Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sear ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sear ID
    Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 8:40pm
Does anyone have information on a sear with this marking?

[IMG][/IMG]
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 10:33pm
Here is mine.

Found here:

I asked not long ago and it was mentioned the maker is believed to be Stecher-Traung Lithograph Company for Irwin Pedersen. Not sure of the specifics but this was not the sear I was expecting.

Where was yours found?

Edited by m1a1fan - Jan 04 2016 at 2:46pm
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 10:42pm
Found in an IP. New2Brass advised me to look at WarBaby, where Stechertraung Lithograph Co. is noted as providing sears to IP.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 11:10pm
one day online line and we are fitting puzzle pieces! Fantastic!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 11:16pm
Hmmmm, if both of these were in IP's wonder if the SN's were close?
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 8:02am
M1A1fan, Recognize that sear. Nice acquisition of the IP in PA. From what I've seen, it looks very nice.

Here is mine.

New link to IP

Edited by NewScotlander - Jan 06 2016 at 11:28am
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 12:51pm
Looks like all three sears are from carbines in the serial number range from 1.771 - 1.777 million.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 1:07pm
All three of the IP's in this thread are fantastic.  More importantly, a potential anomaly has been discovered.  A small sample size, maybe some wiggle room left or right, but there nonetheless.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 3:05pm
NewScotlander, that is the absolutely most beautiful IP stock I have seen!

For anyone posting links:
if you click the little earth and chain icon above message box when posting you can first type a title such as "Beautiful IP'"then click enter, next box put in the address.

Beautiful IP

Alternatively to the right is a Prompt mode button that if you click and change to basic mode you can then click on earth chain icon and this will appear.

[URL= ][/URL]

you then add the address in the middle and get this

https://goo.gl/photos/tSKzeDgL678mTgW77

Edited by New2brass - Jan 03 2016 at 3:14pm
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 7:32pm

Edited by m1a1fan - Jan 05 2016 at 9:24am
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2016 at 12:53pm
I think it was Seymour Products. They were a sub-contractor that made several different parts for the carbine. 
J.R.

FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2016 at 3:35pm
Seymour Products made stamped parts such as magazines and floor plates, swivels and bands.
not to say they did not make sears.
Stay tuned as some information may be rolling in.

NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2016 at 7:44am
I think it is safe to say that the SP marked sear was made by Stecher-Traung Litho Co. for Irwin Pedersen. While there is no documented evidence to say that is the case, process of elimination points to this conclusion.

There are two known subcontractors of sears for Irwin-Pedersen (War Baby!, page 423). They are Star Watch Case Company and Stecher-Traung Litho Company. We know that the Star Watch Case Company sears were marked SW-IP or IP-SW. If SP marked sears are being found in original IP carbines, the only choice left for manufacturer is Stecher-Traung Litho Co.
 Post Reply Post Reply