Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Detroit Surplus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detroit Surplus
    Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 10:05am
Some pics of my D S Underwood, receiver and barrel from Zanders. Would like to know as much as possible. No cartouche in the sling well. SN also on top-rear of receiver.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 11:20am
Are there numbers on left side of receiver near or below wood line, Near the barrel 
goldbill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 1:36pm
SN are on top,rear of receiver,just forward of the rear sight.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 3:55pm
I would expect the serial number to be there. What i am asking is are there any numbers on the side of the receiver like this one http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/topic1159.html

I am not saying the one i linked is DPD., just giving an idea where to look
goldbill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 7:22pm
No sn in the area you noted.The sn I referenced is not in normal location and is the same as the DPD sn on the stock.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2016 at 9:35am
Mine is marked there, on the left forward side of the receiver where a Plainfield serial number was placed. It's a 5 digit number which I guess is the internal inventory number. Grampa worked as a DPD officer. Went from beat to detective. Among the people he encountered in his regular work were people like Tony Giacalone.
goldbill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2016 at 12:22pm
I guess calling that 5 digit number a sn is what is confusing,my bad. Internal inventory number is much better.
Thanks for helping clear up my confusion.
Still,I have questions,as not all DPD m1 carbines are not the same.
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2016 at 12:56pm
I have only seen the inventory/stock number or whatever it is in the location that New2brass pointed out.
This is not to say that it would be the only way it has been marked. I have seen the stocks with out the numbers as well.
maybe you can share a picture.
If concerned about your serial number, put a piece of tape over it, or edit it out.
If you need help New2brass is good with those things

If there is an answer to be found on the DPD, Your answer most likely will be answered here in time.
The forum is only 2 weeks old and many members have not had a chance to register yet.
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
 Post Reply Post Reply