The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from Florida

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vellnueve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from Florida
    Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 11:26pm
Just posting a quick intro...

New member, currently in Northeastern Florida but move around wherever the Navy sends me.

Currently have 10 carbines including the following (going off memory):

Saginaw (import-marked, first carbine I ever got, gift from my dad as a kid) - Bavarian markings
Underwood (CMP gun from the mid-2000s batch)
Quality Hardware (barreled receiver from the mid-2000s CMP batch, built up with a Kahr bolt and trigger group)
Rock-Ola (also from that CMP batch)
Saginaw S'G' (also from that CMP batch)
IBM (Blue Sky import, picked up from a shop in Massachusetts years ago)
Inland (picked up as a barreled receiver from a local shop and pieced together over time)
Winchester (picked up at the Tulsa show a few years ago, import marked)
National Postal Meter (picked up at a different Tulsa show a few years ago, also import marked)
Standard Products (picked up at a Cabela's back when they had interesting guns in their gun libraries)
Irwin-Pedersen (purchased from Curt Ferrell at a gun show years ago for way too much money)

Also have a few receivers lying around: 2 plainfields and a Rockola junker reweld that I need to bandsaw to keep anyone from ever trying to fire

Looking forward to documenting these and figuring out what I have, I've wanted to do it for years
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 11:34pm
Welcome to the forum! Quite the menagerie you have there!

I couldn’t help but chuckle at the “Standard Products (picked up at a Cabela's back when they had interesting guns in their gun libraries)” bit, as I just bought an Inland Div. M1 at Cabela’s yesterday. They also had a WW2-era Colt 1911 for $2,500, but they don’t allow potential buyers to disassemble the firearm to ensure legitimacy, so -needless to say- I was apprehensive about jumping on it. While it’s true their Gun Library pales in comparison to what it was a few years ago, the Post Falls location seems to regularly acquire some interesting offerings.

Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
vellnueve View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vellnueve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Pro Libertate Pro Libertate wrote:

Welcome to the forum! Quite the menagerie you have there!

I couldn’t help but chuckle at the “Standard Products (picked up at a Cabela's back when they had interesting guns in their gun libraries)” bit, as I just bought an Inland Div. M1 at Cabela’s yesterday. They also had a WW2-era Colt 1911 for $2,500, but they don’t allow potential buyers to disassemble the firearm to ensure legitimacy, so I was apprehensive.

Yes, I bought it before Bass Pro bought them - I think it was 2016. The SP was $600 after military discount which I felt was a really good price at that time for any carbine in nice shape.

I walked into that same Cabelas in Texas a few days ago and their library was filled with Tristar shotguns and only a few legitimately collectible guns. They've fallen so far...
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 11:48pm
Yeah… I think it’s safe to say the days of $600 surplus carbines are over! Miracles do happen though, as some members continue to prove.

Our Cabela’s was the same as you describe up until recently. Maybe they’re beginning to listen to customer feedback. I was surprised to learn from a particularly garrulous employee that Cabela’s requires at least a 35% profit margin on all the guns sold through the library. I can’t imagine too many people are willing to take such a bath, especially considering the increasing number of firearm auction sites out there with reasonable final value/consignment fees.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
vellnueve View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vellnueve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2022 at 11:56pm
Sounds about right. When they were independent the gun library had leeway to negotiate on prices to a significant extent, but Bass Pro put an end to it, which is a shame because they had really nice stuff at the time.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2022 at 8:06pm
"Irwin-Pedersen (purchased from Curt Ferrell at a gun show years ago for way too much money)" ???

Is that even possible anymore? I see them advertised at shows for upwards of 6 grand replete with repro parts! And the sad part is that they actually sell! I guess P. T. Barnum was right....
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
vellnueve View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vellnueve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2022 at 12:57am
From what I understand he was an honest dealer who just had high prices, so I think my gun is authentic. I remember reading somewhere that his trailer got broken into at Tulsa and a ton of guns were stolen.
rice paddy daddy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rice paddy daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2022 at 12:54pm
Welcome from NE Florida.
Thank you for serving our country.
Long, long, ago I was US Army for three years and then got out.
Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2022 at 6:05pm
Our "local" Cabela's had some reconditoned K98s for an exorbitant $1200 and a Winchester Model 12 12 ga. Other than those the rest of the things in the "Library" were fairly new firearms.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply