The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ammo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ammo
    Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 8:22am
Is  American made  30 carbine ammo being made to day, I can only find old civilian and older mil surplus ammo either on line or at shows. No carbine ammo at stores.
Smokie
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 8:49am
As far as I know Federal (American eagle), Remington (UMC) still make it. Others may have more insight but I think it's not a caliber that they load all year, similar to hunting ammo which has also been scarce.
I have always found 30 carbine difficult to buy off the shelf. I think you'd be more likely to find it online when it does become available.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 9:07am
If one insist on shooting 7.62 x 33, reloading or hunting-and-pecking for ammo seems to rule the day. You can enjoy the carbine and shoot for cheap with plentiful ammo if you consider a caliber conversion and it’s not that difficult to do.
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 9:36am
To be honest I believe that ammunition purchases have moved on line rather than something stocked at local shops anymore. I really can find 30 Carbine regularly.  
David Milisock
Komatsu61 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Komatsu61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 9:42am
I just had a couple boxes of Aquila delivered.  Also I've seen Magtec, PPU, Precision One and Armscor available. I have all but Armscor on hand. Most shoot the same as the Korean surplus except the Magtec groups fine but impacts slightly higher.  Really like the Aquila but it's hard to come by.
Also picked up a couple hundred rounds of the CMP ammo last year at the Nationals, have yet to shoot it. Hope it shoots well.
Komatsu61 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Komatsu61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 9:51am
forgot to mention LAX Ammo out of California.  They manufacture new 30 carbine. Not a bad price for $183 for 250rnds. I've ordered other brands from them and their a good company however I've never bought their brand of any caliber.  I "hear" good things online, I may buy some of their 9mm to try first.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 11:27am
LAX has been mentioned a few times but no reports yet on it in use.
Precision One made some lots which can be bought directly or through others.
I've seen Remington for sale on-line.  They were bought by Vista two years ago and the factories stayed here.  It may have impacted the distribution network though.  That was the impression I got at my LGS.  He didn't expect to see any Rem for a while if at all.

It's all made in lots or batches.  So calibers that are in less demand were not produced while the companies caught up on the high demand ammo. 
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 1:08pm
There is quite a bit of Remington 30 carbine on the shelves in the stores around Kingsport Tennessee in my area. Just bought some last week with gift cards I got for the holidays. Luckily our stores around here's shelves are getting full of ammo again. Even Russian made tulammo 762x39 which surprised me since no more imports from Russia for the foreseeable future. If you have a Dunham sports store near you check them, they seem to have a lot of ammo in mostly all calibers available. So much so, that's where all my gift cards come from from the family for the holidays, they always have ammo.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 6:27pm
Speaking of reloading the .30 Carbine, I ran across these ridiculously cheap bullets a few days ago- ArmscorPrecision - 30M1 - 110gr. - FMJ Bullets - 100rnd/Bag (advancedtactical.com)
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2023 at 11:05pm
I have used the LAX, shot 500+ rounds of it. Shoots good and reloads well also. PS, check Freedom Munitions if LAX is out of stock, they are the same company I think. Also, you can probably find a free shipping promo code for being a first time buyer with either. 
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2023 at 3:46am
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

Speaking of reloading the .30 Carbine, I ran across these ridiculously cheap bullets a few days ago- ArmscorPrecision - 30M1 - 110gr. - FMJ Bullets - 100rnd/Bag (advancedtactical.com)

wish we had that cheap bullets here, we pay $100+ for 500 in Europe
boxes of ammo (50) are $40+
but we have good ammo like ppu and S&B
primers are very hard to get so I hope that since they are getting back in stores in the usa they will stop buying them in Europe so we can have some.
powder is getting hard to get too so soon I will be throwing rocks on the range.

did the third primer company ever started producing anything in the usa ?
1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2023 at 8:34pm
I’m in CA and two of my local gun stores seem to always have a few boxes on the shelf. Not cheap, around a dollar a round. I bought a box of Remington when I started reloading to have some as a reference, and a box of another manufacturer (forgot who made it) as a birthday gift to my brother in law when he was given his grandfather’s carbine. These are smallish independent gunshops, not bass pro type places.

As has been before by others reloading this round is pretty straight forward: trimming is the only additional step as compared to straight-walled pistol calibers. Economical as well.

T R
charlie44gs View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie44gs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2023 at 9:48am
I found these at local weekend shows over the past year. The Load-X was made in 2021 but the others were much older. I reload using suggestions found i=on this site.

David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2023 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Timothy Timothy wrote:

I’m in CA and two of my local gun stores seem to always have a few boxes on the shelf. Not cheap, around a dollar a round. I bought a box of Remington when I started reloading to have some as a reference, and a box of another manufacturer (forgot who made it) as a birthday gift to my brother in law when he was given his grandfather’s carbine. These are smallish independent gunshops, not bass pro type places.

As has been before by others reloading this round is pretty straight forward: trimming is the only additional step as compared to straight-walled pistol calibers. Economical as well.

I'm finding that the once fired cases from various manufacturers vary a great deal from a few thousands over minimum to a few thousands under max, makes seating easier and cycling reliable. 
David Milisock
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 3:07am
I always trim them to the same lenght, but I found some that are under the minimum lenght only fired once, that puzzels me.

And I have one brand that will not fit the rcbs case trimmer, I think it was cbc, the pilot of the case trimmer just doesnt go inside the casing
1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
 Post Reply Post Reply