The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recoil plate adjustment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recoil plate adjustment.
    Posted: Jan 04 2016 at 10:55am
One thing I learned from the experts about accuracy in the carbine is the tension that should be between the recoil plate and the receiver. When installing the action in the stock there should be enough tension to have the barrel hold the barrel up just a bit; enough that you can push the barrel down into the stock channel. About an 1/8 " to a bit more even as much as 1/4" . Once you have the receiver "hook" under the recoil plate give the butt a few good smacks with the heel of your hand to settle the action into the stock. Then you should have to press the barrel down in order to get the barrel band to slide into position to lock in place. It helped several of my carbines tighten up my groups.
On several of mine I had to carefully remove a little wood under the tang of the plate to get the barrel up out of the channel. GO SLOW with the removal !

The type III barrel band, in addition to having the bayonet lug, actually helped in aiding accuracy.

Edited by J.R.2009 - Jan 05 2016 at 8:18am
J.R.

FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 2:17pm
Another thing to consider if you are trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of your favorite shooter is to bed the recoil plate after you achieve the "preload" described in the post above. It's not possible to bed a carbine action like you would a bolt action rife but you can keep the recoil plate from moving around with a little JB Weld.

I know you don't want to epoxy your best high wood "I" cut stock, so get a "shooter" stock. Mine is an SA birch potbelly. I can drop my QHMC into it and get a 2 MOA improvement. Also, being a fatter stock, the barrel band tightens on it better. Of course, having a "shooter" stock saves wear and tear on your 70 year old collectible furniture!
JackP
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 7:00am

Good idea to use on a used up stock. I used JB Weld on one carbine in my old collection a few years ago. I don't need it on my Inland, it is tight as a tick. I shoot it several times a year but not enough to hurt anything. You are right though, it makes a big difference in accuracy.
J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 9:43am
Just for grins I'll post a link to my YouTube account and see my Inland in action. The video was shoot with two GoPro cameras; One mounted on my head  and one on the carbine (which you can see in another video). The target is a 14"x21" steel silhouette at 100 yds., to the right of the 25 yd. target stand. Turn the sound up to hear the hits.
My shooting buddy and I use paper targets just to check zero other wise is a boring way to shoot; to us anyway.
We compete against each other, at 73 we are smart enough not to go up against you younger guys. It is standing only but we do allow one leg to touch the bench. At 73 we might fall over if we didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDaZd48W--8

MAN, I wish this site had auto save when you leave the site to pick up a picture or video. When I leave to get the address I lose all I have typed. This is my second try.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 11:13am
I've encountered similar frustrations when composing replies on other forums. If my reply is expected to be lengthy, I compose it in Microsoft Word and then copy and paste to the forum. That way, I don't loose anything when the phone rings (DSL here) or the cat walks on the computer.

BTW, my son and I often compete as you and your shooting buddy do. I've learned to challenge him only in the "Know Your Limit" kind of competition. He is a much better shot, being half my age. However, he doesn't know when to quit and will almost always attempt that next difficult (or impossible) shot that subtracts from his final score.
JackP
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

I've encountered similar frustrations when composing replies on other forums. If my reply is expected to be lengthy, I compose it in Microsoft Word and then copy and paste to the forum. That way, I don't loose anything when the phone rings (DSL here) or the cat walks on the computer.

BTW, my son and I often compete as you and your shooting buddy do. I've learned to challenge him only in the "Know Your Limit" kind of competition. He is a much better shot, being half my age. However, he doesn't know when to quit and will almost always attempt that next difficult (or impossible) shot that subtracts from his final score.

Hey JackP, I’ve tried twice to reply to your post and twice when I hit “Post reply” I get a screen telling me that only members can pot replies; Even though I am signed in. So, back to MS Word.

This site has its share of bugs but they are working to get things running smoothly I’m sure. I spend most of my “gun time” at the CMP forums. When I type a post on line there I can click over to Photobucket, grab up to 12 pics, click back to my post at CMP and do the copy/paste deal and never lose a word. At another forums it runs an “Auto Save” program that saves what you have typed if I leave the site to grab a pic from Photobucket. I can also type in an Internet address and it automatically turns into a hyper-link that anyone can just click on and get to the new address .The link I typed in my last post I see the reader has to copy/paste the address. Not a big deal but having a click on address take you to the new site is nicer.

Did you copy/paste my link to go to my YouTube account? Let me know if it worked for you, it did for me.

I don’t get to shoot with our son too often, he lives up in NC and we see him just a few times a year. When we have shot together he tends to rush all his shots so there is no real competition  there. My best friend and shooting buddy on the other hand like to push each other to the limit.

OK, let’s see if this one gets through. )J

J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 9:42pm
Yeah J.R. I watched your video. The link worked fine. I also found your gun mount video. Cool! Looks like you have a nice range there. I get to do most of my shooting on my property here in the Sacramento mountains. Right now there's a foot of snow on the ground and the high temperatures have been in the 30's so I am taking a break.    
JackP
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 6:07am

Yeah J.R. I watched your video. The link worked fine. I also found your gun mount video. Cool! Looks like you have a nice range there. I get to do most of my shooting on my property here in the Sacramento mountains. Right now there's a foot of snow on the ground and the high temperatures have been in the 30's so I am taking a break.    

Glad you like the videos.
Our range is trashed, by "white trash", and will be shut down soon. DNR and SC Wildlife will begin rebuilding a new range in the same location. NRA has add $25,000 to the building funds. There will be an archery range, pistol and two rifle ranges; one 100 yards and a second will be ??? yards (we hope well over 100 yards).
We spend a half hour just cleaning up two lanes so we can shoot. Plus we have a shot of cold temps that keeps us old guys at home wishing.
J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 6:40am
Jackp, here is a pic taken a year or two ago before it got really bad.

J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 1:02pm
Well at least you don't have to slog through a foot of snow to get to the range 300 yards from the house.

The nearest public range is in La Luz, NM about 50 miles away. We go there when we want to shoot more than 100 yards. They have a 250 yard section. Better take your bike. 250 yards is too far to hear the gong, and too far to walk more than once or twice. I still don't have a decent spotting scope.
JackP
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 2:01pm
Beautiful! I married a Huron Indian gal from Michigan and she misses "a little snow" once in a while. We had 2' after Hugo got through with us and it hide a lot of ugly.
J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
SteveG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2016 at 9:03am

Another thing to consider if you are trying to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of your favorite shooter is to bed the recoil plate after you achieve the "preload" described in the post above. It's not possible to bed a carbine action like you would a bolt action rife but you can keep the recoil plate from moving around with a little JB Weld.

I know you don't want to epoxy your best high wood "I" cut stock, so get a "shooter" stock. Mine is an SA birch potbelly. I can drop my QHMC into it and get a 2 MOA improvement. Also, being a fatter stock, the barrel band tightens on it better. Of course, having a "shooter" stock saves wear and tear on your 70 year old collectible furniture!

That looks like a good idea to improve accuracy, but I'm afraid this would not be allowed in CMP matches, if you are interested in those matches.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2016 at 8:21am
Another tip on bedding. If after installing the action into the stock give the stock a slap at the barrel band. If you hear a rattle, the barrel needs to have some support. I cut two pieces of aluminum, the kind used for flashing, one piece below the barrel and one above near the band. Push the aluminum down into the stock to form it to the proper shape.
Worked for me. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2016 at 5:53pm
When performing the seating as described above, I lightly hold the barrel where it falls into the barrel channel as I bang on the butt plate usually with my hand or the soft end on a rubber mallet. Once the seating starts, let off the barrel pressure and viola, fits like a glove.
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2016 at 6:41pm
I don't know if this qualifies much for tightening up the action, but this is what I found under the type 2 band on my all original NPM 'U' carbine. It's just cardboard and it's been there for a long time. I'll never change it that's for sure.
Dave
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2016 at 7:02pm
Almost looks petrified. Any idea on how old it is?
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2016 at 8:22pm
If that eliminates any slop, go for it.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2016 at 8:31pm
I'm pretty sure those three pieces of cardboard are older than me.
Dave
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2016 at 8:43pm
They probably saw some real serious  action.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 7:54am
Good Info.

Retired Army, 22 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply