The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surplus Carbine Ammo from CMP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surplus Carbine Ammo from CMP
    Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 5:03pm
The CMP sale of surplus 30 Carbine ammo started today. It is available for purchase by mail order as well as on-line from the CMP E-Store. 
Item # 4S30CARB-240 (Limit 2 boxes per customer)

$108 per box plus $12.95 S&H (AK & HI S&H is $74)

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
CGG-1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 5:23pm
Does anyone know when the next round of CMP affiliations are being processed by the Carbine Collector's Club?
Chris

NPM, Early 1943
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 8:03pm
According to the pinned threads, every 4 to 6 months.  So if your not already on, you will be soon.

I'm sure one of the admins will answer more specifically when they seeyour question.

I think the price for the carbine ammo is very fair at this time.  It may help drive down .30 carbine commercial prices, but really no way to know that.  If you shoot 8 to 10  matches a year, this will cover that and practice as well.  How consistant this shoots, I don't know, but shooting carbine against rifles is a bit of a disadvantage in the respect regardless.  I think I read something that suggested it was LC. 

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 9:30pm
I can't find any Estore link for carbine ammo.....
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

I can't find any Estore link for carbine ammo.....

It was under "Ammo Surplus", I guess the inventory depleted quickly. When I'd checked earlier today, the e-store was very slow to respond, reminds me of the "good old days" when on an Orest new release day it would melt down in the resulting buying frenzy.
I'd guess it will be back given the limits, unless they didn't receive much of it. Oh, and I didn't order any.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 10:02pm
Oh well too late again....

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 10:04pm
Ah, the good ol' days.....I remember when carbine ammo was 15-20 cents a round.

One year at Camp Perry - sometime in the late 1990s - on Sunday as the CMP Matches were finishing up, the staff at the CMP store had a lot of M2 ball left over. They didn't want to haul tons of ammo back to Anniston, so they offered it at .10 a round!

I did the math on how much weight I could put in my Dodge Minivan before the springs bottomed out, and a buddy and I filled it with wooden crates of M2 ball. Driving that "locomotive" all the way back to Chicago was challenging, but we made it without incident.   

I still have a couple of those wooden crates (two cans to a case). Those WERE the good ol' days ! ! !

Regards, mb

Edited by Marty Black - Apr 11 2023 at 11:09pm
Marty Black
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 10:08pm
I managed to place an order earlier today, very painful process, took about 45 minutes from start to finish due to their overwhelmed slow speed website. All they are showing now is .22LR and 30-06.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
vellnueve View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vellnueve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 11:09pm
I had it in my cart and was trying to check out but it still had my address from several years ago in there and was super slow. Guess I lost my shot At it. Oh well.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 11:15pm
Similar story here.
I had two in the cart, and e-mailed a buddy who shoots Garand in the local matches.
I also e-mailed CMP to be sure they had the paper work needed for ammo sale.  I did buy a bore reflector earlier this year and submitted ID etc for that, so figured I'm probably good to go but wasn't 100% sure.
The e-store was running so slow, I just would check back every now and then to see if the page had refreshed.  Just went to my cart to complete the purchase and the ammo was removed for lack of stock. Unhappy

thirtyround View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtyround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 9:43am
How many rounds were there for each $108 dollar box?
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 10:03am
Originally posted by thirtyround thirtyround wrote:

How many rounds were there for each $108 dollar box?

240 rounds. It was 108 plus S&H, and my recollection is that CMP also adds retail sales tax to the charges. 
Still a very fair price at this time.  (in comparison I bought PSD at 40 cents a couple years ago and Magtech at 54 cents early 2022 - those prices not including shipping and tax)

From the e-mail:

Item # 4S3006LCM2-400 (Limit one can per customer)  

$392 per can plus $21 S&H (AK & HI S&H is $102)

Item # 4S30CARB-240 (Limit 2 boxes per customer)

$108 per box plus $12.95 S&H (AK & HI S&H is $74)

Item # 4S22PISTOL-500 (Limit 2 bricks per customer.)

$40 per brick plus $12.95 S&H (AK & HI S&H is $68.95)

Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 11:48am
I finally got onto the CMP website, logged-in (which indicates I am a "member"), placed a box of ammo into cart,  went to checkout and after time rec'd. notice the transaction was canceled until I provide "proof of citizenship".....with no specification of which country and no definition of which document I needed for "proof"!  What kind of idiot business is that CMP!?  I'm through with them.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 1:15pm
CMP's  e-mail and other posted information is confusing.
It says to fill out the linked forms and then says buy through the e-store.

Here's my experience.
To purchase anything requires the approval process.  So to buy the bore reflector a few months ago:
I think in the checkout process I had to let them know my affiliated club (CCC in this case).  Then seperately send them a copy of some sort of proof of US citizenship etc. - I used a photo/scan of my old passport.    From the e-mail I revcieved this morning, that would have been enough proof to also buy the ammo.  

There are posts on CMP forum stating that paperwork is only good for one year, but dont know if thats true.

I also have a competition number just because I shoot in matches and the club sends in the results.  However I don't think that counts for anything as for as qualifying for sales.  So oddly not everyone who shoots in CMP matches may be eligible for purchases???  Who knows. 
jim77cg View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim77cg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 2:15pm
I received the e-mail notification last night. Clicked on the CMP ESTORE link in the CMP e-mail. Clicked on Surplus Ammo. All 3 options were available when I submitted my order. Quickly received e-mail order acknowledgement confirming my order. Didn't have to complete any additional paperwork. Looking forward to receiving my CMP ammo.     
jim77cg View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jim77cg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 1:37pm
M1 carbine ammo arrived yesterday.  I was lucky to order four bandoliers of 120 rounds each, all Lake City -72. 

Abel4287 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Abel4287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 4:03pm
it’s back available, I just purchased 240 rounds for $120.00 with shipping.
USMC 2111
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 5:32pm
I wonder what they are going to do with the ammo cans?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Good question. I could use more actual 30 carbine marked cans. 
The ammo that I received was all LC 69, and the bullets are attracted to a magnet, does not matter to me but it might matter depending on where you shoot.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

The ammo that I received was all LC 69, and the bullets are attracted to a magnet, does not matter to me but it might matter depending on where you shoot.

Dumb question. If the cases are brass, what would be steel?  I've seen references to steel plated bullets in WW2, but thought that was an expedient.  If I recall correctly it was for .38 Spl. in theater (so it could be used against enemy combatants).

Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Could be maybe some came packed in another manner? or they decided the easiest way to make more profit is sell the cans seperately?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>