Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1A1 unfolded angle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A1 unfolded angle?
    Posted: Dec 04 2022 at 7:45pm
I have been fussing with a SARCO reproduction stock assembly for some time for a nice fit.
Without writing a book, my main question is. Unfolded, does the original lay flat at 180 degrees, or is there a a slight offset angle to it? Clearance is good with everything visible from the outside. 
It will lock open and closed. It is slightly more positive when open or unfolded, compared to folded.
Feel and ears only but the detent is working both ways. Since few have the original, I hope to hear from you lucky ones. I just don't want to be chasing a ghost unless I need too. 
Thanks again to all and any input.      
Lightning 330
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2022 at 6:27pm
I believe they should open slightly beyond 180 degrees. It keeps recoil from closing the stock with every shot.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2022 at 8:01pm
Thanks Smokpole for your reply and input. The problem I'm having or curious about is: After mods, tweaking, etc. I have 170 degrees. It is a repro of course and fitting is always a challenge. I'm very curious how the original is set up. 
The top rear rail lines up nicely locked-in with the receiver and sights, but is at an angle unfolded. I'm going to say 10-13 degrees. Since the pivot arm when unfolded is at the far right. To my thinking anyway, a slight angle puts everything in line for recoil? It looks odd and that is why I'm curious how the real deal is set up. It will never be the real thing. I'm just trying to get all the geometry correct  
before I try changing everything again. I just want to make sure what direction I need to approach if at all. 
Thanks again.  

Edited by W5USMC - Dec 06 2022 at 10:21pm
Lightning 330
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2022 at 9:56pm
I’ll have to double check but I’m pretty sure it’s less than 180 degrees.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2022 at 12:02pm
Thanks kro1970. Much appreciate anything you can find out. As it is, I see no way to get more than the 170 degrees that I have. It could be fault of the reproduction or as I'm trying to find out. Maybe it's the nature of the original's as well. Thanks.
PS: The 170 degrees is a guess, give or take a little.  
Lightning 330
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2022 at 2:24pm
Lightning, maybe I am not understanding what you are asking. Below are pictures of an original locked open with a yardstick next to it.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2022 at 2:34pm
I just checked my stock and the wire section seems to be parallel with the rest of the wood stock. Maybe just a bit beyond 180 degrees.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2022 at 3:31pm
Many thanks to you both on the last two replies. Very much appreciated and is a big help.
I just did my final and last reassembly and it looks like I'm going too be very happy with it. I would say it is at the same position of the pics sent. Last small tweak did the trick. Nice compare W5USMC with the yardstick. My next step is a little cleanup and touchup, and then figure how to send some pics. 
Is there an app I need to download? I was set up for this years ago with an app. Then I crashed my computer and lost everything. Has anything changed? Thanks again to all. It will only be a shooter of course, but I wanted it close for the geometry. The reproduction was way off on all that. The folded position had the the top rail at the base of stock. It would only unfold at 7/8 of its travel if that. I cut and added .350 into the lower rail which put everything pretty much in place. Thankfully the rail was solid instead of hollow. It's a Bubba, but I would like to think a good Bubba on a reproduction. I want to share my frustrations with pics and let you guys decide overall. Thanks again to all.  

Edited by W5USMC - Dec 06 2022 at 10:28pm
Lightning 330
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2022 at 10:31pm
Pictures added to Lightning 330's posts above.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply