The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flip Sight Pin Staking?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flip Sight Pin Staking?
    Posted: Dec 03 2022 at 10:31am
Howdy Guys. Need some help. I have been secretly restoring my very first carbine. I have managed to find all the needed parts but a type 2 stock (well I have found them, just not for a price I am willing to pay). I have even acquired a legitimate “wSI” flip sight base and “WI” leaf. Both in good shape. However, the pin that holds the leaf into the base can be pushed out with slight pressure using a tiny punch. It is my shooter carbine, and don’t want to lose the leaf one day due to the pin coming out. I have messaged a few people about this and have gotten some good advice, but I want to hear all ideas about what should be done. If your idea is to restake it, please tell me what tools and how you did it. I have attached the google photos folder for my Inland3.07 restoration. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6nzmo17Gi7nh4iQw7 
I would also be interested an acquiring another pin if someone had one they wouldn’t mind letting go of. 
Thanks!
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2022 at 10:42am
I would just use red lock tight. I've done that with a couple of my "shooter" carbines with no issues  
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2022 at 11:33am
The pin was probably taken out to refinish. You could re-stake lightly but that will be more noticable. If it were me, I'd clean the holes and pin thoroughly then use Loctite 620 retaining compound on the ends. It won't come loose. Retaining compound should be better in this application.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2022 at 1:40pm
Looks about as good as one could hope for...nice job!
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2022 at 8:54pm
Yes I’m pretty happy with my restoration so far. I already had the type one band on the gun. And the rear sight wasn’t staked for an adjustable so I got lucky. Plus it has the original Inland finish on it. Pretty pleased. 
 Post Reply Post Reply