The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soft Point Dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 4:04pm
The 4 round mag. arrived from Numrich today.  Very tight fit in magazine well but soft points cycle as they should.  Was a real Hillary to get the empty mag. outa the well though.
'Zackly where do I whittle to get it to slide in/out easily w/o having to use a hammer?
Perhaps some pics w/ sticky paper applied to area(s) needing sanding?

Thanks in advance.

"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

The 4 round mag. arrived from Numrich today.  Very tight fit in magazine well but soft points cycle as they should.  Was a real Hillary to get the empty mag. outa the well though.
'Zackly where do I whittle to get it to slide in/out easily w/o having to use a hammer?
Perhaps some pics w/ sticky paper applied to area(s) needing sanding?

Thanks in advance. 

If you can manage to get it in and out, use it like that for a while. Metal defeats plastic in a wear contest and the mag will wear-in over use. But…..if it’s totally a PITA tight, your tape idea or a white marker to show where the rubs are will point to the issue. Usually….a little on either side of the runners on the back and maybe a tad in front on both sides of the ridge. I find using the flat edge of a bastard file will scrape it. One scissor-blade will also work. Pin knives are too week.

NOT TO MUCH all at once….work with it.

Do not use and strong cleaner or you will melt it. 

PS: I can mark one up and send you a pix?

Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 4:50pm
Floydthecat,
I crammed it inand out a few times and see where the plastic is scored in the tight spots.  I was fixin' to put the caliper on the plastic and USGI and compare when I got your note.
I'll holler if I need the pics.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 5:51pm
The resistance was in the rear top of the mag. just above the 2 parallel ridges that guide the mag. into the well.  Sanded that down as well as the ridges a little and now works very well.  In the future I would paint surfaces w/ Liquid Paper, let it dry, insert into well, withdraw and see where the Liquid paper is scraped off.  That would indicate where the resistance is.

Thanks again Floydthecat.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 6:17pm
Du-u-uh-h, closer and smarter inspection of the plastic magazine and the Type 3 magazine catch on the carbine (the button ya push to jettison the magazine) reveals ya gotta depress the magazine catch button to facilitate insertion of the plastic magazine!  Doing so the magazine slips in slicker'n a Tootsie Roll Pop!  Could it possibly be the plastic magazine didn't need whittlin' at all??!!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 6:34pm
Don’t beat yourself up too bad. Most of them do require a little fitting and it can be trigger housing specific. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 6:54pm
And you said Sawbones that it was hard to remove when you first tried it, I assume that you were pressing the mag release then? Thinking the filing was needed.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2022 at 7:01pm
Yes, I was depressing the release button.  Upon further consideration I agree w/ you.  Initially I had to lightly tap it out w/ a wooden stick and hammer. Soon as I figure out how to post photos I'll send pics of where I sanded the surfaces.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12