Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland 5,211,723

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland 5,211,723
    Posted: Jan 20 2023 at 10:57am
Picked this one up right at the start of the year. Luckily, my check cashed before 2023 started, so when I buy my next one I can tell my wife when she gets mad "Hey, this is the first gun I have bought all year!"
I found this on on everyone's "favorite" auction sight, was being sold by a pawnshop in Washington State. Got a good deal on it also. This is an original appearing Inland from their 3rd serial number block. The gun features a barrel dated "44", no month listed, as well as the square stake marks on the t2 rear sight, and a t2 band marked "//" which was reported some in this SN block. what really intrigued me about it was the accessories that it sold with. It was shipped with a wooden dowel that was used as a sling retainer that was notched on both ends so it would not come loose from the stock, an old leather style hunting sling, and what appears to be a home made welded USGI magazine modified to hold only 5 rounds. To me, this says it has never been in the hands of a collector (as I believe most would not put that on their carbines). Anyways, enough of my blabbering. Like last time, I took lots of pictures, I will post a few here and also will look the google photos album with detailed pictures of all parts. I will also post the data sheet. Let me know what everyone thinks. https://photos.app.goo.gl/LvrvmjvkapaCZ5n9A

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2023 at 11:20am
Very nice! Looks like an honest original carbine. I don’t see anything out of place. 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2023 at 12:07pm
Beautiful, it checks all the right boxes. Things like the recoil plate to receiver wear imprint seal the deal. And, cool recoil plate wood impression. You won a nice won ;)
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2023 at 12:18pm
That is a nice one Ethan. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2023 at 12:40pm
Looks good. Thanks for posting the pictures and Data Sheet. This will be one I add to the Inland Serial Number Spread Sheet.
JackP
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2023 at 3:45pm
Nice Carbine.  Thanks for posting!
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2023 at 6:31pm
Thanks, I thought it was nice too. What’s funny is it was also the cheapest carbine I have purchased. It fe through the cracks for sure 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2023 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Beautiful, it checks all the right boxes. Things like the recoil plate to receiver wear imprint seal the deal. And, cool recoil plate wood impression. You won a nice won ;)

Thanks, it def looks it. I’m also shocked it was the cheapest carbine I have bought Shocked
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2023 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Looks good. Thanks for posting the pictures and Data Sheet. This will be one I add to the Inland Serial Number Spread Sheet.

That’s always a goal when I get a new ‘bean LOL
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2023 at 6:05pm
This carbine has one of the early style, milled adjustable sights with the staking notches on the rear, left and right. Later Milled adjustable sights have the staking notches on the right side only, front and back. Also the staking is rectangular as opposed to the later round style staking. See CC newsletter 361, page 9.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2023 at 8:10pm
Yes, I noticed the rectangular stake marks, I thought they were very interesting!. I then read about it in the newsletter you mentioned. I also have a 5.4 inland I believe is original, and it has the round stake marks that are normally seen. 
 Post Reply Post Reply