Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland 5,470,895

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland 5,470,895
    Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 10:45am
Been a while since I bought a carbine, and I think the old adage of "good things come to those who wait" is accurate. 8-44 Barrel dated Inland. Original condition. reading the Newsletters helped me alot (worth every penny, so I recommend buying it if you are reluctant) I am not the best at taking pictures, so I have taken a bunch. I have attached a few here, and the rest can be viewed in the Link I will attach taking you to google photos. I also included the Data sheet. Let me know of any picture taking tips you may have, or things you would like additional pictures of. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tPMWSZLZmdCoqHMN9

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 11:09am
Very nice, pictures and all. Is it an auction rifle...it looks familiar?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 11:11am
Thank you!
Nope, I did not get in from an online auction.  
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 1:14pm
Very nice. I had one in that same serial range. Have you had the buttplate off? An HI stock I have on another carbine was marked with an ink stamped date.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 1:15pm
Really Nice carbine and posts.
That would be a buy in my book even though I'm not looking and don't want a collection per se.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by carbinekid carbinekid wrote:

Very nice. I had one in that same serial range. Have you had the buttplate off? An HI stock I have on another carbine was marked with an ink stamped date.

No, I have not taken the BP off. I took the screw out, but that butt plate has been on there so long, I would literally have to pry it off with a screwdriver or something. About snapped my fingernails off and it still didn’t budge. 
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 4:53pm
Screw driver tip just under the lip of the screw hole and pop the handle with your palm. Typically works in a snap and damages nothing.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 5:56pm
Run it over here Ethan. I’ll pry that rascal off.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 10:06pm
Nice looking rifle. Kind of a funky milling job on the one end of the T3 push safety (Google photos), don't think I've seen one recessed like that, but I could see how it might happen.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Nice looking rifle. Kind of a funky milling job on the one end of the T3 push safety (Google photos), don't think I've seen one recessed like that, but I could see how it might happen.

I’ve seen some pictures of Inlands having circular marks similar to these, and the Winchesters having the actual sawing marks. Helps me ID the unmarked Inland VS WRA ones. Still don’t know how to ID the other unmarked ones LOL
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Run it over here Ethan. I’ll pry that rascal off.

If I run it over, are you gonna try to convert it to a TOK?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2022 at 10:17pm

Hasn’t been sunny here in a few weeks but took it outside today. Looks a little diff in the “daylight” unless I’m imagining things. I also jus wanted an excuse to take it outside so my wife didn’t look at me TOO crazy
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 7:36am
FYI, most wives think their hubbies are crazy so don't worry about it too much. In fact, it's best to ditch the significant other and collect more carbines.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

I’ve seen some pictures of Inlands having circular marks similar to these, and the Winchesters having the actual sawing marks. Helps me ID the unmarked Inland VS WRA ones. Still don’t know how to ID the other unmarked ones LOL

I dunno maybe it's just the picture from that angle or zoom which is causing an optical illusion, but it's like the diameter was milled in at the end leaving a "button" on top. I am referring to the picture in your album that shows the other side of the safety, not the one embedded in your post. Not suggesting it's not right, just that it looks interesting. Something to observe and write besides "nice rifle" :)
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 8:30am
I dunno maybe it's just the picture from that angle or zoom which is causing an optical illusion, but it's like the diameter was milled in at the end leaving a "button" on top. I am referring to the picture in your album that shows the other side of the safety, not the one embedded in your post. Not suggesting it's not right, just that it looks interesting. Something to observe and write besides "nice rifle" :)[/QUOTE]

I had a hard time figuring out the marking on the hammer. It’s is not struck very well at all. 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 8:55am

I had a hard time figuring out the marking on the hammer. It’s is not struck very well at all. 

Yeah, I noticed that you'd taken the liberty of determining it was "HI". I agree that's the most likely option based on how they stamped hammers, it fits the pattern.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 9:25am

I get the impression that you don’t trust me.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 9:26am

Yeah, I noticed that you'd taken the liberty of determining it was "HI". I agree that's the most likely option based on how they stamped hammers, it fits the pattern.

Yeah, honestly I had to reach out to a collector who has seen alot more original inlands than I will probably ever see, and he said it was not uncommon for H.I. Hammers to be struck poorly/faintly and he agreed that one was H.I. 

I still dont guess I know how to describe the color on the data sheets. Or did I do a fair job on this one? 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2022 at 9:30am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I get the impression that you don’t trust me.

I can bring it over. Just want an excuse to play with Callie and show you how to choot a dillo
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2022 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

FYI, most wives think their hubbies are crazy so don't worry about it too much. In fact, it's best to ditch the significant other and collect more carbines.

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but I think I’m stuck. She would end up getting all my carbines in the divorce and selling them for what I told her I paid for them!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>