Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standard Products Proof "P" followup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Standard Products Proof "P" followup
    Posted: Dec 21 2015 at 8:41pm
In CCNL 384 we discussed an early Standard Products proof P with serif found on an Underwood Barrel.
Here we find another example.

UEF bbl Proof P serif

January 2016
FOLLOW-UP REPORT ON EARLY UEF BARRELS FOR STD PRO

Newsletter 384 featured articles on Barrel Proof P marks and
Std Pro 1985231 with a UEF 1-43 barrel. That barrel has a
proof P that appears to have serifs, but the marking wasn’t
clearly stamped. Since that time, Dan Pinto has reported Std
Pro 1985373, only 142 numbers later, with a UEF 4-43 barrel
that confirms the serifs at the top and bottom of the stem of the
Proof P. Both of these carbines were most likely within the
first shipment that Std Pro made to the government on July 6,

Edited by Lupus Dei - Dec 30 2015 at 9:59pm
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
crashtestnewbie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashtestnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 12:05pm
My standard has diff P proof
Make everyday a good day
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 12:20pm
That serifed (stems) P is very early and rare. The vast majority of Std Pro's Proof-P stamps did not have those "tails."

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 12:27pm
Say Crashtest Newbie,

I forgot to mention in my earlier reply - the most common Proof P found on barrels proofed by Std Pro will have a slightly long (or tall) vertical stem on the P. Look closely. The P will appear slightly taller than other Ps (or the loop of the P will appear slightly smaller?). This stuff can drive a sane person crazy, but after 40 years of being interested in carbines, it's still enjoyable for me.   Enjoy the ride. Marty Black
Marty Black
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 1:09pm
I have 2042812 with an Underwood 8-43 barrel that has that same P.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 2:10pm
Thanks Scott C.,

Interesting...We have no idea how many P stamps that Std Pro had in use at any one time, nor do we know how long they lasted before wearing out and needing replacement. The most important thing to keep in mind, when studying carbines, is that there are no absolutes. "Never say never, and never say always." The mission of the manufacturers was to meet their production quotas, so that they could get paid by the Ordnance Department, make their payroll and stay in business. No one in any factory was looking at parts codes, or barrel dates, or the shape/size of the markings. We collectors are the only ones who obsess about all this minutia...but it's fun! Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 9:25pm
Thanks Scott C and Lupus...that's the one, on a UEF 8-43 barrel. Very interesting! We're learning! Thanks for sharing,
Marty Black
Marty Black
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2017 at 10:02pm
It seems collectors of anything worth wild have the same challenges. I've been collecting coins nearly all my life and look for the same type variances you look for in carbines. I see double date strikes, over stamps, large lettering verses small lettering, year rarity, mint marks, and of course condition, just to mark a few. Collecting anything of value can be fun, and addicting, just funny to me how close coins and carbines really are to a collector.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2018 at 8:54pm
Not to hijack your thread but my Standard Products carbine serial number 2192659 has a 2-44 Inland barrel on it, sadly with a Blue Sky import stamp.
  The proof mark looks just like any other Inland mark.
  I suppose that that serial number would be from very late 43 to early 44.
  I'm still looking for some of the parts to complete the restoration.
  Standard Products can be a real pain to restore what with all of the numbered parts.
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2018 at 5:14pm
too add to the Std Pro.....barrel "P"...mine sn 2003520....underwood barrel with just 43 as date.... shows no tail on P....
al

Post Reply Post Reply