Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Show Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ohio OCGA Show Report 11/20/22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ohio OCGA Show Report 11/20/22
    Posted: Nov 20 2022 at 1:05pm
If I could name a actor after the show today it would be Slim Pickens LOL

Smattering of M1 Carbines, some decent prices.....some the old Crazy Eddy "those prices are insane" came to mind and not in a good way.

I had 1 guy try and convince me a Underwood for $1500 was "all correct and original". I told him I could see the shadow from the Type 3 barrel band bayonet lug and he had installed his repro flip sight on backwards LOL 

There was 1 table of 14 Carbines from a collection marked between $5-6000 a pop. Some "X" series also not marked. Those looked correct but I didn't look at them closely, at $5k average price too rich for my wallet.

I "almost' talked myself into a Gen1 Universal with a low serial number for $650 (marked 750 but the guy had just bought it from a private seller for $500....that I would have jumped on) but figured I have 4 1/2 commercial Carbines here now and with Xmas coming up need to watch the spending (damn leeches, ah....I mean family members Smile )  
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2022 at 9:13pm
There were between 35 and 40 carbines there, but not a lot of parts. I saw very few fair prices. Most were way over-priced. That guy with the high prices must have thought his were made of gold. They didn't look anywhere near good enough to command those prices. I had enough money with me to buy a carbine IF the prices were fair, but I walked out of the show with nothing more than a .45 bullet mold. Everything that I saw that interested me was priced at near obscene levels. I think the idea of inflation has hit the firearms market!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2022 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

There were between 35 and 40 carbines there, but not a lot of parts. I saw very few fair prices. Most were way over-priced. That guy with the high prices must have thought his were made of gold. They didn't look anywhere near good enough to command those prices. I had enough money with me to buy a carbine IF the prices were fair, but I walked out of the show with nothing more than a .45 bullet mold. Everything that I saw that interested me was priced at near obscene levels. I think the idea of inflation has hit the firearms market!

The only thing I was really looking for was decent birch or post war walnut stock to have as a shooting stock for my Fulton Armory "Paratrooper" Carbine (I display that in the gun case in the M1A1 stock, I shoot it with a fixed stock Tongue)

Those were overpriced too. Hopefully next show something will pop up. This one there were lot of empty tables, but it could have been I went today, I had to work yesterday Cry  
M1Collector View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2022 at 10:52am
Totally agree with the observations above.  The prices were the highest I've seen since becoming an OGCA member 15 years ago.  Betting that the guy with the overpriced carbines didn't sell even one.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2022 at 11:42am
Originally posted by M1Collector M1Collector wrote:

Totally agree with the observations above.  The prices were the highest I've seen since becoming an OGCA member 15 years ago.  Betting that the guy with the overpriced carbines didn't sell even one.

I saw 1 guy buy a USGI Inland for 2k that had went through the rebuild program. Granted, the barrel gauged damn near "0" on my CMP gauge (I checked it) but at that price.....too rich for my blood.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2022 at 9:12am
I agree with the abundance of, and pricing of Carbines that was seen at the show.

I was standing at the above mentioned vendors table on Friday night as the helpers were unpacking.  After the first 3-4 I really wasn't paying too close attention to serial numbers....the asking prices were comical.  I walked a couple rows and ventured back when all was unpacked.  I saw a couple 3.7 IBM's for $5500+, a 3xxxx Winchester for $6500 or $8500 can't remember, Un-Quality for 19.5K and two IP's for $21K and $22K.  I never made it back to his table on Sunday afternoon to see if any sold.

A friend said this vendor had fairly recently purchased a collection of over 200 Carbines.

I heard of a 7.2 Winchester that was walking around with a very badly sanded stock, but I did not get to look at it.

For anyone interested, I plan on having a small 10 rifle display at the January 28-29 show.  Please stop by P-10 and have a look and introduce yourself.  

This is a members only show.  If anyone should have an interest in going, feel free to PM me or other OGCA members to obtain a guest pass (they run $15).  OGCA just recently added an April 29-30 show at the Medina, Ohio fairgrounds that would be much closer for western Pa and NY members.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2022 at 8:31pm
Weather permitting, I'll be there. Its a 4.5 hour drive for me. I'm about as far away as you can get and still be in Ohio! (N. E. Corner)

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2022 at 7:24pm
I was there as well, and noticed the sky high prices on the aforementioned table, and then there was a table with several Carbines that were in the $1500 range. I saw only a couple of single Carbines. They seemed to be gathered together for resale.

The best part of the show was that the new restaurant opened, so our Thompson Submachine Gun lunch meetings have resumed with appropriate food after a several show hiatus since the departure of Max & Erma's.

I bought a couple of manuals, but that was it. Nothing really called to me this time, but I rarely miss a show, and there was a good crowd this time.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply