Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Other Wartime Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MG 42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MG 42
    Posted: Jan 16 2016 at 12:41pm
Some time ago I heve spent my weekend cleaning this toy. Fully functioning but only allowed for the collection, no shooting. Would probably eat all my 8x57 ammo in some seconds.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2016 at 1:37pm
Sweet! at 1200-1550 rpm it get expensive fast!
We have semi auto MG34 and MG42 kits available in the states.
Was great when 8mm was .08 a round. last time I bought it was 10x that.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2016 at 6:16pm
so they allow you to own a fully functional MG42 but you cannot fire it? If so that would be sort of like just holding hands with Kate Upton!!
carbinecollector View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecollector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2016 at 10:14pm
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Wow.
Be safe go home
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2016 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by cali201 cali201 wrote:

so they allow you to own a fully functional MG42 but you cannot fire it? If so that would be sort of like just holding hands with Kate Upton!!

Curious. Given the choice of never seeing Kate Upton up close and personal or getting to just hold hands whenever you choose.........

Now who is this Kate Upton?
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 8:54am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

New2, you are kidding, aren't you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=kate+upton&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS579US586&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&tbm=isch&imgil=UfaDwcdC85Xn4M%253A%253BzQcb-YYMpy723M%253Bhttp
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 1:07pm

New2, you are kidding, aren't you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=kate+upton&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS579US586&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&tbm=isch&imgil=UfaDwcdC85Xn4M%253A%253BzQcb-YYMpy723M%253Bhttp

nice looking girl for sure, but not my style. 
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 5:36pm
Very nice, saw one the other day in the weapons safe of my gunsmith......Awesome weapon.
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 7:23pm
In the 90's I shot the newer version, which is very much like the old one - shoots very cool, very distinctive sound.
Edward Tinker
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I / Vol II and Vol III
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by patrickduis patrickduis wrote:

Very nice, saw one the other day in the weapons safe of my gunsmith......Awesome weapon.

Kate Upton was in a weapons safe?
(Tongue in cheek)

Cali, i see she is a attractive young lady. With that i am sure it would be like having a Chauchat, sleek lines,big magazine that you can see the ammo. Fun to look at but not worth the trouble it causes you!
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2016 at 1:29pm
That MG 42 is very Sweet looking to Display or Shoot. This is my Favorite Firearm out of all the Firearms the Germans had in there Arsenal. I think Gruner designed some other ones, but buy far this was his best designed and built Weapon in '42. At MGV in Las Vegas my friend and I rented one Few Years ago when we were there. That Place is Awesome every time we to go Vegas I visit MGV to rent something Sweet to Shoot.
Frank

mike todd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 7:44am
wow  it appears to be an original finish survivor   ? not many of those left state side.  bought my new example in 1965 . I cant remember the exact price , but it was less than $400 with the transfer tax paid.
 its been rebuilt 4 times since.  it suffered 2 bolt bounce explosions b4 we learned about the bolt catch fix.
 no WWII german 42's had these, it was a post war fix and none of the mg-1 or mg-3's had made it in civilian hands yet.  on one of those occasions the extractor was actually "blown" through the receiver sheet metal. worst yet THERE WERE NO SPARE PARTS, ANYWHERE IN THE STATES. I worked for the largest arms dealer in the world back then and could still NOT get anything legally. the only way to get one was buy another gun or have it  reverse engineered by someone in the  then new aerospace industry. of course it was the same price for one or 25.  $900 and 3months tele calls later I had 25.
 more 42 trivia?  in 65 a WWII 42 TRIPOD  was more than $6k if you found one now less than $1k will buy a fairly nice example mount, BUT a weapon like the one pic'd here would easily sell for more than
 $42K.  WWII german 8x57 ball  in quantity .03 rnd  now quality ball .65 +    most of us now use 7.62 only and thank god I put a ton away imagine 100 rnds in LESS than 5 seconds at .75  a rnd.
all that aside its still one of  my most cherished pieces and will be sitting in its spot when I'm gone.

mike todd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 7:49am
KATE UPTON??   you think 8x57 ball is expensive?    rental on my KATE was $3.9 million for 11 yearsOuch
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 7:52am

Curious. Given the choice of never seeing Kate Upton up close and personal or getting to just hold hands whenever you choose.........

It's has to be Fine looking with a Name attached to it like that.
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 8:09am
This is the Little Brother of the 42. It's the MG 34. It is Owned by a Collector in Atlanta. If you look on Youtube you can see it being Shot. If you like to see Several of these here in the States and even Fire one go to Las Vegas and you can choose which one you want to Fire. It's not that much just a Few Hundred Dollars.

Frank

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2016 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by aschaefer aschaefer wrote:

Some time ago I heve spent my weekend cleaning this toy. Fully functioning but only allowed for the collection, no shooting. Would probably eat all my 8x57 ammo in some seconds.

Wow. Is it still funcational?
 Post Reply Post Reply