Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sling marking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sling marking
    Posted: Sep 25 2022 at 6:14pm
Just got a nice condition C Tip sling. It has a faint marking on it. Anyone able to decipher it?

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2022 at 7:30pm
BR 549
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2022 at 8:31pm
Are you pickin' or grinin', Roger?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2022 at 5:23am
Some won’t understand, but that guess is as good as any I think.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2022 at 1:46pm
Ethan and I are the best of friends. I don’t think he’s completely thrilled with my attempt at humor though. He has dived head-long into carbine interest and collecting and for that can be applauded. 

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2022 at 1:48pm
Roger is a good friend to have, until you have to use the bathroom at his house haha
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2022 at 3:13pm
Need some better pics.
female socket and back plate, brass or steel?
does it look like the bottom is a full year or .44. ?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2022 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Need some better pics.
female socket and back plate, brass or steel?
does it look like the bottom is a full year or .44. ?

I will try and take better pictures of it when I get home. I almost did not even notice it was marked. I am not sure how I can make the picture any better, but I will try. If you have any tips on improving the pictures, I am always willing to learn! 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2022 at 3:40pm
take pictures outside in the shade. The camera will see it better then your eye.
Inside next to a window that a sheer curtain. this will give directional light. then take pictures from same angle but rotate the subject. The light hitting it from different angles sometimes makes markings easier to see.

With hard parts I recommend a flashlight from the sides. This creates shadows in the letter which the camera may pick up.
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2022 at 5:57pm
S.M.C
44*
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2022 at 6:43pm
[QUOTE=Rcycles45] S.M.C
                                44* 

+1
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 8:25am
I've got a couple of these slings and lighting and camera tricks don't really work; in fact they tend to distort the stamp the point where it becomes a muddled mess. Metal and wood parts do well with extra lighting, but often one needs a bit of patience with the lighting to get it right.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2022 at 5:28pm
Taking better pictures did not work. But, after seeing the consensus of "SMC 44" i asked someone else, who has not followed the thread, and when he said SMC 44 before seeing it, I knew that had to be it. Thanks to all your help, I learned something new. None of my other slings had been marked before (or at least still visible). 

And thanks to Roger for his help, NOTLOL
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2022 at 11:22pm
So, LOLcan anyone tell me what SMC stands for? I can guess, or look in my books but always forget when I have them in front of me 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2022 at 11:29pm
Sturges Mfg Company
Yours marking is believed to be sold directly to the government
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2022 at 11:32pm

Sturges Mfg Company

As opposed to being sent directly to a prime contractor?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2022 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

Sturges Mfg Company

Correct. Keep in mind any marked sling is becoming more collectable
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2022 at 10:45am

Sturges Mfg Company

Correct. Keep in mind any marked sling is becoming more collectable

Thanks, this is my third original sling, and the only one that had a marking on it. I am guessing that is your subtle way of saying "take care of it and don't mess it up Ethan!"
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2022 at 12:10pm

I am guessing that is your subtle way of saying "take care of it and don't mess it up Ethan!" 

Send it to floydthecat so he can convert it into a lanyard for a Tokarev!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2022 at 12:26pm
aint no telling what Roger would try and do with it. I can see him trying to make it a slingshot or something.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>