Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arlington Import with Type 1 Barrel Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arlington Import with Type 1 Barrel Band
    Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 12:49am
Hello!

I just purchased an import marked carbine, and am wondering if mine might be an outlier.  It's marked Arl. Ord. import on the barrel, but as far as I can tell the receiver was never refinished.  It also has a type 1 barrel band, type 3 push button safety, and type 2 magazine catch.  I would have thought that all of that would have been replaced after ww2, and refinished, long before we gave them to the Koreans.  Does that seem plausible, or do you think someone tried to "correct it" to USGI spec at some point after it was imported back to the US?

Thanks!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 12:55am
Welcome to the forum. Need to see some pictures.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2022 at 10:34am
Welcome! I think it is entirely possible. I have a PW Arms import from Midway, that had a type one band on it and am certain it was never refinished after learning more. Mine is an Inland, and this picture right confirmed to me it wasn't refinished after asking a few folks who have forgotten more than I will ever learn. Since yours is not an Inland, this will not tell you what we need to know. Like Wayne said, post some pictures.

Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 7:17pm
Thanks to both of you!  Actually mine is an Inland too.

The barrel being a lighter color in the first half made me wonder if it had a type 3 barrel band at one point, but only has impression marks where the type 1 band is.  I'm also fairly certain someone replaced the rear sight with a Fulton Armory flip sight.

Thanks!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 7:27pm
Thinking someone tried to "correct" it. Definitely had an adjustable rear sight on it at one time, looks like a type 3 band shadow too. The stock may have been changed, a decent looking import regardless. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 7:45pm
Just removed the sight on my import. I got lucky. 
Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 9:03pm
That makes sense to me.  I'll probably swap it to a type 2 rear sight and back to a type 3 band then, I like the idea of competing with it and I read that the type 3 barrel band helps with accuracy a lot.  
Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 9:13pm
Ah yup, that pretty much confirms it.  Mine must've had an adjustable sight on it whenever they applied what causes that greenish brownish color.  Other's I've looked that have been refinished had a gray color to them, do you know what finish they put on ours that causes that green/bronze finish?  
Rezin777 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rezin777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Kenshaugh Kenshaugh wrote:

Ah yup, that pretty much confirms it.  Mine must've had an adjustable sight on it whenever they applied what causes that greenish brownish color.  Other's I've looked that have been refinished had a gray color to them, do you know what finish they put on ours that causes that green/bronze finish?  

Found a thread about the green color on the CMP forums that might interest you.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 10:03pm
I was posting the pic of my dovetail for show how it wasn’t staked for an adjustable sight. I believe the off color on my dovetail to be rust or something of that. I’m not real sure. 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 10:15pm

That makes sense to me.  I'll probably swap it to a type 2 rear sight and back to a type 3 band then, I like the idea of competing with it and I read that the type 3 barrel band helps with accuracy a lot.  

That's what I would do. I have an Inland in the same serial block as yours that has an Arlington import mark on it that could be mistaken for a scratch. It's a good shooter. BTW, the flip sight appears to be a repro. The type 1 band may be legit but need some closer pics from all sides + swivel.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

I was posting the pic of my dovetail for show how it wasn’t staked for an adjustable sight. I believe the off color on my dovetail to be rust or something of that. I’m not real sure. 

Yeah, you got lucky, that's a nice looking dovetail. With the original type 1 band (and front sight never removed?) it's practically begging to be restored.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

Yeah, you got lucky, that's a nice looking dovetail. With the original type 1 band (and front sight never removed?) it's practically begging to be restored.

Yep, it took me a few weeks, but I did find a nice flip sight for it. Will have it in a couple of days! Now all I need is a high wood inland stock with the P on the grip. Already have a late style slide, WITHOUT the part number on it, which I thought would be hard to find. Here’s the flip I have coming. 
Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 10:46pm

That's what I would do. I have an Inland in the same serial block as yours that has an Arlington import mark on it that could be mistaken for a scratch. It's a good shooter. BTW, the flip sight appears to be a repro. The type 1 band may be legit but need some closer pics from all sides + swivel.

Does your's have a flat bolt or a round bolt?  I'm starting to how much of mine is just "corrected" swapped components.  The barrel looked like it hadn't been fired in decades.  I'm thinking it might be a good idea to take it to gunsmith for a once over.
Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2022 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Rezin777 Rezin777 wrote:

Found a thread about the green color on the CMP forums that might interest you.

Thank you!  I’ve been trying to figure that out since I bought it.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2022 at 7:33am

Does your's have a flat bolt or a round bolt?  I'm starting to how much of mine is just "corrected" swapped components.  The barrel looked like it hadn't been fired in decades.  I'm thinking it might be a good idea to take it to gunsmith for a once over.

I bought mine many years ago as a barreled receiver that came with a bag of parts including a refinished flat bolt. It was too good of a deal to pass up, and it was fun to complete as a project.
This serial block should have a blued flat bolt as they were built. Most certainly yours is not the original bolt, there's no effort made to keep them together during rebuild, etc. It would be good to check the headspace with a field gauge, but chances are it's fine.
Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 11:03am
It looks to me like selling the type 1 barrel band mine has would more than cover the cost of a type 2  rear sight and type 3 band.  I’ve been reading up on how to tell if a barrel band is genuine or a reproduction, and I think mine is genuine.  From what I’ve read on the forum ya’ll seem to want to keep some things a secret though.  If I posted more pictures of it, would ya’ll be able to tell me if it’s genuine?  I don’t want to sell it as such without having some confirmation.  Thanks! 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 1:23pm
Post away!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Kenshaugh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenshaugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 8:14pm
Thanks!  Here's the photos

Edited by W5USMC - Sep 23 2022 at 12:50am
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 8:31pm
Looks like an Inland barrel band, but the weld scars don't look quite right to me. Might be original. Need a better resolution shot of the weld scars on the top and a good picture of the front of the band.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>