Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transferred Hand Guard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transferred Hand Guard
    Posted: Dec 21 2015 at 8:53pm
Transferred Hand Guard

January 2016
UNUSUAL WINCHESTER - INLAND (?) HAND GUARD

Frank Havlicek purchased a “mostly correct” lined-out Underwood AW carbine 6465992 (assembled by
Winchester). It is not known if the 2-rivet hand guard is factory-original to this carbine, but it is
doubtful that a 2-rivet hand guard would have been used on a carbine assembled in early 1945. The
interesting feature of this hand guard is its markings. The OI mark has been altered by hand-stamping an
X over the I…and there is a Winchester-style w on the other side.

The W is the same size, font, and location on the hand guard, as is found on known-original Winchesters.
Opposite of the w is what appears to be a smaller Overton O, but Frank reports that - upon close
examination with a magnifying glass, it is more likely a partially-stamped ordnance bomb.

There have been no records located to indicate a transfer of hand guards from Inland to Winchester at
any time during WWII production. It is certainly possible that Overton may have sent some OI marked
hand guards directly to Winchester to alleviate a shortage. This would explain the crossing out of the
Inland marking. Until we learn more, this item will remain a mystery.

Marty Black

Edited by Lupus Dei - Dec 30 2015 at 9:57pm
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2016 at 6:07pm
I am not talking about this particular handguard at all, but I've seen (as well as some others on this site) some of the Korean returned handguards with legit manufacturer stamps and an additional W of unknown origin. I have also seen some Korean stocks themselves with fraudulent cartouches that perhaps could have been applied in Korea, but maybe not.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2016 at 2:41pm
Pictures say a 1000 words! If you come across one please post.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2016 at 5:08pm
Unfortunately, I never purchased any of them so pictures can't happen. What's interesting, perhaps, is that I never saw another one of them after my initial sighting. BTW, I want to say this was about two years ago now, but I could be off by some in either direction.
 Post Reply Post Reply