Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Free Barrel Issue Program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free Barrel Issue Program
    Posted: Jan 26 2020 at 5:38am
Is it reasonable to assume that a Marlin or Buffalo Arms barrel could wind up on about any carbine when it was initially manufactured other than one of the primes that did not manufacture their own barrels? Is it more likely to have been a replacement? Could it be serial number/manufacturer specific?
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2020 at 6:34am
Reasonable or not, the proof is in the P
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2020 at 6:22pm
There were only 4 factories that did not produce their own barrels and used the GFIBP

SP used UEF, IN, W, IBM as well as BA and Marlin
NPM used UEF, RO, BA and Marlin
IP/S'G' used UEF, RO, IN, and BA (no Marlin). Later we see some SG barrels but not part of the GFIBP
QHMC used UEF, RO, W, IBM AS well as BA  (no Marlin)

According to WB 209 it shows field service barrels to QHMC and Grand Rapids plant. Where these barrels were made?????????

Blackfish has it correct that the proof is in the P
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 7:53pm
I can get a pix, but maybe I won't need to. Barrel is MARLIN marked longitudinally down the top of the barrel where it always is, not dated. About 4-inches aft of the sight is the "P" mark about 30-degrees off center to the left as you look down the barrel from the rear sight. There is a punch-mark right on top of the barrel about an inch-or-so aft of the "P".

The carbine has been through a rebuild. What does this tell you?
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 8:32pm
What's the carbine's serial number? If NPM, then your barrel data with its proof marks tells nothing. If not, the barrel is a replacement.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2020 at 5:41am
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

What's the carbine's serial number? If NPM, then your barrel data with its proof marks tells nothing. If not, the barrel is a replacement.

This carbine is not cherry and nowhere near worthy of anything other than a shooter. It's a 3.3 SG and has been rebuilt. Contains several correct SG internals that fit the SN range in a non-arsenal marked high-wood stock and RSG hand guard that also matches this range. I was just seeking any fresh info on Marlin barrels and their application other than what the web-pages might reveal. "The proof is in the punch-mark" seemed like a riddle to me and I thought there may be something behind the curtain. It's obviously a replacement barrel.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2020 at 1:05pm
Yes, NPM's proof mark was not a P but the punch you see. Your Marlin barrel, proofed by Marlin, was originally installed on one of NPM's carbines where it was again proof fired by NPM and so marked. Later at some point, when that carbine was found to be trashed, its barrel was reused to replace your Saginaw's trashed barrel.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

Yes, NPM's proof mark was not a P but the punch you see. Your Marlin barrel, proofed by Marlin, was originally installed on one of NPM's carbines where it was again proof fired by NPM and so marked. Later at some point, when that carbine was found to be trashed, its barrel was reused to replace your Saginaw's trashed barrel.

I agree with all of this. I think this barrel was originally on a NPM carbine and later installed on this SG receiver. It doesn’t appear to be a recent build. This barrel and receiver look to have been in a relationship for a long time. I got the information I was seeking.

Thanks you and Dan. 
 Post Reply Post Reply