The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

H 110 powder and W 296

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H 110 powder and W 296
    Posted: Feb 12 2023 at 10:39pm
The biggest problem I've encountered is the lubricants getting stiff after the first string of fire. Moly does not do that but it offers no moisture protection.  It however is much cleaner, (smells less) but with intelligent handling the rifle there's no issues.  I carry a parka to protect myself and the rifles from winter conditions. 
David Milisock
CGG-1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2023 at 8:18pm
I appreciate the extra detail! I'm thinking about getting into reloading, and I want to consider cold weather issues, since I will be regularly shooting when it is below freezing.

Side note, I've owned my carbine for several years, but I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it until this past December/January. I was very excited to get it out to the range.

I went out in the cold back around the new year and shot some factory loaded PPU. I picked the nicest day I could (it was about 20 when I was shooting, while the rest of the week was between -10 and 15). The PPU performed well. I had a few failure to feed out of ~200 rounds, but I think that was due to an older spring in one of my mags (unfired rounds would stove pipe). 

The carbine was oiled up with some Hoppes No9 (their oil, not the grease), and I didn't notice any issues with moisture/ice build up.
Chris

NPM, Early 1943
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2023 at 10:34am
I made the change years ago when I was shooting much higher volumes of ammunition because of a couple reasons.  At that time a lighter load of LilGun compared to a lighter load of H110, (for less hard on the action higher volume tactical practice) shot cleaner and (to my perception) produced a noticeable difference in barrel heat after a 10 or 20 shot string. Using LilGun allowed me to replace H110 as it was good in my other cartridges but beware it's limited to under 50'000 PSI. At higher pressures it can produce extreme flame temperatures and cause gauling in revolver cylinders.

I decided to give up the tactical shooting and completely rebuilt my rifles and have them and my ammunition inventory setup as PDW/Truck rifles.

That process had me testing H110, LilGun and lubricants for extreme cold and heat. A load that's worked for cold weather may produce excessive pressure at 100+ degrees.  

Also from my experiance and talking to WWII and Korean War veterans cold weather performance was a problem, however to say it as I see it, the rifles in WWII seemed to have less issues in the cold than those used in Korea. I'd think that Howa and FN rebuilds were not as up to snuff as the newly built rifles and the ammunition quality was low and possibly susceptible to the cold.

My testing utilizing cold storage and wet/icy winter conditions had my rifles working cleaner and loads have less extreme spreads in velocity with LilGun and magnum primers.

The M1 Carbine with the gas port position is much like a long barreled handgun. It (as it should be for a defence rifle) is over gassed and produces powder residue in the action. That causes issues with contaminating lubricants in the cold. A grease or oil that does not freeze up in the extreme cold liquefied quickly becomes contaminated with powder residue and can after cooling render a rifle less reliable or inoperable.

I have tested moly lubricants against various other types and found that reasonable people have good arguments both ways. With extreme cold, clean and lubricated rifles both types of lubricants feel a bit  stiff at startup but function flawlessly.  After firing 100 rounds and placed back into the freezer for 3 hours the dry lubricated rifle showed little powder build up and functioned flawlessly for another 100 rounds.  The rifles with better greases were more dirty but still functioned flawlessly for another 100 rounds.

In the end I felt the moly lubricants were cleaner to the shooter but provided no better service. In the end any choice still requires the shooter to protect the rifle in the field from icing and to regularly clean the metal well for long term service.
David Milisock
CGG-1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CGG-1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2023 at 7:42pm
David, question on your switch to Lil Gun. Can you explain a little more why the faster burn rate of Lil Gun is preferable? Is it a matter of getting more combustion before the bullet has passed the gas port, or is it more about the improved muzzle velocity in the cold weather?
Chris

NPM, Early 1943
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2023 at 2:14pm
Welcome ole buddy. Glad your in the mix now. 
Lightning 330
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2023 at 11:46am
Hey Bill, welcome to the Club from New Mexico!
JackP
az30cal View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote az30cal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2023 at 11:36am
New to the forum, first post, and have enjoyed reading Lightning's questionsStar and all the responses. Lot to learn, and loving my first 30 cal!
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2023 at 10:24am
Interesting that so many people move the same way, I reload mostly but when PPU was inexpensive I bought 1,000 rounds, which when I shot a box for testing it shot pretty good. I figure I have a source for brass for awhile.
David Milisock
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2023 at 7:38pm
This is great. I love how this post has grown with discussion. PPU for me as a personal choice for brass and actual shelf loads. I prefer reloading my own, but when they hit 5-6 reloads. I toss them and get PPU shelf again for start-overs. My Acc #9 at 12.5 seems to be a close match so its all happy shooting, but I do now have the W 296 to use and try. I don't want to waste or deny the possible. Never say never until you try it. 
In general. Where is your normal cut off point on brass? Minus load and crimp variables. Just the general time frame of use. Love the plate shoots at 100 and 200 yards. Very nice carbines as well. 
I have a nice 10" swinging chain steel plate that I want to try. But at my local suburban gun range, it's all about working with others and their down time while you set up and tear down. Everyone works together, but you carry guilt as well. Hence: I have had it 2 years and never set it up. It's all good stuff guys and a great read full of good and possible info for me.   
Lightning 330
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2023 at 11:45pm
Yes thank you, that does make me feel a little better. I have loved PPU ammunition ever since I got into Milsurps over a decade ago. Every caliber I've tried of theirs has performed flawlessly. Luckily I have stockpiles of it, but we all know when shooting,stockpiles don't stay stockpiles forever haha
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2023 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Lightning330 Lightning330 wrote:

I agree S&B was a little hot for my taste but effective and I always saved the brass. With my pick of all, it boiled down to PPU. Just my opinion is all, but I liked it and my 3 carbines did as well, and also liked the brass for reloads. I have heard that PPU is not available anymore due to? 
Is this true, or just media talk? 

Well with a report or rumor that may be relevant to me, I like to see if I can turn up some source material.  In some ways no different than historical research.
If its a government law or regulation, those are all public. Regs typically go through public comment periods before implementation.  So there might be an original version and a revised version.
So for example the restrictions on Russian made goods - I haven't looked it up, but I don't think it would be hard to find.

Now for a commerical item, from a specific company, often these days they will post info on their website. 
Looking at PPU's US website, I'm not finding anything to indicate their products are not available.
https://ppu-usa.com/

If it makes you feel better I bought some PPU .30 carbine not long ago. They probably made a batch after catching up with the high demand stuff. It wasn't on the shelves long. 

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2023 at 9:56am
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

Did you see any pressure signs?

Not until I got to 16 grains of LilGun. The +300 FPS over factory Federal ammunition velocities improves the in close performance. With magnum primers winter performance was improved, however the 30 Carbine is still limited to 200 yards for high reliability in terms of hits. H110 did not perform will for me in winter even with magnum primers, it worked with no stoppages but it had wider variations in velocities and ejection went all over the place. Winter testing went down to 10 degrees F.

I've been using LilGun for some time now, I switched from H110. LilGun is one step faster on the burn rate chart than H110.

The 30 Carbine gas port is pretty close to the chamber and I had used H110 for years for various cartridges and the 30 Carbine. 
David Milisock
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Lightning330 Lightning330 wrote:

Also impressed with 35 Whelen's ability to ring a steel plate at 200 yards with 15.0 grains of W296. Heck, I can't even see that far. Unhappy Looking forward to hearing more. 

The key to shooting well with open sights (aside from the principles of shooting) is to have a target that works well with the sights. Trying to see a black post or Patridge front sight such as these against a black target is difficult, at best. My 100 yd. target is a 12" diameter piece of AR500 that I keep painted white.

The dark front sight of an M1 Carbine provides great contrast and makes it easy to repeat the sight picture.  

My 200 yd. target is a piece of 24" AR500. It too is painted white, only it has a roughly 12" black center with a roughly 4" white center. My almost 60 year old eyes can just make out the 4" white center, and when the white "splotch" almost disappears behind the front sight I know elevation is good.

This target works very well, even better than the 100 yd. target.

If I can do it, anyone can!

Regarding PPU ammunition, I believe it's still available, but not in .30 Carbine, at the moment.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 9:48pm
I sure hope that's just a rumor and not true about the PPU because that's basically all I run through my carbine and maybe a little bit of Remington every now and then but my M1 garand only uses PPU. That's all I have ever shot through my garand because it's great ammo and my thought on it was I needed to look no further.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 6:23pm
Reflecting back on pressure signs relating to the Sellier & Bellot cartridge:
There was noticeable flattening of the primer  but no cratering of the firing pin point of impact and no discoloration relating to powder blow back or extractor marks.
I bought the S & B for the brass casings to reload. 

"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 5:18pm
Just briefly back to Floyd's mention of S&B shelf ammo. Before I started reloading I of course used several brands of shelf. I agree S&B was a little hot for my taste but effective and I always saved the brass. With my pick of all, it boiled down to PPU. Just my opinion is all, but I liked it and my 3 carbines did as well, and also liked the brass for reloads. I have heard that PPU is not available anymore due to? 
Is this true, or just media talk? Ha - stirring the pot!

Edited by W5USMC - Feb 06 2023 at 10:49pm
Lightning 330
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 4:44pm

Nope
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 3:47pm
Wow! This is all so cool and interesting. Thanks to all of you for chiming in. All the info on primers is informative as well. I have been using Rem 6 1/2 and CCI 400 which both seem equal, but I'm not fine tuned in my head enough to really tell a difference. Range time is limited and surrounded by a reservation makes taking a fun road trip and plinking in the wide open spaces a little in the gray area. 
The 13.2 grains of W296 from David Albert is interesting with him using that load for so many years. Bigger is not always better, but that does sound on the light side. I'm sure I will load a few myself just to check it out. Also impressed with 35 Whelen's ability to ring a steel plate at 200 yards with 15.0 grains of W296. Heck, I can't even see that far. Unhappy Looking forward to hearing more. 

Lightning 330
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

Off the shelf Ballot & Sellier 110gr FMJ consistently at 2,100f/s average.  A bit hot but acceptable.

Other S&B calibers I shoot run warm also. It’s good stuff.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 1:51pm
David Milisock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>