The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Dumb Carbine Question of the Month

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Dumb Carbine Question of the Month
    Posted: May 27 2023 at 10:45am
My NPM "Bavarian" carbine I had serviced by Fulton Armory a couple of years ago. The only major issue they mentioned was the firing pin hole has some erosion that could be a problem. I've been thinking of swapping the bolt out but haven't since I don't shoot it much and they said it was usable.

The other reason is like alot of "Bavarians" this has the serial number etched into it, I want to keep it with the carbine in case I ever need to sell it but want "good" bolt for "just in case". Anyone ever have a 2nd bolt set aside for a carbine ready to use?

Right now I have 1 post war USGI here complete plus I ordered this the other day

I figure swipe the parts needed from my spare parts set (I keep 1 of those Fulton Armory spare parts sets on hand just in case) and have 2 complete bolts if needed.

My dumb question is which set of tools would I need to check head space 

This?

Or this?

I'm in no hurry to do this, need the bolt tool 1st and I figure I've got to clean comsoline off the NOS stripped bolt anyway (what fun Dead, at least its not a old SKS)

I figure having an extra bolt can't hurt (last time I said having extra Carbine parts they grew into another Carbine Big smile)
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 11:17am
"Anyone ever have a 2nd bolt set aside for a carbine ready to use?"
Absolutely. 

As far as the gauges go, the GO gauge is normally only needed when replacing a barrel or on a new barrel (you are shooting this one now, so you know the chamber is not short). Either a NO-GO or Field gauge will serve your purpose. I personally only use the Field Gauge.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 11:18am
Really don’t need any tools to check head space, other than an accurate measuring device and a sized case. Maybe some flat feeler gauges. There are a couple of methods to use. One way is to measure the length of the case, close and rotate the stripped bolt on the case and measure the free play behind the right rear bolt lug and receiver recess with feeler gauges. Add the two figures and arrive at actual head space. 

You can also apply layers of scotch tape to the base until you reach the point of finger-pressure-rotation. Measure the length of the case with the added layers of tape and arrive at actual head space.

Nothing wrong with having gauges, but if you don’t have a constant need for them….just money wasted.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 12:12pm
Thanks gents, I'll see if I can borrow a gauge since I only need it 1 time. I know the barrel is good (post war Erma replacement that gauges .05).

I'm strange when it comes to guns, even safe queens like this "have" to be ready for SHTF if ever needed. I do need to get the bolt tool though so figure what the hell. I'm one of those guys who thinks bolts should be cleaned every year if you shoot them alot and I do have 3-4 "shooter" carbines that I want to strip the bolts on for a good cleaning. 
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 1:48pm
your instinct with cleaning bolts at least on the carbine is correct because you will have very few problems as long as you keep the chamber clean and the bolt disassembled and cleaned at least every 600 rounds or so. You getting the bolt tool will also keep you from pulling your hair out hahaha
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 3:22pm
"Anyone ever have a 2nd bolt set aside for a carbine ready to use?"
Yep, and a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, .... For some reason a whole bunch of bolts have followed me home over the years.
I you're not finish reaming barrels, I'd just get the field gauge.

Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 4:35pm
another thing worth considering is I would leave the spare bolt wrapped and in cosmolene until the point I needed it. Depending on how much you shoot, you may never actually need to resort to your spare bolt which would keep it in its original new old stock condition. Interests can change in all sorts of things to where maybe if you trade it or sell it in the future, your bolt will be worth a little more still wrapped.hth
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Jond41403 Jond41403 wrote:

another thing worth considering is I would leave the spare bolt wrapped and in cosmolene until the point I needed it. Depending on how much you shoot, you may never actually need to resort to your spare bolt which would keep it in its original new old stock condition. Interests can change in all sorts of things to where maybe if you trade it or sell it in the future, your bolt will be worth a little more still wrapped.hth

I'm thinking that's a good idea
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 5:59pm
Nothing at all wrong with having a fresh bolt still in the wrapper, but don’t lose track of why you need a spare bolt in the first place. If it won’t head space or shoot in your carbine/carbines, it might as well be a paper weight and one in the wrap is likely going to cost more.

All my bolts are head spaced to all my carbines and I record exactly how it spaces in each carbine for future reference. I have one bolt that is too tight for one particular action, so I note that it can’t be used in that action.

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Nothing at all wrong with having a fresh bolt still in the wrapper, but don’t lose track of why you need a spare bolt in the first place. If it won’t head space or shoot in your carbine/carbines, it might as well be a paper weight and one in the wrap is likely going to cost more.

All my bolts are head spaced to all my carbines and I record exactly how it spaces in each carbine for future reference. I have one bolt that is too tight for one particular action, so I note that it can’t be used in that action.

Good point, and if I ever did need to swap in a hurry I won't have time to clean it up and check head space.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 11:53pm
it's worth mentioning though that since you have already been shooting your carbines quite a bit, and you would already have noticed if you had any tight actions, the odds are in your favor that your wrapped bolt would head space okay. But it would save you time I suppose precleaning it in case you ever had to change it out in a hurry.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 7:42am
For whatever my logic is worth: If I were going to a carbine match or range some distance with only 1 carbine I would have a spare parts kit along. Usually I take multiple anyway so if something happens it doesn't ruin the day, and I like some variety anyway.
But outside of that it's pretty unlikely that in a SHTF scenario you would need to swap a failed M1 carbine bolt in the heat of battle, or that you'd swap it proactively in such a situation. If that happens, which I hope is about 99.99999999% unlikely, grab your best one.
But you bought that bolt for a purpose and to have it ready, not as a collector part, so you should do that then. The extra "collector" value of it being in the wrap doesn't matter.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 7:43am
I agree that the vast majority of bolts will head space in the vast majority of carbines, but it might depend on what one’s idea of head spacing is. The action is completely functional and safe well past a no-go gauge and out to 1.302 and even longer in practicality.  Now and then that long bolt will meet that tight action and not close at 1.290. It will still be safe to shoot if the brass does not get too long. I’d just have to know.
Ram1alaska View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram1alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2023 at 10:07am
OP, as I always thought my apprentices,,
 No question is a dumb question !
If you don't know ask, – if you don't ask you'll never know!
Ram 1
 Post Reply Post Reply