Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early NPM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early NPM
    Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 12:15pm
Well let me start out by posting Some pictures of this Early Postal Meter . I believe this to be an Original example in exceptional condition .

http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/rcycles45/library/Early%20Postal%20Meter%201453571
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 12:28pm
Sweet!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 12:41pm
Very nice rifle!

I have a CMP Service Grade NPM mixmaster that has a serial about 300 earlier than yours, with a 1-43 dated Rock-Ola barrel, which should be from the 2nd batch of barrels when they first started up barrel production.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2016 at 10:05pm
I have one of those barrels with the backwards N also. Saw another one this weekend.
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

I have one of those barrels with the backwards N also. Saw another one this weekend.

Interesting ! Funny I never noticed that before .. I looked at the rest of my Underwood barrels and this is the only one like that.. What are the dates of the other barrels with the backwards N . this one is 1-43 ..
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 7:13pm
Can you post a better picture?

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 8:09pm
The others were 1-43 too. Mine is on an IP. The other I saw recently was on an Underwood that is probably original to the receiver.

Here's one. Not able to get the site to load this image even though I tried a version that's under the 400 threshold, so you ought to save it because imgur will recycle it I believe.

Edited by tenOCEE - Jan 07 2016 at 10:01pm
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 10:26pm

Pictures need to be no more than 800 Pixels wide due to mobile devices as well as bandwidth.
We are working on a better system

notice there is ample resolution

Edited by Lupus Dei - Jan 07 2016 at 10:33pm
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 11:48am
Thats a Very Nice Early NPM. I have 2 questions. Is that a Crack or Split and is it a Trimble Stock ? Also, Is that Front Sight a Niedner one ? I have one, but its has a NN, but there together and sideways. Is this another Milled Front Sight for the NPM ? VERY NICE. Thanks for showing it.
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 11:52am
What happened to the Add a file button that was on here the other day ?
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 11:58am
Really...I just seem to not have it yet figured out and i know it has to be simple. I been looking at some nice pics since I signed on....AARRGGGHHH   
Frank

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 12:45pm
Posting pics? Another Thread says they have to be under 800 in width for mobile device limitations.
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 2:29pm
Very Very nice ! It's been awhile since I've seen one of those early TH pins and a N6 slide.

Backwards N so I guess everyone's looking at their's now. LOL
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 3:32pm
My 1458768 has the N6 slide and a trigger marked S.N. (with periods). It has a transitional extractor and firing pin marked R. Very similar to this one.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by imntxs564 imntxs564 wrote:

Really...I just seem to not have it yet figured out and i know it has to be simple. I been looking at some nice pics since I signed on....AARRGGGHHH   

hmm, something changed overnight!

If using "quick reply" box on bottom of page there will be an arrow pointing up and to right on tool bar.
click that to get the post box you need.

Alternatively click "post Reply" just above quick reply and to the left.
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 8:50am
Originally posted by imntxs564 imntxs564 wrote:

Thats a Very Nice Early NPM. I have 2 questions. Is that a Crack or Split and is it a Trimble Stock ? Also, Is that Front Sight a Niedner one ? I have one, but its has a NN, but there together and sideways. Is this another Milled Front Sight for the NPM ? VERY NICE. Thanks for showing it.

Thanks , The front sight is marked NN [ Nolan Machinary Co ] They were used pretty much in the first and second block and fabricated SN in the last block . There is a stress split that has been repaired with pin . Eventually I will send this stock to Rick Borecky [ Stock doc } for a real repair ..
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Rcycles45 Rcycles45 wrote:

Thanks , The front sight is marked NN [ Nolan Machinary Co ] They were used pretty much in the first and second block and fabricated SN in the last block . There is a stress split that has been repaired with pin . Eventually I will send this stock to Rick Borecky [ Stock doc } for a real repair ..

I'm glad I asked about the Stock, I have a real nice Inland Stock that's been here for awhile, and had no idea where to send it to get repaiered. It has a like a 3 to 4" Split and would like to have it fixed.

My NPM is in the 4.25m Range No import marking mostly all correct. I say that cause even though it has a Original T1 Rear Flip Sight it just has the S and nothing on the L or right side. The front sight I have on it is the Type 2 Stamped SN marked side by side from (Super Metal Mfg Co.) and is correct for it's date and is in Third and Last block for NPM.

Frank
Frank

Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 10:54pm
Nice pic, Tennocee, thanks! Yup, lotsa errors were made in the haste of mass production, trying to meet Ordnance production quotas. Decades ago, an S'G' carbine was found with the SAGINAW S'G' receiver logo stamped completely upside down!

Re: Underwood barrels, Carbine Club newsletter #360 showed a photo of an Underwood barrel that Sleeplessnashadow had found at CMP Anniston, that was missing the U, the month, and the leading 4 in the year. So the barrel read:

NDERWOOD

Certainly not something for the stamping guy to be proud of, but War is Hell :) Be sure to take a look at the article on the forum entitled Saginaw Marking Errors.

Thanks for sharing that pic, Marty Black

Edited by sleeplessnashadow - Dec 21 2023 at 7:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply