The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Noob from Virginia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2023 at 2:02pm
Just in case interested parties might wonder just when a carbine might stop firing….I have a story.

I have modified a Saginaw Gear to run 9mm. Strangely enough, SAAMI specs allow .022 head space .754-.776, which is the same as 7.62 x 33, 1.302-1.280.= .022. I was running an Iver Johnson cast bolt, which initially spaced inside .022. I just kept on shooting it until I finally became leery of it and pulled it. Just for kicks I measured the head space at .035 and it was still shooting. That’s .013 past the maximum, which would equate to 1.315 in a 30-carbine action.

9mm chamber pressures don’t duplicate 30-carbine pressures and I certainly do not recommend trying it in a 30-carbine, which could possibly cause some serious problems. It’s just an indication that a firing pin can still ignite a primer at considerably sloppy long head space and can serve as a reminder to check head space on occasion, especially on an often fired action. I was not trying to see how far I could go. The cast bolt just self destructed long before I thought it might. I no longer let cast bolts get anywhere near a carbine action.
Michael N View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2023 at 7:42pm
Just want to thank you guys for all the info. It’s greatly appreciated. I’m sure I’ll be learning a lot more about the carbine from the members here. Max thanks for the link to the military book for the m1. Does someone make copy in book form? I was amazed how detailed they were about cleaning and rust protection. The barrel wrench is crazy. Wonder what became of those. By the way I bought my first Inland at a gun show in DE back in early 90s ($350) Five digit SN. I know it’s rebuild, but does have all USGI parts. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2023 at 7:07am
Printed copies turn up at general used book stores as well as places that specialize in military books and WW2 - Korean conflict militaria.  Nicolaus is a small company that reprints some of the manuals  (hyperink in the second post of this thread).  There may be others currently reprinting as well.  Just be carefull that the reprints are complete.  For example there is an FM 23-7 reprint that only contains the first portion of the manual.  

The Club's Publication page has the details such as size and number of pages for nearly all. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2023 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Michael N Michael N wrote:

Max thanks for the link to the military book for the m1. Does someone make copy in book form?
The barrel wrench is crazy. Wonder what became of those. 

I have some manuals from the Larry Ruth collection. Let me know what one specifically you are looking for.

The barrel wrenches are out there, Larry had a full draw of the USGI and commercially made wrenches.
I will not be getting to those for a few months. If anyone has tool requests, drop me a PM or email.
Michael N View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2023 at 6:22pm
A lot to choose from at uscsrbine30. 
Thanks again for the info and links. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2023 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Michael N Michael N wrote:

A lot to choose from at uscsrbine30. 
Thanks again for the info and links. 
If you click on the picture at the top you will be brought to our web paged.
Menu on left side is where you will find the book and manual page.
And all the other pages will keep you busy for a month.

Enjoy!

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2023 at 8:27pm
Assuming you want a field manual and a tech manual, in my opinion can't go wrong Nicolaus's reprint of the 1944 FM23-7, and the 1953 version of the TM9-1276.  Same price range as an original, but easy to lay open on a table.  The field manual is an enlargement.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12