The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soft Point Dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft Point Dilemma
    Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 2:34pm
Off the shelf Sellier & Bellot cartridge 110gr FMJ OAL 1.654" chambers 100% of time rapid fire.
Off the shelf Sellier & Bellot cartridge 110gr Soft Point OAL 1.652" mis-feeds 100% time same magazine.  The nose of the projectile catches on the left rim of mouth of chamber preventing cartridge from entering chamber.

Thinking about shoving projectile deeper into casing.

Thoughts?

"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 2:56pm
That can be carbine specific, some feed ‘em and some don’t. Maybe polishing out the bump spot, tweak mag-lips, or use a single-stack magazine to place the nose in front of the chamber.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 3:15pm
Single stack mag!!??  Where do I get one?
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 3:18pm
You will have to hold your nose and open your wallet. Universal black polymer mags will feed about anything, but asking prices are over the top and capacity is limited. None-the-less, they are good feeders. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 3:31pm
Think that Numrich has the 4 round plastic mags for around $28 It will require a bit of sanding/filing to get it to fit the mag well correctly, roger walked me through the process when I tried one. Once fitted it feeds anything. I only use mine when nobody is around to see me using it.  LOL
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 3:52pm
Yep….might take a little courage to install that Universal mag, but the darn things work. I have sort-of pursued getting some manufactured with greater capacity, but time being, my buddy 03 and I are working on a project to increase capacity. I use them for 30-caliber and a couple of carbines we have modified to other calibers. 

If one seeks these out, used ones are notorious for splitting in the rear web. Beware of what you buy.  
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Think that Numrich has the 4 round plastic mags for around $28 It will require a bit of sanding/filing to get it to fit the mag well correctly, roger walked me through the process when I tried one. Once fitted it feeds anything. I only use mine when nobody is around to see me using it.  LOL

Haha that made me LOL Wayne. I am always teasing Roger about his baby mags. He told me "he likes the little ones" what ever that is supposed to mean? 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 4:06pm
I know my inland which will eat anything has had no problems with soft points. Now my 1.8 QHMC is the opposite, and will only feed/shoot milsurp reliably. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 4:10pm
One can whine, complain, grind or modify a receiver, magazine or ammo…..or use something that already works.😁
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 4:23pm
Yeah Rebel, ditto my Q.H.M.C.  It ate all those milsurps you sent w/o a single misfeed.  Hates soft points just like your Q.H.  Must be brand-unique. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

Yeah Rebel, ditto my Q.H.M.C.  It ate all those milsurps you sent w/o a single misfeed.  Hates soft points just like your Q.H.  Must be brand-unique. 

at some point i think they made some changes with the barrel. Mine is an undated rock-ola barrel. someone will have the answers. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 4:37pm
Get a Universal mag…..😂.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 4:52pm
Yeah Rebel, my Q.H. has an undated ROCK-OLA also.  the common denominator.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 6:18pm
Hey floydthecat, where do I get a universal mag that'll work and where can I find instructions on how to whittle on it to make it work.
Thanx in advance.
sls
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

at some point i think they made some changes with the barrel. Mine is an undated rock-ola barrel. someone will have the answers. 

That's funny my Quality Hardware and my Inland eats all FMJ and all soft points I've ever tried except many years ago some Winchester hollow points.
David Milisock
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 6:57pm

Hey floydthecat, where do I get a universal mag that'll work and where can I find instructions on how to whittle on it to make it work.
Thanx in advance.
sls

Surf ebay and gunbroker, maybe others or just do a general google search for “universal m1 carbine magazine”. You might turn up GI mags as they also fit Universals, but you are looking for the Black Plastic 4-round mag.

Fitting is not a big issue and it might slip right in….depends on the carbine, but you just have to know what to polish….me and Wayne do.😁

Be sure and inquire about any splits or cracks. Many of them you see for sale are cracked in the rear web. That will never happen unless one tries to force in more that four rounds, or leaves the mag loaded for long periods of time.

You can pm me with an email address for pictures or additional help.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 7:44pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Magazine, .30 Cal. Carbine, 4 Round, Lexan | Gun Parts Corp.

Wayne nailed it. Prolly won’t find a better price. If you have trouble fitting, I will trade you one that is fitted.
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 8:07pm
Wayne,
Thanx-amundo!  Just bought one; 40 bucks w/ tax & shipping.  All I found elsewhere were pretty battered up used Universal stuff.  This one is brand new in box Iver Johnson manufactured made of Lexan plastic which is one of the hardest, toughest plastics on the planet.

Will this one need whittlin' on to make it fit in my carb.?

This will make my carb. a dandy hog gun down here in Texas.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 8:24pm
Try it and see. If it’s too tight, we can help you fit it, but like I said above…..I will swap you one if you have difficulty. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>