The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RANGE REPORT. IKEA/James River Armory Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RANGE REPORT. IKEA/James River Armory Carbine
    Posted: Mar 26 2023 at 6:16pm
FINALLY got this poor thing to the range Big smile

For those wondering what in the world I'm talking about I bought a stripped James River Armory/LMT receiver off the Larry Ruth Estate.

This is my starting point

The receiver, my meager stash of USGI parts and a spare Numrich stock I had in the stash. I sent this mess to Fulton Armory last fall and a few weeks ago got this back.

Brand new "USGI" spec Carbine with a new Criterion barrel and the rest of the parts needed.

There was some initial concerns however. Fulton informed me that they had some issues with magazines not locking in right. When I got it I found that only some of my mags fit, others wouldn't lock up right.

After contacting "sleepnessnashadow" (Jim) about this he figured out the JRA receiver's trigger pin hole had been drilled slightly higher than USGI spec.

He suggested filing out the bottom of the hole slightly to see if I could fix it. After some trial and error I used the worst fitting USGI and KCI Korean mags I had and went to work.

The good news, I now have plenty of mags that fit and the test firing at the range today was 99% a success (I only fired 100 rounds, we'll explain as we go)

The 1st 50 rounds, using a "new" Midway USGI mag that was the worst fitting 1 when I started filing.

I started with 5 rounds in the mag at a time. You can see those went to the right but no feed issues, so I started loading 10 rounds at a time and just testing to see if I would have problems. It ran like a scared rabbit no issues so I figured try the KCI mag 50 rounds.

Again 50 rounds, starting with 2 5 round tests. No issues there so I try a 10 round check, where I have my 1st FTF on the 10th round. Looking back I think I might have "nudged" the mag with my hand or the bench rest I was using. I'll test that mag some more and see.

Last 30 round I test the USGI mag full 15 round loads. The carbine eats these up and I swear tells me "you got any more ammo?" Big smile

I think this one could be a keeper Big smile I'm already toying with swapping the stock with a Boyd's one I'm doing for my Fulton Armory M1A1 clone......
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2023 at 6:37pm
Dan deserves credit too. We both had a look at the failure to seat the magazine properly using the two remaining James River Rocknola Firearms receivers. "Rocknola" is a term I use.

Larry bought these receivers direct from the owner of James River. They'd never been used. The owner had advised me beforehand the parts on their carbines were hand fit. May be these receivers were slightly altered as needed.

Glad it worked out.

Jim
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2023 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

Dan deserves credit too. We both had a look at the failure to seat the magazine properly using the two remaining James River Rocknola Firearms receivers. "Rocknola" is a term I use.

Larry bought these receivers direct from the owner of James River. They'd never been used. The owner had advised me beforehand the parts on their carbines were hand fit. May be these receivers were slightly altered as needed.

Glad it worked out.

Jim

Yeap, I should be ok. Even that KCI mag should be ok, like I said.....I'm betting I jiggled the thing with the bench rest or my hand.

I kind of wish I'd paid attention to zeroing it more. I know windage should be good, might have to file the front sight down a tad.

I hope CMP gets that ammo on sale soon at a decent price, either that or I'm going to have to rent out a kidney and buy some off Ammoseek......
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 1:45pm
Ok, took 2 Carbines to the range but ended up just shooting the JRA, 200 rounds. Everything at 50 yards since I'm still in test mode

1st 50 rounds on the left. I tried a new KCI mag with a M1 follower and it hates it, won't feed so I switch to the 1st USGI mag I used 1st test. It runs 30 rounds the 1st target on the left and 50 rounds on the right no issues. I marked this "R-1" so I know it works 100% on this Carbine. I did notice rear sight moved a tad to the left on my, I just hit it with Lok-Tight to fix that.

Last 100 rounds. I tested the 2nd USGI I used the 1st test and again it runs great, I marked this one "R-2" and try another USGI mag. This one doesn't feed right either. The spring feels weak so after 15 rounds doing 10 round tests I decide to try the 1st KCI mag with the M-2 follower from my 1st range test. Running 10 round tests it runs through the remaining 30 rounds ok so I mark it for farther testing.

Right now I figure I have 2 USGI mags this thing loved, 1 USGI and 1 KCI mag it hates and 1 KCI mag it wants to be friends with.Big smile  Someday I'll find a Carbine mag that runs on every Carbine I own.....and I'll bronze the sucked!!!!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 2:09pm
Let me know when you do find the carbine that will run with any magazine. I had one that would it seems, but I let it get away. I have found myself stretching springs to make the one I shoot now shoot. The gun can be magazine picky. I mostly use those terrifying and dreaded plastic Universal magazines that will feed anything, maybe a corn cob if it would fit. I don’t plan on taking a carbine to a war, so 5-rounds at a time that are guaranteed to feed works for me.

Trigger housings in some actions just set too low, especially commercial carbine trigger housings. Stretching a spring usually works for me though.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 3:08pm
That seems strange to me. Maybe its because I only use GI mags except for a couple of 5 rounders. All of my carbines function well with any mag I care to use and I have 54 different mags including several 30 rounders.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 3:33pm
I believe the carbine Don is working with is a commercial. Not bashing, because I have had and have now a good commercial carbine, but it is somewhat magazine picky. I can’t say that I ever had a USGI carbine that was real picky about magazines. I think the trigger housing to the receiver fitment can be and is problematic in many commercials I have owned or shot. 

Sure, magazine springs can get soft enough to cause issues, but the USGI actions seem more fogiving.

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I believe the carbine Don is working with is a commercial. Not bashing, because I have had and have now a good commercial carbine, but it is somewhat magazine picky. I can’t say that I ever had a USGI carbine that was real picky about magazines. I think the trigger housing to the receiver fitment can be and is problematic in many commercials I have owned or shot. 

Sure, magazine springs can get soft enough to cause issues, but the USGI actions seem more fogiving.

Correct, the receiver is from the Larry Ruth collection and had the trigger housing retaining hole drilled slightly higher than USGI spec. I filed it out so the mags would fit and bought 5 NOS USGI mags from the Midway sale just for it. I know the 1st 2 USGI mags are from that.

I'm adding the KCI mags to my test's because I have a bunch of those and want to see if I can use them in it and save wear and tear on the USGI's. When I do use a KCI mag I tend to only load 10 rounds anyway so that 1 should be ok.

The USGI with the weakish spring I want to say is one of my older mags so it might just need a new spring anyway. When I was filing and fitting the trigger housing I went and checked the fit of a bunch of mags and might have mixed it in. Next time I take a "pure" USGI Carbine to the range (Memorial Day weekend) I'll take it and test it.

I just need to score more ammo. Prices still suck and I'm still low, I bought 4 boxes of Armscor yesterday at a LGS just to keep up with what I've been using the past couple of trips.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 5:37pm
I shoot very little 30-carbine. 9mm is almost back to pre-covid prices and commercial Tokarev closer to 50-cents. I have USGI carbines in both those calibers and they are just as much fun to shoot. I just am not going to purchase 30-carbine at todays prices. I reload anyway, but practically a dollar a pop for factory loads just is not comfortable or worth it.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2023 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I shoot very little 30-carbine. 9mm is almost back to pre-covid prices and commercial Tokarev closer to 50-cents. I have USGI carbines in both those calibers and they are just as much fun to shoot. I just am not going to purchase 30-carbine at todays prices. I reload anyway, but practically a dollar a pop for factory loads just is not comfortable or worth it.

I'm close to parking my Carbines until I can scrounge up more ammo. I want to get this JRA running right then I'll see what happens.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2023 at 7:44pm
Another 100 round range check

Tested another USGI mag at 50 and 100 yards. 50 on the left freehand, 50 on the right at 100 yards benched. I did screw up at the 100 and knocked the sight to the 300 yard setting......and wondered what the did I do Smile 

Gun ran like a Swiss watch with this mag up to the 15 round check (4 times) so I'm marking it "JR3". I'm up to 3 mags I trust 100% and 1 range mag.....slowly but surely getting enough to live with 
 Post Reply Post Reply