, without conferring with them that John Pedersen had hired George Oliver of the E.W. Bliss Company in Brooklyn, New York as a production manager at a annual salary of $18,000 and was sending him to Grand Rapids to supervise and oversee the set up of machinery along with manufacturing.
A pricely sum in it's day.
Much of this info comes from a daily log kept by MR. Robert Irwin during the War Time Production.
The Irwin Seating Company is still in business today. They've been kind enough to pass along to me excerpts from Robert's log during WWII.

Regards
CH-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 10:14pm
painter777,

I appreciate you passing along the info, particularly the political details, which sound like they proved significant, and probably deserve additional discussion.

When I said "school me," I meant it to mean that I'm definitely open to further input on the subject. I probably should have expressed that differently.

It's been so long since I've seen a cost plus contract that I forgot about them...

I understand your point about the money, but I see it as a secondary factor. The main reason that IP Carbines were not accepted was that they didn't meet quality standards, even if politics may have influenced their acceptance. The history and professional makeup of the company at the time support the assertion that problems existed with product consistency. If IP had met the standards, even if they had been more expensive than other Carbine manufacturers, I believe they would have been accepted, if that remained consistent with the contractual language. The government was ultra-influential in driving down supplier costs in WWII, and I bet that a good deal of pressure would have been placed on IP to reduce their costs, and the learnings of other Carbine manufacturers would have become applied. At no other time in our history did companies share their knowledge and learned efficiencies that in peacetime were vehemently protected as competitive advantages.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2016 at 1:19pm
Very interesting to read the answers to the topic.......so basically....it -could- be interchangeability of parts, slow production and too high costs......or a mix between all of this....
I searched on the internet but there is not much to find.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2016 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Regards
Charlie-painter777

It can also been said about NPM. There Carbine were coming in around or over 63.00 that was way over what the Government wanted to spend. I think if I'm not mistaken it was in the 30 to 35.00 range. If anyone knows for sure Please feel free to correct this. The quality of NPM was one of the best. It's the only Carbine that passed the Rain Teat and they tried to get the other Manufacturers to follow this, but couldn't.
Frank

Post Reply Post Reply