Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arlington Import with Type 1 Barrel Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 11:02pm
I'm having some difficulty resizing my photos from their original size to fit within the 500 KB limit while maintaining good resolution.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 11:18pm
Use paint, resize with pixels, change horizontal to 720. 
You have plenty of data space, please don't delete pictures that you have already posted.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 11:35pm
Gotcha, thanks!  I'll try to get those posted.  And that was an accident actually.  I didn't realize it would remove them from already posted posts if I tried to remove and replace them in my profile.    
Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2022 at 12:18am
Here's the original set of photos.

Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2022 at 8:45pm
I think this is a better resolution version.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2022 at 11:18am
Barrel band looks good to me
Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 9:00pm
Awesome, thanks!  I feel kind of conflicted about selling the band now actually.  I went and shot my carbine over the weekend and didn't real notice there being an accuracy issue.  Maybe my bar is just lower than most!  I do need to replace the rear sight though, the sh*tty repro that was on the gun blew apart about 50rds in.  I'm leaning towards trying to find a USGI type 2 still, preferably one that matches the finish on the receiver.  
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2022 at 11:41pm
Parkerizing color:  While some of it may relate to the oil and cosmoline over time, there are some posts here that point to the historical documentation regarding the specific chemicals resulting in color variations. 

Rear sight: As Rebel wrote a big clue that the carbine had type 2  or 3 adjustable sight at one time will be the stake marks.  See the punch marks in my photos here of a carbine with repro flip sight, and then the adjustable sight that it came back to the U.S. with. 

Accuracy for competition: I assume this is a CMP type match?  
Besides the greaer surface area I *think* the advantage of a type 2 or 3 barrel band may be that consistancy of the clamping force after field strip and reassembly.   How much difference?  Like you I don't know.  I do know most of the shot to shot variation is in me. 

I've been posting most of my results here:
This is not a 'carbine match' but an ' As Issued' Service Rifle match at 100 yrds using the SR-1 targets.   
If you're lucky enough to find a club doing a CMP carbine match,  IIRC that's all shot at 100 yards.

Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2022 at 12:06pm
Thanks for all the good info!  Mine was definitely staked for an adjustable sight then.  I went and bought a type 2 sight and type 3 barrel band, I’m going to install those over the weekend.  The rear sight removal tool I saw looks like a glorified C clamp, so I’ll probably just make my own and save my $50.  

I was thinking CMP type match yup, but I still need to look into clubs that are close to me.  I’m getting ready to move from AZ to WA though, so maybe I’ll wait until then.  
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2022 at 12:51pm
I bought the Mattrix sight pusher.  With the lower screws its pretty easy to adapt it to other sight pushing needs.  Which is why I bought it.

I agree that its probably not that difficult to adapt a C-clamp with some hardwood, or make something from scratch out of metal.  Spread the load on the reciever so its not concentrated. 

Front sight.  H'm  I recall drilling a block of wood and then sawing it in half.   Then shaping to clear the protective sight wings.   That was for a support block when driving out the locking cross pin.   I bought a set of brass drifts/ punches.   Can always use those.
For pulling the sight off the barrel, I splurged for the puller.  Could it be tapped off?  Probably.  Could try with non marring mallet of softwood block...     I didn't want to start a project and then if it wasn't working out have to wait for the tool.   That's just me and my current situation (no spare space).

For matches, the CMP's calendar is helpful and allows searches specifically for carbine.
However I've also found many club's in Penna. have CMP type matches but their own variation or they don't submit results.  Those can be found only be looking at each club's website.  I went to one of those that looked promising but was disappointing.  Probably a hit or miss type thing.

CMP's match search is in the Competition Tracker.  Yea they make it hard to find.

Go to the bottom and fill in the State and the bottom box where it says "must Include" and select Carbine.

Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2022 at 11:57am
Quote I bought the Mattrix sight pusher.  With the lower screws its pretty easy to adapt it to other sight pushing needs.

Ah, that's a good idea, I didn't think of that.  I'll probably get it then.  It looks like WA does have a match, thanks for the link!  Not to turn this into a political post, but I've been reading up WA and didn't know their gun laws were stricter than AZ, so I'm glad there are still competitions and clubs.  I guess I'll have to pin my mags to 10rds though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12