Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M2 Manual Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M2 Manual Discussion
    Posted: Dec 27 2015 at 12:47pm
PHASING THE M2 CARBINE INTO THE USMC – A Military Instruction Manual
By David Albert
Copyright 2014

PDF copy

The author recently acquired a previously unknown USMC manual that should be of interest to Carbine
Club members. This appears to be the only known manual solely dedicated to coverage of the M2
Carbine, and is shared here in the club spirit of continued sharing and historical education.

The manual is a course of instruction, focusing on a 4-hour period of lecture, demonstration, and
application of the weapon. It was printed in a batch of 20,000 at USMC Quantico, Virginia on 12/19/51,
for release in 1952. It covers the description, nomenclature, disassembly and assembly, functioning and
stoppages of the weapon without the use of any diagrams or photos, and was used for instruction with
live weapons in small groups. An instructor could read from the manual directly to instruct the group.
Quoting directly from the manual, it indicates “This class is intended to familiarize you with the
mechanics of a weapon that is gradually replacing the M1 Carbine throughout the Marine Corps.”

The following additional resources are referenced, and the film was intended to be a 15-minute portion
of the overall instruction.

• Guidebook for Marines, Chapter 14
• FM 23-7, April 1944
• FM 23-30 Chapter 5, Section V
• Film MA 6238 (M2 Carbine)
• Chart GTA 9-61

Instruction included the use of one or more weapons for demonstration, depending upon number of
students, and the class was broken into four 1-hour sections, as follows:

• First hour: Nomenclature, disassembly, assembly of carbine
• Second hour: Nomenclature, disassembly, assembly of trigger group
• Third Hour: Detailed explanation of the functioning of the weapon
• Fourth Hour: Devoted to operation and stoppages with brief focus on spare parts and accessories, as well as Q&A

The most interesting quote found in the manual was “The U.S. Carbine, Caliber .30 M2 is nothing more
than a miniature M1 Rifle, so designed as to be able to fire full-automatic, as well as semiautomatic
fire.” Some current Carbine collectors may not like that statement.*

The only known manual dedicated solely to the M2 Carbine.
This 1952 USMC manual of instruction was used to
familiarize troops with the weapon as it was phased into
service. - David Albert Collection

* Editor’s note: Referring to Newsletter 149-5, the phrase “the carbine is nothing more than a miniature
M1 rifle” was initially found in a 1944-dated manual entitled OFFICER CANDIDATES’ SCHOOL
COURSE OF INSTRUCTION IN U.S. CARBINE, CAL. .30, M1, published by MARINE CORPS
SCHOOLS, MARINE BARRACKS, QUANTICO, VIRGINIA.

The introductory paragraph continues with great enthusiasm for the carbine, stating “The carbine is a
very accurate, hard hitting weapon at short ranges. When fired from a fixed rifle rest with no wind
blowing, the bullets stay within an 8 inch circle at 300 yards. The .45 cal. pistol will only dent the new
type helmet at 100 yards, while the carbine bullet will go completely through both sides of the helmet.
At a short range, the carbine penetrates deeper than an M1 rifle will.”

The glowing and somewhat misleading statements contained in both Marine manuals are even more
interesting, when compared to the negative words used by the Marine Corps after the carbine’s
disappointing performance during the Korean Conflict. In a press release dated December 28, 1954, the
Marine Corps officially “eliminated” the carbine as a weapon, deeming it “substandard” and “unsuitable”. *1

Although the M2 Carbine’s delicate mechanisms were perhaps unsuited for the abuses of combat in
extremely harsh winter weather, and the excessive rate of fire was not conducive to sustained firepower
during a lengthy engagement, it can be argued that the USMC’s (and the U.S. Army’s) disfavor with the
weapon was partially their own fault.

First of all, the carbine should never have been regarded as a frontline, lightweight version of the M1
Rifle. It was never designed nor suited for that purpose. Nor was carbine ammunition designed or suited
to replace .30-06 M2 ball. Second, infantry replacements were not given adequate training in the
effective use of the M2 Carbine, nor in the night-fighting tactics used by the Chinese Communist forces.
These errors, understandably, resulted in an evaluation of the M2 Carbine as a weapon that “lacks
power, is not sufficiently accurate for aimed fire at moderate distances, and wastes ammunition.” *2

In my opinion, faulty doctrine by both the Marine Corps and the Army gave the carbine a bum rap. It
has been well documented that when the M1 and M2 Carbine were well-maintained, fired by trained
individuals, and used for its intended purpose, the carbine served with distinction in both WWII and Korea.
Marty Black

Ref:
1. D.O.D. Office of Public Information letter 1244-54, dated December 28, 1954.
2. Battlefield Analysis of Infantry Weapons (Korean War), by S.L.A. Marshall, reprinted and
copyrighted 1984 by Desert Publications, Cornville, AZ 86325

Edited by Lupus Dei - Dec 31 2015 at 3:29pm
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2016 at 7:37pm
Marty,

Thanks for your editor's note that was appended to my article. It added excellent insight. It's been a while since I submitted this M2 manual find, so it was fun to read it over again!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 1:29pm
I carried a modified M2 Carbine in Vietnam as a backup weapon, and loved it. My primary was a M14A1E1, which did its job, but was a little on the large size in the bush. I had a locally made holster to carry my cut down M2, and used it as needed in close. This was in 66, when the early M16s were having problems. 

I am actually trying to locate one of those aftermarket Enforcer Carbine Pistols cheap, so I can make a Clone of my old Carbine for my den, and a little range time for nostalgia.

Retired Army, 22 years.
mel chung View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mel chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 6:30pm
wd4ngb:  current maker Inland makes a pistol based on the M1 Carbine-you mighht check with them.  The long discontinued Enforcer is the reason why M1 Carbines with 15 or 30 or more  round magazines are illegal in Hawaii. Only 10 round mags in m1 carbines are legal. In RVN i met a captain who had a M2 carbine that cut cut down like a pistol - he liked it too. Mel
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 11:40pm
ADVICE: read this post on new "Inland" carbines

mel chung View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mel chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2016 at 3:55am
New2brass: a very interesting 12 page discussion.  I guess the new inland sent a reworked gun to the american rifleman for review-a glowing review, i might add.  A few years ago, at a gun show, a auto ord dealer tried hard to sell me their carbine - he kept dropping the price-now i know why... Thanks for the eye opener! Mel
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 8:24am
Lupus Dei,
I enjoyed your Dec 27, 2015 post re: M2 Manual Discussion. I was hoping to 'open' the manual to read thru the contents but could not figure how (or if) I could do it from your post. Is it possible for you to share the Manual itself for the further education of those members who are interested? Many thanks.
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 8:36am
colreed,

Much of the content in the original post was submitted by me, and I have the manual in my collection. The photo provided is of the cover only. I have not scanned the rest of the manual...It's a large size that does not fit on my scanner. I would have to take pictures of each page. If there is enough interest, I might make the time to do so.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 2:34pm
David, 
Thanks for reply. Sounds like a big undertaking. Don't bother. I should be able to find M2 info from other sites. I just thought your manual might already be out there for viewing.
Best regards,
Reed
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
 Post Reply Post Reply